PDA

View Full Version : noisy power steering pump

boggy2006
6th January 2011, 08:20 AM
hi,

my GQ had a leak from one of the power steering pipes out of the cooler and the level in the fluid reservoir dropped down without me noticing and made the pump noisy. I fixed the leak and topped it up. All was ok for a couple of days, but now the pump is getting noisier and noisier. Like a buzzing, whining sound (sometimes like a super charger whine). It starts off noisy from cold, then almost goes away after a minute, doesn't really vary with turning the wheel, but appears louder when the engine is on load and can change into a rasping buzz when the engine is on load at high revs.
Is there anything I can repair or do I need to change the pump?

Thanks

YNOT
6th January 2011, 11:38 AM
90% chance you will need a new pump.
Try bleeding the pump first though as there may be air in the system. With the car stationary and the engine idling, turn the steering from left lock to right lock and back about 12 to 15 times, or do a series of low speed (as in no wheel spin!) figure 8's turning from lock to lock.
See how that goes.

Tony

Finly Owner
6th January 2011, 10:29 PM
Can they be rebuilt Tony? If so is DIY by getting kit?

Ben-e-boy
8th January 2011, 08:17 PM
you could rebuild the pump, but i doubt that there would be a kit. realistically a power steering pump has 2 moving parts, 1 is a front bearing and the other is a rear bearing. so if you have the skills to disassemble/ reassemble remove the bearings and take them to a bearing supplier. If you do that I strongly advise that replace whatever seals are in the pump which you couls also get from a bearing and or a hydraulics supplier

Finly Owner
8th January 2011, 10:50 PM
the steering pumps I have pulled apart had seals and veins, and you can put the veins in backwards if you didn't know which way was which.

YNOT
8th January 2011, 11:13 PM
If the pump has been run dry the vanes may be worn from lack of lubrication.

Tony

Ben-e-boy
9th January 2011, 10:54 AM
If the pump has been run dry the vanes may be worn from lack of lubrication.

Tony

and if they are a carbon veined pump I will not be surprised if it is cheaper to get a new pump. the cost of carbon veins are borderline extortion.

boggy2006
9th January 2011, 07:33 PM
thanks guys. I got a quote from Autobarn for $180 for the pump. Doesn't seem too bad for a new one. Might be easiest just to swap it anyway.

I had a pump go on a Delica before after heavy use, it went noisy and had now power steering. But this one seems to work fine, it just randomly whines on and off. Plenty of fluid in it and I've bleed the system.

Edit: I went in to order the pump today and to my horror they'de quoted me wrong, it was actually $420. Bugger, should have bought it yesterday...back to ebay I suppose.