PDA

View Full Version : Stiff ride

Parksy
26th August 2013, 07:49 PM
Hi all

Have a lwb gq sitting on 2 inch king springs and ultima shocks which I find for everyday driving quite harsh and bumpy. I was hoping someone could recommend a good shock for everyday driving that's not going to rattle my teeth out.

Are gq's by nature harsh and bumpy?

Cheers

Andy

MudRunnerTD
26th August 2013, 07:58 PM
What weight rating are the springs? The harsh ride is more likely the springs than the shocks. The shocks just dampen the spring. If you had fully adjustable shocks you can certainly set them very hard and effectively shut off the dampening in both directions and gets harsh but if they are to adjustable then I'd be thinking the springs are your biggest issue.

Drewboyaus
26th August 2013, 08:30 PM
When I lifted mine I chose the spring rate based on the future fitout. So I took into consideration dual batteries, winch & cable up front and drawer system, rear bar, long range tank, fridge etc up the back.
What it meant was that before I had fitted out most of that gear the Q drove like a go-kart.
GQ's are no cushy Landcruiser though so are a little harsh at the best of times but mine rides very nicely now with the extra weight on board.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Parksy
26th August 2013, 08:51 PM
Valid points, I do seem to recal picking the heavy duty springs as opposed to the more cushier items thinking that one day I was going to load the vehicle up with everything, although I don't see that happening anytime soon so I might have to invest in softer springs then?

MudRunnerTD
26th August 2013, 08:54 PM
Valid points, I do seem to recal picking the heavy duty springs as opposed to the more cushier items thinking that one day I was going to load the vehicle up with everything, although I don't see that happening anytime soon so I might have to invest in softer springs then?

Springs are really easy and fast to swap out. It would be reasonable to buy some softer springs and fit them for your day to day and general offroad and fit the HD springs when touring which you might do a couple of times a year. Happy days.

BigRAWesty
27th August 2013, 10:40 AM
Or fit softer springs and get airbag assisters to help carry the extra load..