PDA

View Full Version : Got the boost gauge rattle

Nvd323
29th August 2013, 08:11 PM
Hi all.
Im really over the boost gaugue rattle in my GU. I've tryed putting a damper in the vac line which helped but its still there. The question is what gauge do i get that is deffinitly not going to rattle and wont break my bank.

Cheers Ryan

fishnsurf
29th August 2013, 08:29 PM
Howdy I have a auto meter Cabot it's been installed for about 18mths and has not missed a beat would recommend them def no noise .... I was told the noise was from a leak but not sure ... My hose from intercooler pipe to gauge is the small hard plastic type ...

Ben-e-boy
29th August 2013, 08:33 PM
I have boost and oil on the right hand side of the instrument cluster, the gauges are kn pods and the are velcroed to the dash, together and to the a pillar, havent moved in 3 years

trekster
29th August 2013, 08:50 PM
Buy a digital one then it won't rattle :D

Nvd323
29th August 2013, 09:00 PM
Hey that's true didn't think of a digital one that's and idea. Any one using VDO ? A mate of mine had one seems to good. My gauge isn't designed for the diesel motor that's y I'm getting the rattle and Major bouncing of the needle at idle...

Parksy
29th August 2013, 09:22 PM
I take it that it's a mechanical gauge with a hose from the engine? If that's the case then the hose acts like a stethoscope and the gauge just amplifies the noise in the cabin. It's worse when using copper hose, but apparently putting a loop in the hose before it enters the cabin can help.

Nvd323
29th August 2013, 09:37 PM
Yeahhh mech gauge plastic line. Yeah did read that while searching google. I dont think I've left enough hose though ill go buy rubber line tomorrow or might just get a auto meter gauge for diesel boost

trekster
29th August 2013, 09:43 PM
If you're on a budget like me I bought a digital boost gauge from repco when they had the sale $39, it's for a petrol but that doesn't matter to me as it just sits on 0 when not on boost....

Cheers,
Eric.

Nvd323
29th August 2013, 09:48 PM
Cheers trekster ill check that out tomorrow are they 52mm?

trekster
29th August 2013, 10:02 PM
Cheers trekster ill check that out tomorrow are they 52mm?

Yeah mate and they are on special again!

http://catalogues.repco.com.au/offer/automotive-accessories/autotecnica-led-gauges/4vnbflspi.html?source=catalogue

They come with their own map sensor and you just hook it all up and away you go!

Nvd323
29th August 2013, 10:05 PM
Ohh awsome thanks for that bud

trekster
29th August 2013, 10:06 PM
Also, See this thread for some pics of my gauge

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?18409-Where-do-you-guys-like-to-stick-it

cheers,
Eric.

threedogs
30th August 2013, 11:22 AM
I have heard that digital gauges flicker, That's why I don't have them

trekster
30th August 2013, 01:57 PM
I have heard that digital gauges flicker, That's why I don't have them

Mine has no flickering issues, if it did after a year or two then I'd just buy another one as for $40 can't really go wrong ;)

Cheers,
Eric.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Nvd323
30th August 2013, 02:59 PM
Just thought id let you know i managed to stop the rattle/vibration but stuffing some foam in the damper just before the gauge it now A1. For the future though id just recommend an electric gauge alot less mucking around :smiley_thumbs_up:

Robo
31st August 2013, 12:55 PM
I needed an extra 2 vac lines over the available std fittings.
So drill an extra 1/8 post no problem.
turns out, lower in the manifold is more susceptible to fluctuation in vacum.
seems I found a spot that has poor constant vacum
My vac gauge started to rattle as you guys are describing.

It may just pay to try a different hook up point.
You might solve the unwanted rattle.