PDA

View Full Version : speedo problem

paps
6th January 2011, 03:48 PM
Hi guys
just joined up. I too have a 91 Patrol - love her to bits, only problem is, like many of us here, speedo doesn't work or the odometer. Was working ok for some time, then one day, just shut off. Taco works ok. Have taken unit out and re-tightened all the screws at the back, sometimes this has worked for a bit, then bang, SILENCE. Funny thing is, sometimes speedo works as taco; other times, at stand still, I am doing 60 Km and haven't moved an inch - BANG, silence (zero).
I'm not that tech savvy as I would like to be (time constraints). My mechanic has no idea, Nissan is "unaware" of such issues. Any help would be great. I have read some of the posts here and looks like we are all in the same boat. Is there one particular cause or a variety, ie, faulty connectors???

Bugger me

YNOT
6th January 2011, 07:17 PM
I haven't heard of that fault before, but to me it sounds like either an internal instrument cluster fault or a wiring fault. First thing I would do is remove and inspect the speedo sender at the gearbox, make sure it's all in tact and the drive gear is properly fitted and secure. Failing that try to get hold of another instrument cluster to test.

Tony

the evil twin
6th January 2011, 09:22 PM
Thats an unusual one and I can't quite decipher your symptoms exactly but I suggest the following...

If neither the speedo or odometer are working check the cable underbody from the gearbox sensor for cuts/damage etc from rocks or whatever and (as suggested already) for a stripped gearbox cog.

The speedo acting a bit like a tacho intermittently is possibly just spurious pulses getting into it as it has lost the grounded shielding but certainly can't rule out the instrument cluster yet

Anyway, check that external cabling first and let us know how you go

Finly Owner
6th January 2011, 10:35 PM
Hi guys
just joined up. I too have a 91 Patrol - love her to bits, only problem is, like many of us here, speedo doesn't work or the odometer. Was working ok for some time, then one day, just shut off. Taco works ok. Have taken unit out and re-tightened all the screws at the back, sometimes this has worked for a bit, then bang, SILENCE. Funny thing is, sometimes speedo works as taco; other times, at stand still, I am doing 60 Km and haven't moved an inch - BANG, silence (zero).
I'm not that tech savvy as I would like to be (time constraints). My mechanic has no idea, Nissan is "unaware" of such issues. Any help would be great. I have read some of the posts here and looks like we are all in the same boat. Is there one particular cause or a variety, ie, faulty connectors???

Bugger me

PAPS where r u from?

I can put you onto somebody to test it for you if in Brissie

Silver
19th February 2011, 03:48 AM
speedo in our Mav intermittently stopped working. Required a new transducer at the gearbox end. From memory $180 from Nissan, auto leccie said hard to come by from wreckers.

paps
19th February 2011, 06:13 PM
thanks, haven't been able to do much as yet but i'll keep that one in mind

Silver
20th February 2011, 02:58 AM
I was a bit cranky Paps, that the auto leccie went ahead and fitted the new transducer, without calling first as I had just bought another... GPS for $125 that shows speed and will do trip meter functions.

It is nice to look at the big speedo on the dash, and depending on where the GPS is fitted, perhaps safer, and a few people have told me that a car without a speedo is unroadworthy, and they went on to say that the GPS wouldn't cut it. Personally I'd be prepared to take that one to a Magistrate, but, who knows. Hope it works out for you!

benzo
8th April 2011, 01:18 AM
is it known for the solioinds to burn out on patrols y60

speedway
16th April 2011, 10:46 AM
I had a similar problem with my ute and found it was a problem with the trip reset sticking, when I reset the trip meter it sometimes takes a lot of fiddling (pumping the reset button) to get it to reset and if it doesen't reset properly the speedo dosen't work, some more fiddling and it works again.
Keith.