PDA

View Full Version : Picking the right turbo.

Bigbird91
28th August 2013, 10:30 PM
G'day guys

I've come up with the great idea of bolting a turbo onto my 89 td42. I'm doing it myself as I'm trying to keep the costs down. I'm just struggling with picking the right one from going all out on an expensive turbo or going with something a bit cheaper that will do the job. I'm wondering what people have used, tried and tested (brands, sizes and all the other stuff) and how they have stood up to the torture or if they have let go just looking at them.

Justin

MudRunnerTD
28th August 2013, 10:36 PM
What do you do with the car? How hard do you want to go and how uh do you want to spend. The TD42 loves Turbos.

Bigbird91
28th August 2013, 10:47 PM
It's my daily. I do a bit of towing and a weekend away playing every couple months (usually sand) but nothing serious. I'm not wanting to spend heaps but not wanting to go stupid cheap so that it doesn't last. Sort of wondering if some of these cheaper turbos are any good and there is no real need to spend heaps.

Bigbird91
28th August 2013, 10:50 PM
I do plan on doing a 3" lift and 33" when money permits. That's when it starts to get a bit more serious but that will probably be a while away.

Winnie
28th August 2013, 10:52 PM
I have gone a Garrett GTX2863 which is a pretty mild setup and am making 120kw running 16psi boost. Great for daily driving, occasional towing etc with a good bit of power behind you.

MudRunnerTD
28th August 2013, 11:19 PM
I have gone a Garrett GTX2863 which is a pretty mild setup and am making 120kw running 16psi boost. Great for daily driving, occasional towing etc with a good bit of power behind you.

Winnie has a GU 11mm pump though so you could probably drop 20 kw off that with a GQ 10mm pump and another 10kw without an Intercooler

graeme1969
28th August 2013, 11:40 PM
Big Bird.

Going on your efforts in the last week maybe you should look at getting a winch. That way you might get yourself out when stuck 3m from the blacktop.

Bigbird91
29th August 2013, 12:02 AM
How long have you been running the Garrett Winnie? I was gonna set it up with a top mount cooler.... That comes after picking a turbo though as far as sizes and what not. I have heard a few people have used standard xr6t coolers But just one step at a time at the moment.