PDA

View Full Version : Rod Holders

mopper
12th August 2013, 07:18 PM
Gonna purchase a set of 4 aluminium rod holders from BCF. What is the regs in QLD about having these attached to your bull bar ?
I could do without a petty fine !!:trink13:

Winnie
12th August 2013, 07:20 PM
Unless you have rods in them they are illegal. You can turn them around and they are okay, but you might as well take it off in that case.

gaddy
12th August 2013, 08:55 PM
Yep what winnie said easier to remove them when not in use

MudRunnerTD
12th August 2013, 10:03 PM
Is actually one of my pet hates and I don't have many!

Drives me nuts to be honest! I think I have seen a 4wd with actual Rods in the Rod holder maybe 3 times in my life!! Why???

They look like crap! If you are going fishing then attach it and go fishing. A total of 4 nuts need to be undone to completely remove the rod holder? Why would you want to drive around with it on??

I know that a bulbar will do a fair bit of damage to a pedestrian if you unfortunately hit someone (we nearly lot the right to fit a bulbar to the 4wd less than 12 months ago for that reason) now add this big hunk of metal hanging off the front to fully tear that poor pedestrian in half should the worst happen and the argument to ban the whole bulbar gets even more strength.

It's ok though Your Honour I went fishing a month ago and was planning another fishing trip in about 4 weeks and I thought it looked good in between times?? Hell I bet there are plenty of people that have one bolted up that have Never used it!!! WTF??

Sorry Mopper, not having a go at you at all, if you fish and have a constant need then you don't have a problem anyway, if you go fishing once a month then just unbolt it when not in use then you won't get that petty fine mate ;)

Sorry guys, Rant over. it drives me Bonkers!!!:icon_bonk:

gaddy
12th August 2013, 10:22 PM
Well said MR I have wing nuts on mine takes all of 30 seconds to remove

BigRAWesty
12th August 2013, 11:17 PM
Most now bolt threw the bull bar. So it makes 2 nuts to undo, but once off your left with 2 holes..

threedogs
14th August 2013, 11:02 AM
What MR has said I think they have a Wack factor of 10.
Go buy 2 roof racks and ocky strap them to the roof
Not an ideal accessory either on and used or off, I prefer off.
Would never buy one

Bluecrab
20th August 2013, 11:46 PM
Gonna purchase a set of 4 aluminium rod holders from BCF. What is the regs in QLD about having these attached to your bull bar ?
I could do without a petty fine !!:trink13:

Hi mate, I checked the regs here in SA b4 purchase. Says nothing is to protrude further forward than the leading edge of vehicle! So a rod holder fitted is not illegal, But carrying rods protruding past that point is. Im keen fisho and like having it setup as a fishing platform, my roof rack I made up to hold my cray pots. I only use rod holder on highway,country roads between spots, rods travel there in camper trailer,risky laying in back. Drove past plenty coppers, never had a problem. Cheers Dazza.

Bluecrab
20th August 2013, 11:55 PM
Also put one of those elasticated flags on top of surf rod when dune driving and works as a sand flag easy n cheap.

megatexture
20th August 2013, 11:59 PM
My wife got a $60 fine for having one on I'm going to ditch the one I've got and get one of these verry easy to remove http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BLACK-HAMMERTONE-REMOVABLE-BULL-BAR-FISHING-ROD-HOLDER-POWDER-COATED-ALUMINIUM-/230926970709

MEGOMONSTER
21st August 2013, 04:30 PM
My wife got a $60 fine for having one on

What a f*cked up law.

megatexture
21st August 2013, 05:23 PM
Yep lol rod holders still there 90% of the time,in 9 years ive had 1 fine no points. Not really any incentive to take it off. Who knows might get another 9 yrs till another fine.

Yendor
21st August 2013, 06:47 PM
Yep lol rod holders still there 90% of the time,in 9 years ive had 1 fine no points. Not really any incentive to take it off. Who knows might get another 9 yrs till another fine.

Why don't you just remove them when not in use?

MEGOMONSTER
21st August 2013, 06:50 PM
Why don't you just remove them when not in use?

Cos who could be bothered.
Fishing can be very spur if the moment. And losing time cos you took of the holders just ain't gonna cut it. LOL

taslucas
21st August 2013, 06:54 PM
What a f*cked up law.

Imagine getting your guts ripped out by them though.......

Yes you're going get hurt by the bullbar anyway, but you're going to get ripped open by a rod holder

Clunk
21st August 2013, 06:55 PM
wheres my giant block of cheese?????

MEGOMONSTER
21st August 2013, 06:56 PM
Imagine getting your guts ripped out by them though.......

Yes you're going get hurt by the bullbar anyway, but you're going to get ripped open by a rod holder

Maybe I will but any normal person is going through the radiator on our lifter Patrols.

Yendor
21st August 2013, 07:00 PM
Fishing can be very spur if the moment. And losing time cos you took of the holders just ain't gonna cut it. LOL

Just cable tie the rod to the roof rack. If it's that much of a rush.

taslucas
21st August 2013, 07:02 PM
Maybe I will but any normal person is going through the radiator on our lifter Patrols.

Really?? how friggen high is your patrol!?

Maybe not stomach then, maybe the face.

That is the reason theres a law against it. Because they are a contradiction to the stringent safety requirements of the the front of a vehicle

taslucas
21st August 2013, 07:05 PM

yeah, or that lol. Mego, you must be slow with a spanner lol! throw the rods in the back and drop the clutch!!

Clunk
21st August 2013, 07:06 PM
yeah, or that lol. Mego, you must be slow with a spanner lol! throw the rods in the back and drop the clutch!!

couldnt do that mate, might spoil the pleather!!!!! lol

Yendor
21st August 2013, 07:08 PM

Maybe......maybe not. But why push the issue?.

The last thing I want is for rod holders to be banned on bull bars altogether.

gaddy
21st August 2013, 07:09 PM
Wing nuts takes a minute

Winnie
21st August 2013, 07:11 PM

That's what I do, I don't go fishing very often but find that the easiest way.

Yendor
21st August 2013, 07:11 PM
Really?? how friggen high is your patrol!?

Maybe not stomach then, maybe the face.

That is the reason theres a law against it. Because they are a contradiction to the stringent safety requirements of the the front of a vehicle

lol......Don't tell me, we agree on something!

taslucas
21st August 2013, 07:13 PM
lol......Don't tell me, we agree on something!

Always did mate:)

megatexture
21st August 2013, 07:40 PM
Why don't you just remove them when not in use? I do some times but then I get sick of putting them back then taking them off again.. But that's why I want to get the quick release one I posted earlier it literally takes 2 seconds to put on and remove with no tools.

BigRAWesty
21st August 2013, 07:54 PM
I use occy straps to hold mine to roof rack, or sit them along side passenger seat slid into the rear Jesus handle..

gaddy
21st August 2013, 08:49 PM
another thing I have on mine is heat shrink on the U bolts and some no slip mat glued to the back of the holder , can't be scratching the bar , I must get a photo on the next boys taylor trip , 4 blokes and 8rods all on the bull bar , gotta have spare no time to re rig in a hot session !

Bluecrab
22nd August 2013, 09:28 PM
My wife got a $60 fine for having one on I'm going to ditch the one I've got and get one of these verry easy to remove http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BLACK-HAMMERTONE-REMOVABLE-BULL-BAR-FISHING-ROD-HOLDER-POWDER-COATED-ALUMINIUM-/230926970709

Exactly same as mine mate, yep bloody easy on / off job.

Warwick89
23rd January 2014, 08:34 PM
Hi guys I'm about to start a very big (perth to FNQ) trip across the top and I want a smart way to carry a couple of flick sticks and 1 surf rod with reels ON so I can get to fishing in a hurry. I don't just want a big tube so the rods bounce around and get damaged, I want unusual smart ways that work.
Also I have no room indies car or trailer
Cheers

P.s who has the best method lol

Clunk
24th January 2014, 12:38 AM
Could adapt or mate something like this to attach to your roof rack

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Rod-Storage-Vertical-3-Rod.aspx?pid=115435&menuFrom=571480

MudRunnerTD
24th January 2014, 12:47 AM
Hi guys I'm about to start a very big (perth to FNQ) trip across the top and I want a smart way to carry a couple of flick sticks and 1 surf rod with reels ON so I can get to fishing in a hurry. I don't just want a big tube so the rods bounce around and get damaged, I want unusual smart ways that work.
Also I have no room indies car or trailer
Cheers

P.s who has the best method lol

If you are towing a "camper" trailer with a soft cover I just place mine on top of the camper next to the broom and shovel on top of the floor mats that act as protection for my canvas camper and fit the soft cover. No ropes, no worries. When setting up they go under the camper.

I also place my toilet tent and shower tent there too. Bloody handy spot.

Clunk
24th January 2014, 12:48 AM
Or

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAR-Vehicle-fishing-rod-pole-Rack-rest-roof-Carrier-Organizer-Holder-corefishing-/281141372430

Clunk
24th January 2014, 12:54 AM
Or

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fishing-Rod-Holder-Car-Gutter-Grip-/271367627872?pt=AU_Accessories_Tackle&hash=item3f2ec56460&_uhb=1

Avo
24th January 2014, 12:55 AM
I go up north every year and I only have used 2 methods..rods in a pvc pipe(no good for a reels on)other is just rod holders on roo bar.,mind you I have been told it's not allowed but let off and drove on...only got chatted while being pinged for speeding

MEGOMONSTER
24th January 2014, 01:05 AM
:animierte-smilies-f:animierte-smilies-f:animierte-smilies-f:animierte-smilies-f:animierte-smilies-f
Or

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAR-Vehicle-fishing-rod-pole-Rack-rest-roof-Carrier-Organizer-Holder-corefishing-/281141372430

Or

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fishing-Rod-Holder-Car-Gutter-Grip-/271367627872?pt=AU_Accessories_Tackle&hash=item3f2ec56460&_uhb=1

Both good ideas and I believe would work for him.
Good finds Clunker, I give you a GOLD star.

gaddy
24th January 2014, 01:05 AM
I've hsd this for years , had it built by angler rods 3 piece packs up to about 60cm , there's now some pretty good quality ones off the shelf , 3962839629

Clunk
24th January 2014, 02:37 AM
:animierte-smilies-f:animierte-smilies-f:animierte-smilies-f:animierte-smilies-f:animierte-smilies-f

Both good ideas and I believe would work for him.
Good finds Clunker, I give you a GOLD star.

Liking the idea of the inside car straps myself

Warwick89
24th January 2014, 04:37 PM
Or

Thanks mate but neither will work. Car has cargo barrier and roof basket is gutter clamped with awning one side and jack the other. Thanks though

Warwick89
24th January 2014, 04:40 PM
If you are towing a "camper" trailer with a soft cover I just place mine on top of the camper next to the broom and shovel on top of the floor mats that act as protection for my canvas camper and fit the soft cover. No ropes, no worries. When setting up they go under the camper.

I also place my toilet tent and shower tent there too. Bloody handy spot.

Cheers mate but it's the 2013 CRUSADER FF V3
http://www.marketdirectcampertrailers.com.au/products/camper-trailer-models/expedition-series-crusader-ff

Hard top mate and no storage on inside

threedogs
24th January 2014, 05:43 PM
grab some 4" pvc cap one end and glue a screw cap to the other, voila instant rod holder,
you can even make them lockable. Use long hose clamps or very big cable ties to hold in place.
safe dustproof, can fit heaps of rods

Warwick89
24th January 2014, 05:48 PM
grab some 4" pvc cap one end and glue a screw cap to the other, voila instant rod holder,
you can even make them lockable. Use long hose clamps or very big cable ties to hold in place.
safe dustproof, can fit heaps of rods

Lol no good for leaving the reels on though mate.

Although I did just find
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewthulecastaway.html

Not sure how that would work with a ARB basket though

Warwick

BigRAWesty
24th January 2014, 05:50 PM
Your not keen on bull bar or roof rack mounts??

Warwick89
24th January 2014, 06:07 PM
Not really keen on bullbar mounts for long distances and I don't really want the reels and rod coping that much sand and weather damage on the front of the car 24/7 for over a month.

Roof rack? Arb basket mounted on gutter. As said above jack on one side and awning on the other.

No room inside the car
No room inside the camper because of no storage.
Don't "WANT" the PVC pipe option to be the only one because i want to save time rigging the rods every time it want to use them

BigRAWesty
24th January 2014, 06:12 PM
Not really keen on bullbar mounts for long distances and I don't really want the reels and rod coping that much sand and weather damage on the front of the car 24/7 for over a month.

Roof rack? Arb basket mounted on gutter. As said above jack on one side and awning on the other.

No room inside the car
No room inside the camper because of no storage.
Don't "WANT" the PVC pipe option to be the only one because i want to save time rigging the rods every time it want to use them

Sorry. I just read that exact post previous page. Lol.

What's the longest section of Rod?

Warwick89
24th January 2014, 06:13 PM
6"5 flick rod

I like that Thule castaway box but not sure on the practicality of it with the basket on the roof and taking up precious basket room although I'm sure I'd fit stuff under the rods.

BigRAWesty
24th January 2014, 06:20 PM
6"5 flick rod

Ummm. Bugga. Single piece??

Any option to swap to a 2 piece??

Or can you weld??

Warwick89
24th January 2014, 06:23 PM
Don't have a welder.
Love my rods.
Yes single piece.
And yes bugga lol

firm351
24th January 2014, 06:25 PM
Is it possible to mount anything on top of your camper? then you could just remove them before setting up the camper.

gaddy
24th January 2014, 06:28 PM
Put the butts between the roof and cargo barrier , and make a bracket fit to the cabin light screw holes to support the tips , saw it in a fishing msg once,

BigRAWesty
24th January 2014, 06:32 PM
Don't have a welder.
Love my rods.
Yes single piece.
And yes bugga lol

I was thinking if you could remove a corner of ya barrier, and make 2 slings. Or cradles which hang Off your roof handles. One on the rear handles and one on the middle door handles..

Warwick89
24th January 2014, 06:45 PM
Not at this stage but once I get it back after the warranty claim I'll look at putting a couple of hooks to ratchet some pelican cases on but I don't want to much because at this stage I can pull up and be in bed within 2-3 minutes and don't want to extend that lol

Warwick89
24th January 2014, 06:49 PM
I was thinking if you could remove a corner of ya barrier, and make 2 slings. Or cradles which hang Off your roof handles. One on the rear handles and one on the middle door handles..

West I'm not sure I understand that mate. Would you be able to explain that another way? Thanks for your help guys.
I'm just out of room and every time if think so something I have nowhere to put it :(

Clunk
24th January 2014, 08:00 PM
I guess it probably would have helped us if you popped up your set up in the first place, where you have or havent got space etc etc etc, i wouldnt have had to stay awake all night racking by single brain cell for ideas and searching for stuff!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahaha

ok then, how about making up something like these

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products/water/fishing-rod-carriers/multi-purpose-holder-heavy-duty-vortex_rmph

Clunk
24th January 2014, 08:11 PM
bolt this onto the top edge of your roof rack cage

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RAM-Mount-RAM-Tube-Jr-Fishing-Rod-Holder-High-Strength-Composite-/271332914827?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f2cb3b68b&_uhb=1

Clunk
24th January 2014, 08:15 PM
I'm sure this one will be totally legal and a bargain to boot

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Anglers-Fish-n-Mate-6-Rod-Holder-Fold-Down-for-Vehicle-/310852945527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4860478677&_uhb=1

BigRAWesty
24th January 2014, 09:43 PM
West I'm not sure I understand that mate. Would you be able to explain that another way? Thanks for your help guys.
I'm just out of room and every time if think so something I have nowhere to put it :(

Does this clear it up a little..

Warwick89
25th January 2014, 12:09 AM
I guess it probably would have helped us if you popped up your set up in the first place, where you have or havent got space etc etc etc, i wouldnt have had to stay awake all night racking by single brain cell for ideas and searching for stuff!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahaha

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products/water/fishing-rod-carriers/multi-purpose-holder-heavy-duty-vortex_rmph

Mate that looks good it's on the short list for sure. Thanks for your help mate

Warwick89
25th January 2014, 12:11 AM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Anglers-Fish-n-Mate-6-Rod-Holder-Fold-Down-for-Vehicle-/310852945527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4860478677&_uhb=1

Hahaha yeah mate totally legal. With plenty of storage too lol

Warwick89
25th January 2014, 12:13 AM
Does this clear it up a little..

Yeah mate that cleared it up lol. Cheers.

MudRunnerTD
25th January 2014, 12:15 AM

bolt this onto the top edge of your roof rack cage

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RAM-Mount-RAM-Tube-Jr-Fishing-Rod-Holder-High-Strength-Composite-/271332914827?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f2cb3b68b&_uhb=1

You are On Fire Clunk!! Bloody Champ mate!! Warwick! Clunks all over this mate!! Love ya work mate. ;)

Warwick89
25th January 2014, 01:49 AM
You are On Fire Clunk!! Bloody Champ mate!! Warwick! Clunks all over this mate!! Love ya work mate. ;)

Yeah he is but thanks not only too him but everyone for their help today.

Clunk
25th January 2014, 02:01 AM

Yeah he is but thanks not only too him but everyone for their help today.

I have my moments of weakness......
Don't get used to it!!!!!! Bwahahahaha

MEGOMONSTER
25th January 2014, 10:38 AM
I have my moments of weakness......

Hopefully not in the bladder.
See you can achieve greatness, you just need to believe in yourself. PML.

threedogs
25th January 2014, 12:21 PM
Put your rods in a PVC tube and pack it with foam dust proof to boot.
Shite years ago when I went rock fishing with dad down Phillip Island way
,we just tied them to the passenger side door handles, 59 FC wagon

Clunk
25th January 2014, 12:23 PM
Put your rods in a PVC tube and pack it with foam dust proof to boot.
Shite years ago when I went rock fishing with dad down Phillip Island way
,we just tied them to the passenger side door handles, 59 FC wagon

He's already said tubes are no good as he wants to keep the reels on

threedogs
25th January 2014, 12:48 PM
you can buy zip up rod hold carriers that allow you to keep your reel on,
If he poked some foam rubber down the pvc his rods wont bounce especially if they are in their bags
Google would be his friend but they wouldn't be cheap,
Better still take telescopic rods they collapse to nothing and come in different sizes

MudRunnerTD
25th January 2014, 12:50 PM
Cable tie them to your high lift jack mate. You generally won't be using that. I bet you use your fishing rods more than the highlift. If you have to carry the high lift you might as well make it useful.

Warwick89
25th January 2014, 01:11 PM
Thank guys for all your help.

BigRAWesty
25th January 2014, 04:32 PM
How I carry my 6'10 bait caster.
Similar to how I explained before.
Once my roof rack is on I'll get some of those clamps.. But I don't carry them full time..

Warwick89
25th January 2014, 05:05 PM
How I carry my 6'10 bait caster.
Similar to how I explained before.
Once my roof rack is on I'll get some of those clamps.. But I don't carry them full time..

Cheers Westy now I completely understand.

What does everyone think about the Thule carrier I linked? Any problems with it you can foresee?

Cheers Warwick

Edit: don't worry about the Thule castaway it's discontinued

Clunk
25th January 2014, 05:16 PM
Cheers Westy now I completely understand.

What does everyone think about the Thule carrier I linked? Any problems with it you can foresee?

Cheers Warwick

No cheap but looks good n secure

Waza
27th January 2014, 09:40 AM
12' beach rod for tailor ?
If so rig your line with a swivel that can pass thru your rod tip. Use & make up some traces with snap swivels for fast rigging up & changes.
This will allow you to remove your reel, stow it out of all harms way with your fishing tackle ( you still have to get the tackle box etc out of the car When fishing )
It wii take only a minute to attach the reel & rig up !
Carry your rod on the roof & travel with it mounted butt fiorward to avoid broken rod tips.

A rod without a reel mounted is much easier to accommodate IMO YMMV

Cheers
Waza

gaddy
27th January 2014, 11:08 AM
How I carry mine In the company car when traveling 39789