PDA

View Full Version : GQ A/T filter

Clunk
29th August 2013, 06:02 PM
G'day guys, can't find what I'm looking for, so here goes.

Looking at just changing the ATF soon, so was phoning around for prices for all the bits. Anyway just out of interest called the local Nissan dealer and they advised that a filter shouldn't be required as they were infact washable. How interesting I thought!!!!
Does anyone know if this is indeed true and if it is true, how would you wash them. Serious answers please because this could save me $100 that I don't really have.

Cheers
Adrian

NissanGQ4.2
29th August 2013, 06:24 PM
Never heard of them been washable Adrian

Is that an oe filter being around 100 bucks???? You can get them aftermarket for around 50 bucks including freight.

I have tried ringing my old man to see what he thinks ( GQ owner + ex diesel mechanic ) but is not answering, will try him again later

I changed my filter when I rebuild but it was included in the rebuild kit so didn't even consider washing it out

Don't see why nissan would tell you you can wash them out if you can't

Clunk
29th August 2013, 06:34 PM
Yeah OEM filter from one of the companies over east, not sure if they're vendors on here anymore so will not mention names.

Also getting A/T pan gasket and exhaust manifold gasket from them too. Also just going to get the Nissan Dmatic ATF, I know it's more expensive than other stuff but I don't want any issues occurring if I use anything else. So if I don't need to replace the filter, I won't.

taslucas
29th August 2013, 06:37 PM
Don't see why nissan would tell you you can wash them out if you can't

yeah usually they do the opposite just to get more bucks out of ya

NissanGQ4.2
29th August 2013, 07:52 PM
Just spoke to my old man Adrain

He doesn't believe they are washable and also said that he believes that they are a sealed unit so would not recommend trying to clean them anyway and said to use a qood brand filter.

He also said if he remembers correctly besides the pan gasket there is also an o-ring that needs replacing.

Ring wholesale automatics and speak to Rodney he would be able to advise you if its washable and whats needed

Sorry I can't be more helpful

Cheers

Toddie

Clunk
29th August 2013, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the info and the effort Todd very much appreciated, I'll get in touch with Rod tomorrow. I've got pricing for the filter, O-ring, pan gasket, oh and also exhaust manifold gaskets already. All OEM from the mob over East. Much much cheaper than Nissan obviously.

Will be interesting to see if it can be washed though......

Will keep you posted

Clunk
30th August 2013, 04:01 PM
Just got off the phone to Rod at Wholesale Automatics, he's confirmed what Todds old man had said (thanks Todd). The filters are indeed definitely NOT washable as there is no way to clean out the middle section. Gave me a bloody good price on the full kit too - not OEM obviously.

NissanGQ4.2
30th August 2013, 04:40 PM
Just got off the phone to Rod at Wholesale Automatics, he's confirmed what Todds old man had said (thanks Todd). The filters are indeed definitely NOT washable as there is no way to clean out the middle section. Gave me a bloody good price on the full kit too - not OEM obviously.

Adrian, from what I have heard Wholesales and a few other auto trans workshops supply better oil filters than OEM anyway, so if you're getting it from wholesale you're getting it at a better price and a better filter :):):)