PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Chev Diesel owners.

yeah_m8
12th August 2013, 07:45 PM
Hey how's it going,

I'm after some feedback on your 6.5 Chev diesel, I've not long run in my reco'd 6.5 Brunswick and now contemplating heading down the road of installing either a Turbo or Supercharger.
Has anyone got any feedback on the benefits of having either option, are there any issues associated with these installs??

Cheers.

NissanGQ4.2
12th August 2013, 07:50 PM
Hi mate, I have moved your thread out og the general chat section and put it under engine conversions which can be found here

Under Mechanical, Engine and Drivetrain, Engine Conversions (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?133-Engine-Conversions)

Cheers

Toddie

macca86
12th August 2013, 07:52 PM
Don't have one myself but from what I understand the turbo gives you more power but generates more heat and the 6.5 is prone to over heating. I would be going supercharged with this motor Bullit diesels do a comparison I think. With a charger you get power and torque instantly which is better to tow with and crawl those tough tracks just my 2 cents worth anyway
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-hoZZpxYfXE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-hoZZpxYfXE
The white one is supercharged

yeah_m8
12th August 2013, 08:00 PM
Hey cheers for that, didn't realise that section was there, got a few more questions to ask too:)>

yeah_m8
12th August 2013, 08:07 PM
Cheers for the link, I saw that link after browsing through Youtube and the net on who else do installs of the 6.5's, and found Bullit Diesels, I spoke to some dude that will put me onto these guys tomorrow.
As you have mentioned about the heat issues with Turbo's, SC may be the option, all I want is hassle free motoring when I start my journey coastal all the way round Oz, thanks for your 2cents mate:)

FNQGU
17th August 2013, 07:36 PM
Mine is the intercooled turbo version and although it is still fairly new, I have done a few trips on both highway and long periods in low range and have not experienced any overheating of any sort. Not sure about others experience with that. I tow a largish boat with mine and it was built for this sort of work.

Haven't had a chance to try the Supercharged version but would love to have a go of one.

One comment, you have to be careful sometimes when in the rough if you down change gears from 2nd to 1st quickly and give it a boot-full as you will either spin your wheels and loose control of your traction, or if you haven't fully let out your clutch you will smell what you have just done to it. I'd like to try an Auto with this engine and am waiting for Highlander to get his done for some feedback.

Either option is going to give you a big smile compared to a non-turbo'd version...the Supercharger might be a bigger smile if you can afford it though.

Ian2011
18th August 2013, 04:20 PM
Like Ben, I too tow a boat and camper trailer and have an engine watchdog fitted, although the temp shown may not be truly accurate, it remains between 55 and 61 degrees no matter what driving I am doing. My pyro has only been up to about 280 and that includes going up hills (in 5th gear I might add). From my research the overheating problem was on older engines and I am preety sure this has all been sorted.

Gecko17
20th August 2013, 10:27 PM
Like Ben, I too tow a boat and camper trailer and have an engine watchdog fitted, although the temp shown may not be truly accurate, it remains between 55 and 61 degrees no matter what driving I am doing. My pyro has only been up to about 280 and that includes going up hills (in 5th gear I might add). From my research the overheating problem was on older engines and I am preety sure this has all been sorted.

G'day M8,

I too have the inter cooled turbo. I looked at the supercharger thru bullit diesel who quoted me $12k as the heads need to be changed to high compression heads to handle the obvious.

I asked my mate ( who's a heavy diesel fitter) about the differences between the turbo and SC and his explanation thus:

Turbo- good power increase as the revs increase, better fuel economy than SC.
SC- instant power from hitting the go pedal, decreased economy.

I am a fan of the SC but for the price, am getting an auto gearbox.

I haven't had any overheating problems either and have towed a camper trailer plus played in the sand dunes and beach that are near me. Never missed a beat and never showed any hint of going up near a worrying temp.

Regards, Tim

Truckus
11th February 2021, 02:24 PM
Yep, pretty much what FNQGU and Ben have stated as well regarding the newer engines.

Mine does have a slight quirk I have noticed, and I only have 23000 on this engine.

I use the glows to pre warm for start , start up when plugs go out, allow to self warm up until the gauge starts deflecting and then away we we go. I use gear upshifts at 1500 until temp reaches the half way indicator, and that takes about 5 mins driving, and by then I am cruising along at 60 Kms in 5th sitting on about 900 rpm. Now Almost every time at the ten minutes of driving mark, I see the needle go the 2/3 to 3/4 full scale hot temp position and then it suddenly drops back to half way again and will remain there all day from then in.

I am thinking this may be a sticky thermostat...but anyone else experienced this with the 6.5 inter-cooled turbo?

Thanks

MB
12th February 2021, 04:03 AM
G’day Truckus Mate!
Sounds very much like whatever thermostats you have in there are just simply opening to full flow and dropping your needle on first run then stabilising after that.
If you check in the military manual you’ve just downloaded their operating temperature is 88C so once I read this a few years back personally installed a set of 88C AcDelco TS’s which are the yanky GM company standard.
Definitely worth fitting an extra aftermarket water temp gauge mate as our GU dash gauges have a deliberate dead spot from approximately 70C < > 105C as I’ve found on quite a few owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truckus
12th February 2021, 09:18 PM
Cheers for getting back to me so quick MB.

What you have recommended sounds very similar to what I have been viewing when looking at them tube vids about the 6.5 how to manage heat issues.

Yes, we already running the upgraded 130 GPM pump and fan assembly that comes with the donk set up from Brunswick .

but this looks the goods when that one wears out.... new super bling pump just out this month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lap36DcNhC4

also found this interesting as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuNnDXY62vc

Using a restriction to divert more coolant to the radiator ...but not near that point yet, as this is just a temperamental type glitch.

So I will look at the 88C AcDelco TS’s (but need to chat with Brunswick to see what they fitted) and yes, A/M temp gauge is on the list (so thanks for validating that)

Cheers

MB
12th February 2021, 09:36 PM
Almost guaranteed Brunswick has fitted you out with 76C Tridon’s Brother!
Good old dinosaur diesels must in my opinion now run to their specs, otherwise they waste, damage & stink [emoji51]
Have never known a big diesel to appreciate running at 50-60C ish mentioned above in the old threadies [emoji848]

PeeBee
13th February 2021, 12:59 PM
Almost guaranteed Brunswick has fitted you out with 76C Tridon’s Brother!
Good old dinosaur diesels must in my opinion now run to their specs, otherwise they waste, damage & stink [emoji51]
Have never known a big diesel to appreciate running at 50-60C ish mentioned above in the old threadies [emoji848]

@MB, I can't see these engines running at 55DegC full stop even without a T/S. There still remains the same heat load to process thru the radiator and that's what ultimately determines where the rad temp is going to sit. I have tried without great luck to get the flowrates V the throat opening specs of the tridon hiflow T/S. I have the flowrate graph against the opening size, but have not had time to conduct the trials on the lift dimension of the T/S when it has reached temp. I agree we need to be sitting at that 88degC mark for sure, only hassle being the small differential between that and say 100degC which is about the point mine used to start its temp runaway routine, ending as high as 125DegC on one occasion. I did secure some 66Deg C T/S - tridon high Flow units from BD but have not fitted them as yet, probably won't don't need them now with the ally radiator, high flow pump and elec booster fan

MB
14th February 2021, 06:58 PM
FWIW: My nuffy findings from somewhat rigorously testing OEM thermostats across 6.5 diesel Chev’s & 4.2 diesel Nissan’s has been this:
The higher the rated OEM thermostats did not appear to make any difference to the ‘MAX’ running engine temperatures throughout a 3 season ambient temperature change test with varying speeds/loads/inclines.
What I did personally find was the higher the rated thermostat simply brought the fluctuations down by at least half and hovering/stabilising closer to their recommendationed operating temperatures.
Very similar characteristics between the diesel Chev’s and Nissan’s I now believe but will fully agree that the Chev’s have a greater chance of heat runaway if the complete system isn’t up to its modified into our trucks worthiness.