PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 turbo diesel change to Auto

mychev
13th August 2013, 08:28 PM
Got a chev 6.5 turbo in my GU love it I have the problem of the manual box is on the way out now going the Auto that is behind these motors from new the 4L80E just wondering if anyone has this conversion and what rpm I could expect I have 3.9 diffs so I am getting pretty good fuel results for the size of the motor well I think so.If you can help out would be good and who done your conversion would also be an advantage.

Clunk
13th August 2013, 08:34 PM
Not sure who's done this but I know Highlander is looking at getting it done too so might me worth sending him a pm

Don't slap it, tap it!!!!

Gecko17
14th August 2013, 06:17 PM
Not sure who's done this but I know Highlander is looking at getting it done too so might me worth sending him a pm

Don't slap it, tap it!!!!

G'day mychev,

As Clunk said, I have booked my truck in to brunswick to have a brand new auto put in as a, I hate the manual gearbox performance with the chev and b, I am old and lazy and love the autos :D.

As for revs, I have been told to expect approx 15% improvement in fuel economy and a 15% decrease in revs...

I suggest that you phone Greg, from brunswick Diesel conversions and speak with him for the correct figures/costs etc. PM me if you have any trouble and I will see if I can help. I also contacted the transmission mob in Action 4x4 and spoke to the bloke there. Sounded like a really nice guy too. Based in Melbourne. I think Bullet cars also do the conversions and they're based both over east and in WA.

My truck is booked in for five weeks time so once I have it and can take it off road, will let you know what I think of it.

Tim.

mychev
14th August 2013, 07:59 PM
Yeah thanks highlander
I am dealing with wholesale autos in melbounre they do brunswicks autos so I am told they are very good with they 4L80 transmission mine is a turbo diesel so it will be good I think with keeping it on song after changing gears you lose that power unless high in the rev range.Don,t get me wrong the 5 speed has done well they are a tough box but like all 5 gears its an add on.

FNQGU
17th August 2013, 07:14 PM
Highlander - definitely interested in how you go with this change. Like you, I think the manual is a bit slow sometimes with this engine. I changed out the 5th gear ratio on mine for one of the GearMaster 10% less revs units and that worked a treat for long runs on the highway. Still interested in the Auto option and what you think about it once you've had a chance to test it out properly.

nissannewby
17th August 2013, 07:27 PM
I would go the Allison unit. It's a much sturdier unit designed for high torque applications and will be a pleasure to drive.

FNQGU
17th August 2013, 07:46 PM
I would go the Allison unit. It's a much sturdier unit designed for high torque applications and will be a pleasure to drive.

Yep, have heard the same thing. Would be interested in the overall cost of the job though. If there was nothing wrong with the current manual, it might be a bit hard to justify to the Finance Minister.

mychev
18th August 2013, 11:56 AM
Yes we all got to answer to someone,in my little hamlet it,s the Govenor .But apart from that the Allison are a very good box a lot of mods to fit this upto the transfer also the same with the 4L80 been talking to wholesale autos and they are saying go the Nissan auto it all bolts straight up to the adapter plate and transfer case with there valve body kits they can make these autos handle plenty of power I think the cost will not be cheap , but in the long run I think it will be a benefit as a new manual box plus big clutch and will have the same problem again next time it could happen out the back of you know where not heading into the local for a coupla loudies as that's where I was heading conversions like this I think you need to keep the car for a long time to get the benefit out of it which is what I intend to do so I,m takin it down to these guys this week Iwill keep you posted.

Gecko17
20th August 2013, 06:21 PM

The auto I'm getting is the 4L80E, which I've been told is the GM auto from the Chevy Suburban? so should be more than able to handle the torque as that's the normal trans on the 6.5l anyway. It is going in in about 4 weeks, when I get back home then another 2 weeks before I can put it through its paces.... may have to set up a WA funrun... will let you know how it goes.

As for the Allison's, I was warned off the new 6 speed as it has (not confirmed!) some design fault but the earlier models are brilliant. To be honest though, I don't know too much about them.

FNQGU
20th August 2013, 06:46 PM
Either way, I am keen to hear how it all goes and what you think of it.

I have not had experience with either of them, but once drove a big old F250 in Auto if that counts. Pretty smooth power but they are a bloody big truck and really heavy on the juice.

mychev
20th August 2013, 09:10 PM
If you go on the wholesale automatic site you will see all of what they have I like you blokes already have a adapter plate that fits from chev motor to nissan gearbox(manual) why would you waste that adapter plate by putting in another transmission when you can just bolt a nissan auto straight up to it no mods no shortening of tailshafts or mods to cross members it all fits back in they are doing the same with the new toyota utes putting a 5 speed auto(Toyo) behind them I went for a ride in one what a gem less rpm than with the manual which you cant get from factory.Eveyone raves about autos in the bush these days I hope I will be doing the same I got one of them 4L80Es I brought what I think now is I wasted my money.Rod from wholesale Autos showed me right the workshop process and I was impressed with what I seen so in a few weeks time I will be able to tell the story as I will be AUTOMATED.Ha sounds like the way my work wants to go but our gear is bedrock era lol

Gecko17
20th August 2013, 09:57 PM
If you go on the wholesale automatic site you will see all of what they have I like you blokes already have a adapter plate that fits from chev motor to nissan gearbox(manual) why would you waste that adapter plate by putting in another transmission when you can just bolt a nissan auto straight up to it no mods no shortening of tailshafts or mods to cross members it all fits back in they are doing the same with the new toyota utes putting a 5 speed auto(Toyo) behind them I went for a ride in one what a gem less rpm than with the manual which you cant get from factory.Eveyone raves about autos in the bush these days I hope I will be doing the same I got one of them 4L80Es I brought what I think now is I wasted my money.Rod from wholesale Autos showed me right the workshop process and I was impressed with what I seen so in a few weeks time I will be able to tell the story as I will be AUTOMATED.Ha sounds like the way my work wants to go but our gear is bedrock era lol

I spoke to Rodney from wholesale transmissions and found him excellent to deal with. The main reason I'm getting the GM auto is simply because of ease of fitment (in WA, so I don't have to fly to and from Melbourne) and cost... $3500 less than Rodney plus brand new not reco'd.

Will have to see re performance....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mychev
21st August 2013, 10:39 PM
Yeah your right highlander if your close to where you can get a good product go for it I think the same, time will tell for me as I have done everything myself upto now.Like any mod you learn more as more gets done and you pass it on you hope.

Gecko17
12th November 2013, 07:36 PM
Well, after what seems like and interminally long wait, the new auto is in. It is an electronic transmission and fully programmable too. Very smooth and am very impressed with it so far but as yet, have had no time to take it off road for a test.

As part of the change, brunswick also had to replace my diff ratios back to 4.11:1 so had to buy a new set. (not sure why as they replace these from the Nissans that have the conversions). I also had to change to the bigger Kenworth transmission oil cooler.

I have also gone up to 35's but only for the interim as I plan to change over to a 16in rim and 285's for touring, keeping the 35's for play. I can programme the transmission to read out the correct speed when on 35's or on 285's so still know what speed I'm doing....

I had to change a few other things as well but that was only because I drowned it playing silly buggers at Mundaring.... (expensive yes but had to be done.)

Clunk
12th November 2013, 10:31 PM
Nice one mate, looking forward to seeing it in action now. Powerlines isn't so wet now so you be safe ;):D

Gecko17
13th November 2013, 08:59 PM
Nice one mate, looking forward to seeing it in action now. Powerlines isn't so wet now so you be safe ;):D

I know! You can tell Mick that I did do a bit more damage because of the water.... When they took the trans out, it was full of water, as was the transfer case. (There was a worn rubber boot at the top of the case that I didn't know about and water pissed in there... Also had to replace an electric fuel pump I didn't know about either but she's a weapon now though.

The War Office has decreed from on high, under pain of... Well, a lot more pain, that I am not allowed to cross any body of water larger than the bottom of the wheel!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD