PDA

View Full Version : Rock sliders WELD or Bolt on ?

makeitfit
16th August 2013, 08:35 AM
He there learned ones ;)
I'm soon to be making some rock sliders for my offroading shortie. I also plan to make an exo cage for the old girl and work up from the rock sliders.
My first thoughts were to weld the sliders onto the chassis . Then I've read here that's a no no ?
Can anyone explain why?

mudnut
16th August 2013, 08:51 AM
G,day, makefit. As far as I know, It is illegal to weld to a chassis here in Vic, because it is deemed to reduce the strength and may cause cracking. It may not be the same in every country, or state.

makeitfit
16th August 2013, 09:00 AM
Ah, a nanny state reason lol. Cool in that case I'm welding :)
There's plenty of other stuff welded to the chassis. I think I can get a stronger job by welding it on and then welding the exo cage to the slider. Makes sense in my little mind.

threedogs
16th August 2013, 09:01 AM
I had plates 12mm plate laser cut say 150 x 150 with a hole in each corner that I tapped to 1/2 in UNC,
These I welded to the chassis [3] each side and then bolted my steps/slider to them using matching plates
with 1/2 in clearance holes, you may only need 2 being a shorty

makeitfit
16th August 2013, 09:04 AM
Good thinking , cheers I like that idea ;)

MudRunnerTD
16th August 2013, 09:38 AM
I had plates 12mm plate laser cut say 150 x 150 with a hole in each corner that I tapped to 1/2 in UNC,
These I welded to the chassis [3] each side and then bolted my steps/slider to them using matching plates
with 1/2 in clearance holes, you may only need 2 being a shorty

I have cheesy sliders and they are exactly the same as this. Weld on plates tapped and so the sliders can be removed without cutting.

Also weld flat 2mm or 3mm plate to the underside for the length to stop random branches from being snagged and doing more damage to your sills than you would have without them!!!

makeitfit
16th August 2013, 09:53 AM
Yep I'd read that , cheers will do ;)

First cheese
18th October 2013, 01:34 AM
I would bolt them, you could weld them but doing so can create a stress point. Also as has been mentioned much easier removing them

BillsGU
20th October 2013, 11:49 AM
Mine are bolted on. Much easier to remove them to repair them - if needed.

GQ TANK
27th October 2013, 11:36 PM
Also If you bolt them, its easy to remove if they need a bit of touching up with paint (like mine do)

GRY60
23rd July 2014, 06:37 AM
can please someone post a blueprint or something so i can redesign it for my long wagon y60