PDA

View Full Version : Help with GU Purchase

Lambroast
7th January 2011, 06:12 PM
Hi all,

Got a mate just looking into joining the Patrol club by buying a 98 GU 2.8T.
He's asked me to give it a once over and it seems to be OK. Just wondering about the 'Hand Grenade' thing, and what to look out for.

It's a DX, got about 270k on the clock, about a 3" lift kit, and he wants about 14k for it.

Whaddaya's reckon ?

Cheers
Simon

Bob
7th January 2011, 06:15 PM
Hi all,

He's asked me to give it a once over and it seems to be OK. Just wondering about the 'Hand Grenade' thing, and what to look out for.

It's a DX, got about 270k on the clock, about a 3" lift kit, and he wants about 14k for it.

Whaddaya's reckon ?

Cheers
Simon

The Hand Grenade was for the 4 cylinder 3.0 L diesel

The 2.8 L is a six cylinder and whilst a little underpowered is still a good perfomer.
If your lucky YNOT will answer your enquiry. (He is a Guru)

Woof
7th January 2011, 06:16 PM
As far as I know the Grenade thing was only restricted to 2000 to 2003 3.0 motors, never heard on any issues with the 2.8s but someone else may have..

Clunk
7th January 2011, 06:27 PM
14K sounds a bit steep to me, I almost bought the same model and year but with 217k on the clock for $11K but found my prefered GQ just before signing the dotted line

YNOT
7th January 2011, 06:28 PM
Cheers Bob.

Bob is correct, it was the 4 cylinder ZD30 engine that hand grenade issues.

Nothing major to look out for, the usual service history, oil and coolant condition etc etc. On any GU wagon look for cracks in the rear door frame ond the large barn door (the one with the spare on it). Open the door and look down the edge, cracks normally appear about level with the bottom of the window.
Take a good torch with you and have a good look underneath for damage and signs of rust or corrosion. Look into all the hard to get to places. Check the gearbox cross member for impact damage. This is the lowest point of the chassis and will be the first place to get damaged off road so it's a good tell tale as to how the vehicle has been used.

On a road test watch for exhaust smoke, a small amount of black smoke on acceleration is normal, excessive black smoke or blue or white smoke is not. Feel for grinding from the gearbox on gearchanges indicating worn synchro's.
If you can find a patch of dirt, put it in 4WD and lock the hubs. Do a tight turn in either direction and listen for clicking from the CV joints.

$14k is over priced as others have already said.

That's all I can think of for now.

Tony

Bob
7th January 2011, 06:28 PM
Strange in Red Book I cannot find a 1998 DX with a 2.8L Motor but a 1998 ST with a 2.8L Motor is valued in Red Book as follows:-
Private Sale $9,000 - $11,300
Ave K's 195,000 to 325,000
Trade In Price $6,300 - $8,600

MQ MAD
7th January 2011, 07:54 PM
14K for a 2.8 GU

I got that for mine near 4 years ago and only had 200K on it
2.8 issues other than lack of power heads cracking head gaskets goin
There well alrite for a soccer mums car
IF in doubt get it independantly inspected
14K is over priced

wildgu6
8th January 2011, 11:24 AM
Hi all,

Whaddaya's reckon ?

Cheers
Simon

Simon the grenade thing was all about the 3.0lt not the 2.8.
Have a 98 GU myself RD28T motor (around 240k on it) and its F****** great.
As long as its in good nik, Paid 14k for mine 2 years ago.
Worth considering buddy. Like I said I love it and had no trouble with it that wasnt my fault.......lol

Cheers Pete

wildgu6
8th January 2011, 12:35 PM
P.S They are a bit sluggish down low and on hills, but a chip can fix that, and it loves the bush.
There is a few other threads around on the 2.8 if your up to searching through,
Timbos members ride thread worth a read.
Good luck

Cheers Pete

Lambroast
8th January 2011, 03:28 PM
Cheers guys,

Big thanks to you all for the feedback. Should make the decision easier for him.
I think he's pretty set on it. Just gotta make sure it's mechanically sound and at the
Right $$$.

Cheers
Simon

Lambroast
8th January 2011, 07:40 PM
Decision made. Someone else beat him to it !

You snooze you lose ...

Thanks again for assistance everyone.
Simon