PDA

View Full Version : Your Vote... Buying tomorrow - 3.0L Di or 3.0L CRD ??

MozzieWA
7th January 2011, 03:05 AM
Hi

About to buy my first Patrol.... (hopefully tomorrow - Fri).

Your vote (and reason), will really help as I'm stuck between a choice of 2 vehicles!... and I think it's down to the two engines!?!?! What would you choose??

2006 DX - 141k with the 3.0L Di

2007 DX - 115k with the 3.0L Common Rail

The sweetener.... the 2006 is $5,000 cheaper - so more $$ to spend on new tyres, roobar, snorkel etc :)

Both ex-Avis rentals, regular service, usual checks - no smoke, clean chassis blah, blah....

Is the common rail & less kms worth the $5k extra???? :confused: What would you choose? & Why?

Vote Now :)
Thanks
Mark

my third 256
7th January 2011, 06:27 AM
new tecnoligy in the 2007 a lot of the so called problems have been ironed out in the crds plus run alot quieter (jmho)

Maxhead
7th January 2011, 07:23 AM
Agree with above, go the CRD. A lot better turbo/boost control then previous models. a bit getting used to but better IMO

the evil twin
7th January 2011, 01:16 PM
No brainer... get the CRD for sure

The $5,000 difference would almost be depreciation over the extra year and you get a later model with a few annoying things like cracking Intercoolers etc sorted out in the '07 CRD over the earlier Di

Woof
7th January 2011, 02:49 PM
Yep CRD for sure.

MudRunnerTD
7th January 2011, 07:18 PM
The CDR here too. No Question. YOu will still have some New Car warranty left on that too and the opportunity to extend that warranty at the point of sale too.

It's a No Brainer mate.

Woof
7th January 2011, 07:25 PM
Negotiate, negotiate, if they won't drop the price then ask for some free stuff to sweeten the deal, there's no harm in asking.

the evil twin
7th January 2011, 08:22 PM
...YOu will still have some New Car warranty left on that too and the opportunity to extend that warranty at the point of sale too...

How do you figure that ? It has over 100,000 K's on the clock.

I'd almost bet it is past 3 years old as well but doesn't matter the new car warranty will be expired because of the K's

MozzieWA
8th January 2011, 04:10 AM
Hi All
Thanks for the overwhelming vote for the CRD.

I gave it a full check-up today. No big concerns... except, wheel alignment (tracking to the left) and a slight juddering of the steering wheel at 90-110kph. (I'm putting that down to wheel balance... tell me if you think I'm wrong).

There was a small puff of greyish/white smoke (not black) just at start-up (like 3 secs). Then nothing at revs. Not thinking head gasket, as oil looks fine on stick & nothing showing in filler cap. :confused:

Once they sort the wheels....(& I get a smooth ride), I plan to part with some cash $$... & join the Trol Club!

Thanks again 4 your help.

GUte
8th January 2011, 12:27 PM
Nice choice mozzie, I would of said the crd also.
Patrols are very well known for having the death wobbles, mine has them around 95kmh but they're not too bad. I will wait till I get new tyres and rims on before I look deeper, it could be any number of bushes, king pin spacers/bearings, wheel bearings etc

the evil twin
8th January 2011, 02:14 PM
Hi All
I gave it a full check-up today. No big concerns... except, wheel alignment (tracking to the left) and a slight juddering of the steering wheel at 90-110kph. (I'm putting that down to wheel balance... tell me if you think I'm wrong).

There was a small puff of greyish/white smoke (not black) just at start-up (like 3 secs). Then nothing at revs. Not thinking head gasket, as oil looks fine on stick & nothing showing in filler cap. :confused:

Wheel wobble and pulling left is a Patrol trait... sometimes just a tyre rotation will fix the wobble it but can be many things. Pulling left either get used to it or spend bigger dollars on offset swivel hub bearings

Get an 'inspection opinion' on that smoke tho, cobber...
puff of black on start up = no problems just a bit of extra diesel
puff of white is not so good... thats oil getting into there somehow

MudRunnerTD
8th January 2011, 06:10 PM
How do you figure that ? It has over 100,000 K's on the clock.

I'd almost bet it is past 3 years old as well but doesn't matter the new car warranty will be expired because of the K's

Yep....Must have Figured that wrong :1087: should have written "You MIGHT STILL have some new car warranty" would have been better advice but your right mate, 100,000ks would have been the warranty i would have thought. :1062:

MudRunnerTD
8th January 2011, 06:21 PM
No big concerns... except, wheel alignment (tracking to the left) and a slight juddering of the steering wheel at 90-110kph. (I'm putting that down to wheel balance... tell me if you think I'm wrong).

This is a really common fault on the GUs mate, I would be really pushing the point with the dealer though (play dumb a little though until it is yours) and get them to sort it out while you still have statutory Warranty. Get them to acknowledge the problem and then push them hard for a fix.

A re balance is unlikely to fix it, a rotation might alter it. I had my swivel hubs rebuilt chasing this under statutory warranty with no joy, I got new tyres fitted at their expense too and it kind of went away ( i could just feel it but nothing like it had been) This lasted just long enough to exit the warranty then the front left tyre scrubbed out and it all went to crap. Don't give up on the chase unless it is perfect mate cause once you do the problem becomes yours.

I ended up fitting an offset king pin bearing race to the left side with a perfect result. There are a couple of threads around on this fix but here is a link to what i used.

http://safetsteer.com.au/portal/content/view/192/338/

It cost me less than $400 fitted and changed the Patrol forever. Highly recommend.

As Evil Twin said, get you smoke evaluated before any decisions are made though and good luck.

Cheers MR

the evil twin
8th January 2011, 08:47 PM
Yep....Must have Figured that wrong :1087: should have written "You MIGHT STILL have some new car warranty" would have been better advice but your right mate, 100,000ks would have been the warranty i would have thought. :1062:

No wuckers... Hey, i see by your next post that you are someone who put in offset swivel hub bearings.

Did you do it yourself ? ...and... How noticeable is it (if at all) on the traks etc where there is no camber? :clapping:

PS sorry for the 'jack but it is sorta still on subject :hijacked:

Skegbudley
9th January 2011, 01:55 PM
Hi All

Once they sort the wheels....(& I get a smooth ride), I plan to part with some cash $$... & join the Trol Club!

If it blows any smoke at all then do not buy it.
The Di & the CRD should never blow any smoke at all.

Bigrig
9th January 2011, 02:52 PM
Hi All

Top stuff mate!!! You'll never look back ..

raneydelrey
18th January 2011, 09:56 PM
HI whats the difference between the zd30 crdi and the zd30 mecha type?

Maxhead
19th January 2011, 06:55 AM
HI whats the difference between the zd30 crdi and the zd30 mecha type?

from another thread...thanks to ET

CRD is "common rail" IE the fuel is delivered in a common rail connecting all 4 injectors and teh injectors are fully electronically controlled. It is still a direct injection tho IE fuel mist directly into the chamber. The posts in question are referring to the MY07 and later ZD30 CRD engines

Non CRD has a seperate fuel feed to each injector and the pump pressure controls the injection

Typically CRD's operate at significantly higher fuel pressures giving better atomisation and burn patterns etc etc. Their injectors also cost a small fortune or your first born

As a point of interest most of the "cheap chips" and some of the expensive ones (rip offs) are simply variable resistors that up the fuel pressures so you get more bang. The expensive legitimate chips will use multiple inputs to remap the injection signals from the ECU

wogboy
30th January 2011, 12:52 AM
HI Mozzie
How much are your paying for yours as I paid 28K for 2008 dx with 70 000 kms

Sir Roofy
30th January 2011, 12:56 AM
hi mozzie
how much are your paying for yours as i paid 28k for 2008 dx with 70 000 kms
ouch bet that hurt the account a bit

wogboy
13th February 2011, 01:57 PM
ouch bet that hurt the account a bit
It hurts but not that much as I am happy now.

my third 256
14th February 2011, 03:44 AM
hey mozziewa have you made the purchace yet we would all like to know
stephen

wogboy
14th February 2011, 06:45 PM
After all those "expert" advices, he is probably looking for yota now.

patch697
14th February 2011, 07:25 PM

What "expert" advisers where you referring to?

the evil twin
14th February 2011, 09:13 PM

??? (in the style of Pauline Hanson) Please Explain?

Woof
14th February 2011, 10:08 PM
I think that he may have been jesting...............I know that does not happen very often herehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

the evil twin
15th February 2011, 12:30 AM
I think that he may have been jesting...............I know that does not happen very often herehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

Hiya Doggydude soon to be Mr Wooley,

Jesting... thats when two blokes get a 1/2 a tree trunk each, wrap 'emselves in empty beer cans, put a mop bucket on their head and climb on a horse isn't it ?

patch697
15th February 2011, 12:33 AM
Hiya Doggydude soon to be Mr Wooley,

Jesting... thats when two blokes get a 1/2 a tree trunk each, wrap 'emselves in empty beer cans, put a mop bucket on their head and climb on a horse isn't it ?

ROFLMAO............. Post of the day right there ppl...lolol