PDA

View Full Version : General consensus on models?

RedDragon
7th January 2011, 02:08 PM
With the complete range of Patrols, is there a general consensus on which one is better? 98, 01, 03, 05 etc

Ones that have the least amount of problems?
Ones that generally out perform others?
Bang for buck, performance, etc?

Models to stay away from?

Obviously people have different personal tastes and some people put large amounts of time and effort, reducing their problems, but just curious to hear if there is a clear outstanding winner where someone will say .. Definately the XX and not the YY.

Factory default stuff too, nothing done up.

My 01 has had its bit and pieces, trim and the turbo packed up once, which I instantly noticed, but apart from that, I cant fault it.

Just curious, not so interested in the my XX is the best in the world .. but curious on what most people say are the better models over others .. or are they all much of muchness .. depending on how they are looked after etc ..

the evil twin
7th January 2011, 02:49 PM
Wow... that will get a LOT of different opinions, indeed as many as there are models :hpfredgeorge1:

IMHO "in there year of release" the best models in chrono order more than anything...

MQ Deisel Turbo

GQ Series 1 TD42 (TB42 carby I don't rate)

GQ Series 2 TB42 EFI (go forever and nicer drive than the N/A TD42)

GU TD42 Turbo

GU 4.8 Petty

GU ZD30 CRD

I don't rate 2.8's, RB30's, 4.5's and the later series TD42 in the GQ wasn't quite as strong as the early ones but there are people who love each of those to death and good on them. The Pootrols is used for sooo many different things that I don't think any 1 model is a definite standout overall.

RedDragon
7th January 2011, 02:53 PM
Yea, I thought I would stimulate a bit of discussion, will be interesting after a few replies to see which model starts to come out...

DX grunt
7th January 2011, 03:21 PM
Yea, I thought I would stimulate a bit of discussion, will be interesting after a few replies to see which model starts to come out...

U trying to start a fight. lol

Bob
7th January 2011, 03:37 PM
see my signature

RedDragon
7th January 2011, 04:27 PM
U trying to start a fight. lol

hahaha hope not .. but upon reflection, i can see how this would end up here ..

RedDragon
7th January 2011, 04:28 PM
see my signature

Lets say your caught fire tomorrow and melted into a puddle .. what would you be going for next?

the evil twin
7th January 2011, 05:01 PM
Lets say your caught fire tomorrow and melted into a puddle ..

A distinct possibility for a 4.5 on Gas... but he doesn't have to rely on dry firewood to cook the Trout

Bob
7th January 2011, 05:33 PM
Lets say your caught fire tomorrow and melted into a puddle .. what would you be going for next?

gu td42 turbo

RedDragon
7th January 2011, 05:52 PM
Actually thats a interesting point .. when looking on redbook .. they list the 3.0 and the 4.2 as the almost the same power and torque .. is that rubbish? It must be surely ...

4.2 GUIII
Power 114kW @ 3600rpm
Torque 360Nm @ 2000rpm

3.0GUIII
Power 116kW @ 3600rpm
Torque 354Nm @ 2000-2000rpm

Bob
7th January 2011, 06:05 PM
Actually thats a interesting point .. when looking on redbook .. they list the 3.0 and the 4.2 as the almost the same power and torque .. is that rubbish? It must be surely ...

4.2 GUIII
Power 114kW @ 3600rpm
Torque 360Nm @ 2000rpm

3.0GUIII
Power 116kW @ 3600rpm

I have driven the 3.0 and found it was great after the Turbo kicked in but when driving up the High Country found that at low speed lacked Power.
My mate had a 4.2 Turbo Diesel and whilst I have not driven it Power down low was better than the 3.0L and besides the 3.o L had a bit of a reputation of imploding

I would add that i would value ynot's opinion on these Motors a above mine any day

the evil twin
7th January 2011, 08:28 PM

4.2 GUIII
Power 114kW @ 3600rpm
Torque 360Nm @ 2000rpm

3.0GUIII
Power 116kW @ 3600rpm

Nope that is the correct figures and the 4.2 boys don't like it one bit... hehehehehehe

Without getting to immersed in the subject essentially the TD42 is now over 20 years old while the ZD30 is less than 10 so technology advancements affect the figures... the big thing the figures don't show is the shape of the torque band. Gotta tick the box for a 4.2 there

Finly Owner
7th January 2011, 08:59 PM
Id say between MQ/MK the SD33T with 5spd is best. And if you can get the deluxe model with suspension seats your one happy traveller.
I'd take on a GQ with4.2 turbo deisel and 5spd.

Woof
7th January 2011, 09:01 PM
Id say between MQ/MK the SD33T with 5spd is best. And if you can get the deluxe model with suspension seats your one happy traveller.
I'd take on a GQ with4.2 turbo deisel and 5spd.

Hey Tim, bring on 2012 then matehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

Finly Owner
7th January 2011, 09:16 PM
Hey Tim, bring on 2012 then matehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

Mis communication Doggie, I meant I would on a GQ 4.2 deiesl turbo.

MQ MAD
7th January 2011, 10:23 PM
MQ/MK Range
SD33 Turbo/5 speed is the pic

GQ Range TB42EFI

Of course id say this
Thats whats in the driveway

Any later models dont do it for me

Bigrig
9th January 2011, 04:45 PM
My current Patrol ... doesn't matter what model it is - that's irrelevant ... if I own it, then I make sure it runs well, I make sure it gets taken care of (most importantly), and then I know it will always be there for me when the going gets tough!! lol

I figure Patrol's have heaps of different flavours, and just like beers, we all like different ones - yep, for sure, there are inherent issues with some as per any make/model out there, but at the end of the day, if I know your TD42 is in good nick, and such and such's ZD30 is in good nick, etc, etc, etc, then generally speaking, we are all going to make it through whatever it is we are confronted with because the cars are rock solid and we are like minded people who would see each other through!!

Did I just hear everyone go "aawwwwww" ... hey? not bad? BigRig is showing the love!!!! *LMFAO*

Bigrig
9th January 2011, 05:15 PM
Can the TD4.2 be sarsaparilla flavour? Excellent!

Was thinking Hahn, Tooheys, VB, XXXX, Carlton, etc, etc ... not Schweppes, Peters, Kirks, etc, etc ... LOL ... but whatever takes your fancy!!!

TheFlyingBadger
9th January 2011, 05:15 PM
i though this was going to be a megan gale vs jen hawkins thread when i clicked on it :(

Bigrig
9th January 2011, 05:28 PM
i though this was going to be a megan gale vs jen hawkins thread when i clicked on it :(

Damn it ... why didn't I think of that!! Classic mate - well done ... probably would get more conjecture on that topic ... hmmm ... maybe not come to think of it!!! LOL

RedDragon
10th January 2011, 11:40 PM
Nope that is the correct figures and the 4.2 boys don't like it one bit... hehehehehehe

So is it all in their heads? I mean 6nm more powah doesnt seem a lot .. it cant be correct? .. ive got the 3.0 and its fine for everything I do, but then again .. I dont go wild either (yet).. (pulling kids and a ton of crap. but not over difficult terrain...)

To base a descision on that .. 6mn technically .. id go the 3.0 just due to the fuel .. but then again .. i got a big family and cost is a big deal for me ..

I havent driven a 4.2 at all .. the only patrol is the one ive driven is mine.. the 3.0

Just curious .. the difference seems tiny .. but it seems the 4.2 has a large following? .. is it a case of mine is bigger? .. or just there is a real difference? Is there anyone out there with a 3.0 and a 4.2 that can objectively state?

To me .. i noticed a massive difference with tyres not engine size .. i has some shit HT's on there when i bought the car .. replaced them the minute they wore down .. and whammo .. i was travelling over the beach with no issues at all .. whereas the HT's were absoulte shit ..

the evil twin
11th January 2011, 12:30 AM
It's only a figure, Cobber... The 4.2 Torque is roughly the same but it comes in earlier and longer... Whats the old saying "Horsepower is how fast you hit the Tree, Torque is how far you push it afterwards"

If you want a post MY06 Diesel then its a ZD30 or nothing.

'00 to '03 its a caveat emptor for anyone buying a ZD30 so I reckon the TD42 is the go...

'04 to '06 is where it's toss a coin on whether you want value for money or must have that low down torque...

fat paddy
24th January 2011, 02:37 PM
Excuse my ignorence but can to tell me what "caveat emptor" means.
FP

AB
24th January 2011, 02:49 PM
Excuse my ignorence but can to tell me what "caveat emptor" means.
FP

It means buyer beware.

Rick
21st February 2011, 07:17 PM
What a topic I have owned a GQ RB30 and then replaced it with a GU 4500 ST auto tried to reduce running costs by fitting gas to it..... that lasted less than 6 months and the 6.5 brunswick chev was fitted to the GU and the auto was replaced with a GQ 5 speed manual gear box .... Im lead to belive there stronger than the GU version loved this car before but now I cant get out enough....

in my work I have driven the ZD30 patrol cut down into a extra cab ute this vehicle was an 02 manual and the low down torque was never there unless you where stand on the go pedal and riding the clutch this vehicle went thru alot of them and turbos...

as for TD42 and ZD30 putting the same hp and torque out they do but which one is working hard to achive it