PDA

View Full Version : Fitting AVM HP manual Hubs GU IV

TimE
28th August 2013, 03:43 PM
I am seeking advice from members who have installed and used the AVM HP hubs.

I have a set of AVM HP Manual Hubs, to replace my Auto hubs on my GU IV, on order, should arrive early next week.

I have searched this site and the web to find details on fitting. The issues that have come up based on all the "guff" I found are these:

Some recommend using locktight on all the bolts, both base plate and top cover, others recommend against because the cover Torx bolts strip easily, yet others suggest using anti sieze spray.

Some suggest using sowing machine oil to lubricate prior to fitting, others suggest a smear of wheel bearing grease or "pack" and yet others suggest nothing at all.

Torque settings for both set of bolts (base plate and cover) are nowhere to be found.

Would appreciate comments from those with direct experience.

I have removed and reinstalled the Auto hubs in the past using a "smear" of wheel bearing grease, that was straight forward.

TimE
29th August 2013, 02:52 PM
OK, in the absence of any reply this is what I have done. Please let me know if I am a mechanical richard cranium :)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/08/2.gif

Removed the Auto hub easily by first locking the auto hub, then undoing the 6 X 8mm hex bolts that hold it in place, loctite had been used so a bar on the allen key to "crack" the loctite and all came off within a couple of minutes.

I put a "smear" of high temp grease (because that grease was handy) on the moving "cog" surfaces, the 6 X 8 mm hex blots that hold the base where all given a dose of blue loctite and fitted with as much effort as I could apply using a short bar (I'm old and weak so maybe around 50-60nm). The T15 torx bolts that hold the cover on where not loctited, but where tightened as tight as my little girlie arms could do using a screwdriver type tool with a T15 bit. Popped the hub cap back on and all was done.

Took me about 20 minutes in total. Hopefully they will work well and hold together better than the Autos.

If bits fall off or break I'll let you know.

MudRunnerTD
29th August 2013, 04:43 PM
Sorry Time, I saw your thread the other day and was on the phone and did not get back to you.

What you have done sounds fine mate.

Did they come with the required "Egg ring" spacers?

TimE
29th August 2013, 05:01 PM
Did they come with the required "Egg ring" spacers?

No Egg ring spacers , its was straight simple replacement bolt on for the GU IV auto hub . No circlips to worry about either. As mentioned above just bolt on the base using a new provided gasket, then screw on the top cover, also with gasket, and all seems good. Turns from 4x2 to 4x4 easily making the required clicky noises.

This (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-AVM-Manual-Hubs-Nissan-GQ-GU-Patrol-Ford-Maverick-SWB-TD4-2-2-8-3-0-4-5-4-8-/181168667374?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2e7e7aee)is what I bought from evilbay :devilred:

MudRunnerTD
29th August 2013, 05:10 PM
Yeah right! OK. i expected them to just be a copy of the Nissan Manual hubs but they are nothing like it! they are far closer in spec to a Manualised Auto Hub rather than the Nissan Manual Hub. Very similar concept to the OEM Auto Hub without the Auto function.

So the Circlip is retained on the inner groove of the stub axle? You probably did not touch it!

Will be very interested to hear some feed back when you have used them a few times TimE

Cheers MR

Drew
29th August 2013, 05:20 PM
Yeah me too (for towing)

TimE
29th August 2013, 06:10 PM
Apart from the alleged fragility of the Auto Hubs, the main reason for replacing them was there habit of disengaging in reverse, not good when trying to back out of muddy steep ruts, and their occasional failure to disengage when 2 WD was selected. Got sick of manually locking them in and having to stop and reverse to try and disengage them. Also, doing a bit of remote travel (Simpson for the 3rd time in June) I was starting to worry about the auto hubs lasting the use/abuse they get.

So, hopefully the AVMs will engage when I twist the knob and disengage when I twist it back, and last through the demands I place on them. For an all up cost of $262.50 I'm happy to give them a go.

Winnie
29th August 2013, 06:46 PM
You know what people talk crap about how the auto hubs are crap and what not but I had them and I loved them in my old car. That being said, I now have manual hubs and am more confident in them, but I never had a drama with my auto hubs, always behaved as they should.

Drew
29th August 2013, 07:27 PM
After having my navara I do prefer manual

TimE
14th December 2013, 10:53 AM
An update on the AVM HP hubs, they have been given a good work out and performed well, no issues. Good to know that when reversing out of a boggy rut the front wheels remained engaged and when I unlocked them they were unlocked!. I'm happy so far. :)

lhurley
14th December 2013, 03:55 PM
It might pay to upgrade the torx screws to something stronger. I had avm hubs on my car when i bought it, and the first time i tried to take them off, i broke 7 tools. Yes 7. Also stripped a couple screws. Eventually a couple more seized/stripped out later on and i had to cut them off.

mudski
15th December 2013, 02:03 PM
It might pay to upgrade the torx screws to something stronger. I had avm hubs on my car when i bought it, and the first time i tried to take them off, i broke 7 tools. Yes 7. Also stripped a couple screws. Eventually a couple more seized/stripped out later on and i had to cut them off.

Yeah mine were the same. I destroyed four torx bits and the last screw wouldn't budge and the head of the torx bit broke off in it. So I had no choice after effing around for an hour to break the bugger. So now my old converted manual/ auto hubs are back on.
If I am to buy them again I will be using never seize on the tapered section of those small screws. As mud and dirt caught behind them is what stopped the screws from coming out.

FNQGU
15th December 2013, 03:03 PM
That is a good tip actually. I use that stuff on a lot of bolts, but will have to check my hubs.

NissanGQ4.2
15th December 2013, 03:15 PM
Yeah mine were the same. I destroyed four torx bits and the last screw wouldn't budge and the head of the torx bit broke off in it. So I had no choice after effing around for an hour to break the bugger. So now my old converted manual/ auto hubs are back on.
If I am to buy them again I will be using never seize on the tapered section of those small screws. As mud and dirt caught behind them is what stopped the screws from coming out.

Just goes 2 prove the original auto hubs are better than aftermarket manual hubs*LMAO*

mudski
15th December 2013, 04:15 PM
Just goes 2 prove the original auto hubs are better than aftermarket manual hubs*LMAO*

Well I kinda think they are better in a way as you don't have to worry about those stupid little screws jamming if you ever need to remove them. One would be in all sorts of poo if you had the issue I had out in the bush.
I will probably just leave the hubs I have on...

BigRAWesty
17th October 2015, 05:39 PM
Ok guys I know this is an old thread but as far as I can see the peice that slips onto the drive spline simply slips on?? Mine has no circlip on the outer groove but dammed if I can move it..
Is the circlip in front of the main plate or behind it with wheel bearings??

BigRAWesty
17th October 2015, 05:40 PM
This is the bit which won't budge
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/210.jpg

garett
17th October 2015, 06:11 PM
mine just slipped off easy as but looks like you had water in it. umm good luck try inox and clean the spline with a wire bush. no shouldn't be anything holding it in if you removed the front circlip. ( gq hubs anyway)

BigRAWesty
17th October 2015, 06:18 PM
mine just slipped off easy as but looks like you had water in it. umm good luck try inox and clean the spline with a wire bush. no shouldn't be anything holding it in if you removed the front circlip. ( gq hubs anyway)
As I though. Yea it's not pretty. Tried brake clean and then freeze and release.
Might try crc and a few taps with the soft punch to try and loosen.

lhurley
17th October 2015, 07:46 PM
Give it clean up with a wire brush. Should just easily slide on and off.

BigRAWesty
17th October 2015, 09:47 PM
Seeing I had no clip outside I'll assume it's inside.
Is it safe to lever the backing plate of the locking up off the brake hub??

lhurley
17th October 2015, 10:23 PM
Try grab it with some multi grips maybe? Beeing that your just getting these ready for the swap, maybe soak them in your penetrant of choice. Shouldn't be anything stopping it.

Failing that I can't see why some gentle leverage wouldn't work.

BigRAWesty
17th October 2015, 10:31 PM
Yea tried grips and no go..
Have tried some gentle taps with a punch but there is a little end float in the shaft and that ain't helping.
Will let it sit overnight with crc threw it and maybe a better chance tomorrow..

BigRAWesty
17th October 2015, 10:32 PM
I'm up for new locking hubs anyway. Someone obviously didn't think..
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/238.jpg

lhurley
18th October 2015, 07:16 PM
I'm up for new locking hubs anyway. Someone obviously didn't think

Holy hell. They must of absolutely belted the bejeezus out of them

BigRAWesty
18th October 2015, 07:26 PM
Holy hell. They must of absolutely belted the bejeezus out of them
Yea I'll assume someone tried taking them off then after farking them put it in the to hard basket

mudski
18th October 2015, 07:28 PM
Get some oem auto hubs and convert them to manual. Shiploads better than AVM hubs imo.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
18th October 2015, 07:28 PM
Anyway. Yes circlip was behind..
And my inner "collar" was one with the backing plate.. so once free the hole unit slide off as one..http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/261.jpg