PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox and Clutch

whitestickle
8th January 2011, 10:29 AM
Hi everyone
I am puting a new gearbox and clutch in next week and any handy tip or advice would be great as i have only ever done this on cars not 4wd
thanks whitestickle

YNOT
8th January 2011, 10:43 AM
Remove the transfer case before you remove the gearbox, it makes the gearbox a lot easier to handle.

Tony

whitestickle
8th January 2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks have to split the 2 anyway so that make sense

gibbon
9th January 2011, 06:58 PM
is it a gq
if so hav a look at the clutch fork pivot 4 me n c if it can be adjusted
b4 i hav 2 pull mine apart
if u get a chance
thanks

YNOT
9th January 2011, 07:00 PM
Good thinking Gibbon, but may not fully answer your question, RB30 has a different gearbox.

Tony

whitestickle
9th January 2011, 07:26 PM
i can do that but as ynot said mine is a is a rb30 gearbox so if you dont have the same mite not help

Finly Owner
10th January 2011, 12:49 AM
go to a hire shop and hire a transmission jack that'll help with weight of box

whitestickle
10th January 2011, 08:33 AM
thanks will have to ring bout not a great deal of hire shop where i am in tassie

Ben-e-boy
16th January 2011, 07:08 PM
i can do that but as ynot said mine is a is a rb30 gearbox so if you dont have the same mite not help

your lucky!!! the gearbox/tranfer assembly for a td42 weighs close to 200kg. it made me think twice about pulling it out myself

mackayboi
19th January 2011, 03:55 PM
Hello, just a few curious questions...

What is the average life of a transmission... (of course varies on use of truck ie heavy towing, heavy off road...)

Is there transmission oil to regularly change?

What made you need to change transmission (apart from complete failure of gearbox)...

Thanks

tkn
27th January 2011, 03:19 PM
General answers to some of your questions -

1. Life of a gearbox (general duties including [not constant] towing) is about 250000Km - some models last longer, some less so.

2. Two lots of transmission oil to change - first lot in the gearbox itself and second lot in the transfer case.
The oil in the transfer case may be thicker (i.e. heavier) than the gearbox oil.
If your gear changes are difficult when the vehicle is cold, you might look at a lighter oil - e.g. grade 80 instead of 90

John The Pilot
27th August 2012, 09:45 AM
Hi Whitestickle,

In answer to your questions of how to remove the gearbox this is how I did it on my own. First I used 4 car ramps that got the Ute about two foot clearance under the vehicle. Next remove all the inetrior parts Eg. seats, floor mats and gear stick boots. Now beg, borrow or hire a transmission jack this made the job so much easier. Remove the drive shafts, exhaust, hand brake cable and all the wiring. Place the transmission jack under the main section of the gearbox and using the chains firmly tie it down. Take the weight and undo the rear gearbox mount and remove, slowly lower so that the sump is nearly on the tie rod, place a jack and piece of ftat wood under the sump and take the weight. Remove all the bolts and now carefully move the box back away form the motor about 3 inches, slowly lower and move back. The gearbox should lean down at the rear and give you enough clearance to turn the gearbox 45 degrees with the rear section going under the chassis rail. Continue to lower and move the box up the gearbox well away from the motor. Change the clutch assembly and do the revervse to put the box back in. Also I found using the wind up jack on the back of the box helped raise the box in line with the motor, place it on the tramission jack itself so it can be raised at the same time.
I hope this helps

John The Pilot.