PDA

View Full Version : Rear spring hat bracing

Parksy
30th August 2013, 07:00 AM
Hi all

I'm keen to get the brace fitted to the top of the spring towers in the rear.
As I understand it there are two types, one that requires a bodylift to be fitted and another that doesnt(more expensive though).
I'm toying with the idea of fitting a 1" body lift and fit the brace while the body is off to make for easier fitment and hopefully the 1" body lift gives the required clearance for the brace.
But will this make my car illegal? It's already fitted with a 2" spring lift. If I needed it to get engineered to make legal, it would just be cheaper to buy the spring brace that doesn't require the body lift.

If anyone has thoughts and opinions on any of these ideas I'm happy to hear it all

Cheers

Bloodyaussie
30th August 2013, 07:28 AM
I think Daz(mudrunner) fitted one did he not??

Send him a PM as he sometimes misses things.... being so old an all!!!

MudRunnerTD
30th August 2013, 08:56 AM
Yeah I have one fitted. The story was on 4wdTV last night actually.

Really impressive but of kit. Only have the single piece brace to suit a body lift. When you do a body lift you don't lift the body OFF the chassis ut just undo all the bolts and jack the body the 1 to 2 inches to allow you to slot the blocks in.

If you have a look in my build thread in my sig line and it should be in last 10 pages or so mate.

You should check the local RTA in Nsw for the rules on a body lift in your state. It will really come down to how hard it is Policed in your area. Plenty of GQs driving around with a 2" spring and a 2" body lift. None will be Engineered here.

The Superior products are great mate. I will likely fit the bolt on kit to the GUIV but its a bit more expensive so will save for that in the coming months.

MudRunnerTD
30th August 2013, 08:57 AM
I think Daz(mudrunner) fitted one did he not??

Please be nice to the Elderly. Sh1t Bag!

Sir Roofy
30th August 2013, 10:14 AM
i think daz(mudrunner) fitted one did he not??

Send him a pm as he sometimes misses things.... Being so old an all!!!

aye whats up your nose mate did mum forget to change your nappy
kids no respect these days

Bloodyaussie
30th August 2013, 11:59 AM
aye whats up your nose mate did mum forget to change your nappy
kids no respect these days

Ha ha... me and Daz are in the same age group...!!!

Hope that helps you out Parksy?

Winnie
30th August 2013, 12:00 PM

Bitch please

Clunk
30th August 2013, 02:35 PM
isnt there an issue with the bolt on kit if you have a long range tank though? In regards to clearances

MudRunnerTD
30th August 2013, 02:40 PM
isnt there an issue with the bolt on kit if you have a long range tank though? In regards to clearances

No i have a Long Range rear tank and all good. Hmmmm? yes there was a slight issue. The top mount of the 2 rear shocks cant be undone once the brace is in. well can, but the shock cant be taken off or refitted with the brace in Position. We found this out the hard way damn it!

So if i want to take a rear shock off then the brace must be unbolted an lifted first. I fitted this brace while doing the lift and fitted it first. we had to remove it to thn fit the shocks and refit it again.

MudRunnerTD
30th August 2013, 02:44 PM
So from page 71 of my build thread have a look at the pics near the bottom of the page and following pages.

MudRunnerTD-s-GQ-From-the-Ground-Up/page71 (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?276-MudRunnerTD-s-GQ-From-the-Ground-Up/page71)

Parksy
30th August 2013, 03:43 PM
That's a nice looking bit of kit MR, but to not be able to remove the rear shocks easily sounds like a big inconvenience.

http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=31_32_33_181&products_id=10673
I'm starting to lean towards this kit at the moment, but I don't understand how this can be fitted without a body lift where as the other(that MR is using) one does? There isn't exactly much clearance on the top of the towers to start removing bolts and moving brake lines and what not. Anyone fitted one? Issues with removing and installing shocks?

Sir Roofy
30th August 2013, 03:48 PM
No i have a Long Range rear tank and all good. Hmmmm? yes there was a slight issue. The top mount of the 2 rear shocks cant be undone once the brace is in. well can, but the shock cant be taken off or refitted with the brace in Position. We found this out the hard way damn it!

So if i want to take a rear shock off then the brace must be unbolted an lifted first. I fitted this brace while doing the lift and fitted it first. we had to remove it to thn fit the shocks and refit it again.

does the brace interfere with the top of the shock bolt, no rubbing

Clunk
30th August 2013, 03:49 PM

Not the brace you have MR, the other one...... the one that bolts on to other place other than the spring tops mount thingies

MudRunnerTD
30th August 2013, 04:26 PM
does the brace interfere with the top of the shock bolt, no rubbing

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

MudRunnerTD
30th August 2013, 04:29 PM
Not the brace you have MR, the other one...... the one that bolts on to other place other than the spring tops mount thingies

Nah looks ok I think.

Have a look through these fitting instructions, some good pics in there.

Superior Spring Tower Brace kit Installation Instructions (http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/files/File/NIS%20WAGON%20COIL%20TOWER%20BRACEfitting%20wat.pd f)

Clunk
30th August 2013, 06:32 PM
Nah looks ok I think.

Have a look through these fitting instructions, some good pics in there.

Superior Spring Tower Brace kit Installation Instructions (http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/files/File/NIS%20WAGON%20COIL%20TOWER%20BRACEfitting%20wat.pd f)

I thought that I'd seen it mentioned somewhere, it does actually state on the link Parksy put up th following

"If this brace is to be fitted with AmadaXtreme shocks then a spacer kit is needed for the brake proportioning valve
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE KIT

long ranger brand fuel tanks & aftermarket exhausts may not fit with this brace kit,
Please call to check before purchasing.

CLICK HERE FOR FITTING INSTRUCTIONS"

so no, it may not affect all long range tanks..... but could

happygu
30th August 2013, 06:39 PM
Parksy,

I had Brown Davis Automotive weld gussets on the rear spring towers into my last two Patrols, and they have done them slightly differently both times, but it fits with the standard body mounts and gives me a little peace of mind that it will cope OK with all the weight.

It ended up costing around $350, and you could try to get someone up your way to do something similar.

Mic

Parksy
14th September 2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks all for your posts and help. I got the approval from the wife and bought the kit that doesn't require a body lift from superior engineering. Nice and legal. Ill post pictures when I fit it. Looking forward.:)

Parksy
18th September 2013, 01:58 PM
Kit arrived today and it's very impressive looking. I think the diffs would bend before braking your spring hats with these bad boys installed.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/FFBAF01E-F74B-49FB-AEC9-3B5BF20BAAE2-1008-000000C5C03AAD27_zps4b554124.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/35822FFC-2133-4D10-8360-D3CE7DA434D2-1008-000000C5C986AAA0_zpsa422ef37.jpg

Will post up photos when I get around to fitting them.

MudRunnerTD
18th September 2013, 10:27 PM
Holy sh1t!!!! Looks sweat!!!

BigRAWesty
19th September 2013, 04:46 AM
Holy sh1t!!!! Looks sweat!!!

X2. They don't look that heavy in the pics..

Parksy
19th September 2013, 06:26 PM
Got the passenger side in this afternoon. Wasn't quite that awesome an experience I was after, took a little longer than I expected, but it looks solid. Will try and fit the drivers side tomorrow followed by pictures.

Parksy
20th September 2013, 04:14 PM
Drivers side installed. Will post up pics soon. Some tips for the job, get ahold of a 12mm and a 17mm ratchet spanner. Will need vice grips to remove the captive bolts that hold the brake lines to the spring hats. The u bolts are a pain to torque down but a ratcheting spanner should make this a little easier. I spent an hour on them but I only had a regular open ended spanner. There are 6 bolts that hold the brace to the spring hat and on the drivers side, the middle ones will need trimming, otherwise they will extend 5-8mm past the brace and push the brake lines up. Otherwise not too bad to install.

Parksy
21st September 2013, 12:34 PM
Thick slab of steel firmly bolted to the top of the spring hat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/173211C2-EE7E-4B01-9678-06AA4A7DEB05-1945-000001823B308625_zps8391ba16.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/198D9EFC-D2BB-4D5B-A7AB-3106CE6C9C28-1969-0000018467B5C01E_zps90be7110.jpg
Passenger side
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/E36B30B2-A33A-4C26-B04E-878E09EE45EE-169-00000004E91426E8_zps9386fde9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/A1BA3249-47C4-4D97-87A8-753C0F75CC4F-169-00000004F20B2D5D_zps0d4835dc.jpg
The brake lines appear to be touching the brace, but there is sufficient clearance and they don't budge/vibrate
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/771F7B50-D09B-43F3-8B51-5D2A9FF1374B-169-00000004FC1DA4C8_zps29671d63.jpg

You can see in some of the pictures there is red silicone on top of the spring. I only used this to try and hold the spacer that comes with the kit in place while the springs get installed. Tried double sides tape, but it just wouldn't stick to the spacer, so lots of silicone, enough to cause a suction effect, and it stayed in place nicely.
Forgot to mention that the exhaust caused slight issues when installing the passenger side, I just needed to man handle the brace into place.

megatexture
21st September 2013, 12:39 PM
Do they recommend jacking the body to relax the mounts before tightening the 3 middle adjustable bolts?

Parksy
21st September 2013, 12:44 PM
Do they recommend jacking the body to relax the mounts before tightening the 3 middle adjustable bolts?

I printed off the instructions and there was no mention of doing this. Everything is installed loosely, then everything is done up bar the tensioning bolt or those 3 you mentioned. The tensioning bolt is torqued just enough to put some preload on the spring hat, then the 3 get torqued to hold it in place.