PDA

View Full Version : Winter/Spring camping spots - VIC

twisties
26th August 2013, 11:46 PM
A mate and I are planning to go camping in the coming school holidays. Normally we head into the high country but I'm not too sure what tracks might be closed at the moment.

Drop toilets is about as much comfort as we require, some good fishing potential and a reasonably out of the way to hopefully avoid noisy people.

Anyone know any good places to aim for that are safe from closed tracks?

threedogs
27th August 2013, 07:33 AM
Out the back of SheepYards Flat , take fly rod or light spin outfit.

Drewboyaus
27th August 2013, 07:39 AM
Out the back of SheepYards Flat , take fly rod or light spin outfit.

That whole section of Howqua River is great for fishing. You can walk it for miles.
Try camping at Blackbird flat (just before you cross the bridge into Sheepyard) it's a nicer spot away from the hordes. Most people just drive right by it and if you get the far corner, you'll have awesome river frontage.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Drewboyaus
27th August 2013, 07:46 AM
I'm also a big fan of the MacAlister River and there are some awesome spots in there near Licola that should still be accessible but they don't have drop dunnies.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Bob
27th August 2013, 08:03 AM
Try this mate. On the Murray River

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?20229-Wide-Beach-on-the-Murray-(Near-Strathmerton)

threedogs
27th August 2013, 09:25 AM
x 2 on the Murray very hard to have a bad day sitting on the banks contemplating life. lol
My personal choice too, going on 13th of Sept with a few from here more than welcome, not sure on
school holidays times either.

twisties
28th August 2013, 01:44 PM
Cheers guys,

Haven't tried a river beach before, I'll run it past the others and see what they think. Might be a little too close to civilization lol.
We've been down Howqua before, only stayed at Running Creek but took a drive around sheepyard etc and for some reason I'd completely forgotten about them as options.
Love the howqua river but the spots down there can get crowded, especially with noisy *****s.

Hopefully, wherever we go, the coldish weather will keep the undesirables away.

Gonna have a look at MacAlister River now.