PDA

View Full Version : GU Y61 Suspension upgrade - advise please

Vmax
12th August 2013, 02:17 PM
Hello !!!
1. i need to change the springs and shockers in my 1999 Patrol GU Y61.
I dont want to make it a full time off roader (for now) since i use this a lot on highways, village /hilly roads most of it tarmac :icon_bonk: yes! sorry but true
so basically i'm looking for something that gives good ride quality for medium bumpy terrain, improved braking and handling in terms of body roll and steering response but also with decent off road capability.
2. what about suspension bushes poly vs rubber. do i stay on rubber or go with poly and do you have any recommendations. if i change to poly will there be more in cabin vibration and will the ride become harsh.

MudRunnerTD
12th August 2013, 02:21 PM
Hi Mate,

Search 2" lift on here and you will find a heap of info...HEAPS of Info on this topic.

For me, Old Man Emu for your application will be perfect. also Leave the genuine Nissan Rubber bushes in place. If they are knackered then replace with Genuine Nissan Rubber bushes. Poly Bushes are Junk.

happygu
12th August 2013, 05:01 PM
Vmax,

Stick with the Nissan rubber bushes, as they last longer, and are a little bit more forgiving than the poly bushes.

I haven't been to India, but I get the idea that there are a lot of roads that are in pretty poor shape, and the poly bushes crack and fatigue with constant flexing, where the rubber bushes will give and last longer.

I think a quality 2" lift, such as Old Man Emu, will give you a nice ride, as you can specify comfort shocks for a lush ride. Not sure what brands you have readily available...

Mic

Ronin
13th August 2013, 12:24 PM
Vmax, do nissan sell Patrol in india ?

Sent from my mobile.

Vmax
25th August 2013, 02:32 PM
No such luck Ronin, only the Xtrail. lot of catching up to do huh ;)

Vmax, do nissan sell Patrol in india ?

Sent from my mobile.

Vmax
28th August 2013, 06:48 PM
i requisitioned OME and Ironman for their 2"lift kits and the response from ironman India was unbelievable, they even had everything in stock, so i got the 2 " lift kit with 4 coil springs, nitro charged comfort shocks and the castor correction poly bushes installed (in half a day). Absolutely love it, what a difference. Better than my expectations in all departments - cornering stability, under braking and riding the big and high speed bumps. the only area where i feel there can be some improvement is the riding of small sharp bumps and pot holes, theres a bit of a 'thud', maybe if i change the steel wheels with light weight alloys ? dont know just a thought. OME finally got back to me with a quote, a day after installing the IM and at almost double the price. hmmm. no regrets, Thanks IM - happy customer :) :bananarock: