PDA

View Full Version : Camera preference

wildgu6
6th August 2013, 08:01 PM
Hi guys / Gals, Looking at getting a 1/2 decent camera. Know theres some pretty handy fellas out there with cameras and they get some really great shots. Looking at getting a Samsung NX20 and just wondering if anyone has had anything to do with them or have heard any reports on them. Also wondering what your prefence with cameras would be and why ????

Cheers Pete

NissanGQ4.2
6th August 2013, 08:18 PM
Hi Stranger, hope all is well with u and the fam

I have never used Samsungs camera's but after a quick read on the net the one you looking at gets marked high

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samsung_nx20_review/

I am a Cannon guy, why............. grew up with using my old mans Cannon 35mm SLR camera, and it coped a lot of punishment from me on 4wd trips, took a hell of a lot for me to destroy it...............old man wasn't very impressed!

Hopefully one of the guys on here that take pics all the time will see this post pop up and give you some advise

Cheers

Toddie

trekster
6th August 2013, 08:19 PM
My preference is my Pentax, but that's because its the only one I have and all my lenses fit it hahaha

I bought mine 2nd hand from America, Racked up many thousands of clicks since then :)

wildgu6
6th August 2013, 08:32 PM
Hi Stranger, hope all is well with u and the fam

I have never used Samsungs camera's but after a quick read on the net the one you looking at gets marked high

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samsung_nx20_review/

I am a Cannon guy, why............. grew up with using my old mans Cannon 35mm SLR camera, and it coped a lot of punishment from me on 4wd trips, took a hell of a lot for me to destroy it...............old man wasn't very impressed!

Hopefully one of the guys on here that take pics all the time will see this post pop up and give you some advise

Cheers

Toddie

Hey Toddie, all good here mate, all work no play hahahahahaha, Hope alls good with you Erin and the terrors mate.
All the reviews i have been reading all seem to be from sellers, so just chasing an honest opinion.

fracster
6th August 2013, 08:38 PM
I don`t know anything about the Samsungs, so can`t help i`m afraid.

NissanGQ4.2
6th August 2013, 08:51 PM
Hey Toddie, all good here mate, all work no play hahahahahaha, Hope alls good with you Erin and the terrors mate.
All the reviews i have been reading all seem to be from sellers, so just chasing an honest opinion.

The one in my link is not from a Seller

It also has a comments tab that shows comments from the public

kevin07
6th August 2013, 09:08 PM
im a canon person myself but in this day and age and not reading the link I cannot see any problems with the Samsung or any other camera for that matter I know with my canon the lens selection goes as far as how wide you can open your wallet. but as far as pixels and that not much difference I say purchase away.kev

trekster
6th August 2013, 09:13 PM
I guess it comes down to preference, this is the camera I bought

http://www.cnet.com.au/pentax-k20d-339285396.htm

I like that this camera has inbuilt shake reduction, can take a multitude of lenses including older ones (buy adapter ring and run the manual m42 lenses) Has weather seals across the whole body so can be used in rain etc, obviously not waterproof under water but great to use in dusty or wet conditions.

I guess your best bet is if you are buying new to research brands across your price range BUT don't rule out buying 2nd hand, you might get a higher spec camera around the same price albeit not being new.

menace 2
6th August 2013, 11:27 PM
it probably depends on what you really want to do with a camera ?..do you want one smaller and more portable , then most brands have top cameras in this area..if you want semi professional then a SLR would be better but more bulky and with heaps of attachments....I have a Nikon D40 SLR with all the lenses etc ...I like to take night shots and inside shots without the flash...more natural...I bought the Nikon because it is all they make in this area so hence I felt their technology is more dedicated as opposed to brands that also make other products...I had a small canon once...it was a good camera and could take a beating (to a certain extent)...phones these days take just as good a shot as the small ones now so if you want to get better especially with the large lenses etc then I would recommend a SLR ...cheers

threedogs
7th August 2013, 07:53 AM
x 2 with Menace a bit, wouldn't you buy a camera with high MPs, for close up work phones aren't too bad, I still
have dads Pentax SLR x70 I think it has never been used, I have a small Olympus unit heavy for size, but tend to use phone

pearcey
7th August 2013, 08:31 AM
G`day , Pete mate
Good to see your keeping the economy going and the family is OK.
You know what I`ve got but give Ajos a PM as he into photography and may have some good tips.
Have been trying to catch up but we`ve only got 3 week until we take off to Tas for 3months and have been pushed for time
I have no idea how I fitted work in before I retired
Best of luck with the camera and hope to catch up

Pearcey

rusty_nail
7th August 2013, 08:55 AM
hi mate, only thing i can recommend is to stick with nikon or cannon. they have the biggest lens selection out there and pretty good warranty on their products. i just bought my missus a Nikon D3100 with an 18-55mm lens and 55-200mm lens as a kit for about $600. my old man used to own a photographic business and now i am pretty good mates with the bloke who bought it off him and they both shot with nikon. cannon is just as good tho.

edit: higher megapixels wont give you a better photo, at the end of the day photo quality depends on a number of things, such as lens quality(glass of plastic) and sensor size

rafa
7th August 2013, 09:01 AM
My advice would be stay small. I went to digital SLR canon. Trouble is because its bigger I took less photos. I take heaps with my iPhone. And next to none with SLR

Marty.

outback
7th August 2013, 03:40 PM
Depending on how much you want to spend and what type of pictures you will take.

2 possibilities:
1. Get a compact camera. Some are very good and just fit on your pocket.
2. Look at say the Nikon D3100 18-55 & 55-300mm VR Twin Lens Kit or the Nikon D3200 18-55 & 55-300mm VR Twin Lens Kit

Some of the comments on that Samsung NX20 page re Samsung lenses were not very positive.

Also the D3100/3200 are at the same level as the Samsung NX20.

I use a Pentax and Nikon so a far as Samsung goes can't help much.

wildgu6
7th August 2013, 07:34 PM
G`day , Pete mate
Good to see your keeping the economy going and the family is OK.
You know what I`ve got but give Ajos a PM as he into photography and may have some good tips.
Have been trying to catch up but we`ve only got 3 week until we take off to Tas for 3months and have been pushed for time
I have no idea how I fitted work in before I retired
Best of luck with the camera and hope to catch up

Pearcey

Hey Pearcey, thanks mate.
So tell me what optical zoom does your snapper have, seen the results and like it. know a few things to look for in settings etc but not a proffessor hahaha as you know lol.
Would be good to catch up, but know what you meen about time, weather dont help much either.
Gave Ajoz a PM as suggested, see what he can suggest.
If we dont get 7!$$eD before you head off, have a great trip.
Catch up soon hopefully.
Cheers

wildgu6
7th August 2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks for your responses guys, gives me a bit to think on and research,
What sort of optical zoom should i be looking for, just want to get top shots, but not pro. Looking at around $500 - 600
through research and advice i have found a few things ie settings, brands and other bibs and bobs to kind of look for.
Again thanks guys, very helpful.

Maxhead
7th August 2013, 07:55 PM
Hey Pete, I was in a situation recently looking at an all rounder which would be small, compact and compare to SLR quality. I found this Panasonic beast with 25-600mm zoom with F2.8 aperture across the full zoom range....quite incradible.

I have used it and the pics are superb mate!!!

The pixels are lower then most but with the lens quality and the amount of light the lens will let in at full zoom you wont need any better

Have a look here: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fz200/index.html

wildgu6
7th August 2013, 08:31 PM
Nice lookin bit of kit there Kris, will be having a good look at that one i think. Cheers mate

pearcey
7th August 2013, 09:08 PM
Hey Pearcey, thanks mate.
So tell me what optical zoom does your snapper have, seen the results and like it. know a few things to look for in settings etc but not a proffessor hahaha as you know lol.
Would be good to catch up, but know what you meen about time, weather dont help much either.
Gave Ajoz a PM as suggested, see what he can suggest.
If we dont get 7!$$eD before you head off, have a great trip.
Catch up soon hopefully.
Cheers

Pete
As I take a lot of motor sport and aircraft shots I use a 55 to 200 lens, but could do with a 55 to 300. I also have an 18 to 55 which I use for family and close shots ha ha ha.
As my camera is a low end unit it has a couple of issues which I would address next time around.Those being in sports mode it only shoots 3 to 4 frames a second and to shoot really close Macro I need a good Macro lens.Next time around I will get some thing that shoots around 10 frames a second in sports mode and get a 55 to 300 lens.
Just realized my first Digital camera was a Samsung 4 mega pixel,3 times optical,12 time digital zoom with all the fancy stuff including a Schneider lens,small ,compact and served me well for some 10 years. cost me over a grand 14 years ago.Try and speak to a camera club or a professional photographer. Photographic Wholesalers in Hutt street in the city have been very good every time I have used them. Work out what are your main photo preferences are and have a chat to them and possibly go one model higher. Spend up big mate and keep the economy going
Will try and catch up but don`t hold your breath as I`m flatout. By the way work out what you want and try for a second hand one as there are some top bargains out there
Best of luck mate
Pearcey

outback
8th August 2013, 12:19 AM
As Pearcey mentioned drop into Photographic Wholesalers in Hutt street or any of the Diamonds Camera shops. Both are the same company anyway.

You could always just spend big and go for this nice little piece of gear.
Nikon D800 (http://www.diamondscamera.com.au/digital-slr-cameras/nikon-d/nikon-d800-body-only.html)

One other option is do a good check on ebay as there are some good cameras and lenses available.

rusty_nail
8th August 2013, 02:16 PM
just be careful with ebay stuff, as they are "grey Imports" and sellers dont offer an australian warranty.

outback
9th August 2013, 08:36 PM
:smiley_thumbs_up::biggrin:
just be careful with ebay stuff, as they are "grey Imports" and sellers dont offer an australian warranty.

True mate, but I was refering to 'pre loved gear' sold in Australia. Many second hand cameras are just as good as a brand new one.

But I still love my nice Nikon D800.:biggrin: Ok cost a fourtune but does everything I want.

meh
9th August 2013, 08:40 PM
We bought a Canon 600D twin lens kit for a good price and it takes some amazing pics

TPC
9th August 2013, 08:47 PM
We bought a Canon 600D twin lens kit for a good price and it takes some amazing pics

That is what I am looking at, I like the sound of the image stabilizing lenses and good price.

meh
9th August 2013, 09:04 PM
That is what I am looking at, I like the sound of the image stabilizing lenses and good price.
I cant fault it. Even when left on the automatic setting. I picked it up a year ago for $800 after talking them down so id say they would be a bit cheaper now

fracster
10th August 2013, 02:36 AM
Most important things are budget, how they feel in your hands and what are you going to use it for.

Consider second hand stuff, people upgrade as soon as Canikon bring new models out, just so they can have the latest gear.The market is awash with good secondhand bodies. Good glass is imperative, no point having a 2 grand body with a jam jar in front of it.

How big are your hands? Could you cope with using a small body like the Nikon d3200 for example. Would the camera feel right.

If you just want some shots of the familly and holidays, there are some very good bridge cameras and point n shoots on the market.

If you get a DSLR and all the associated crap, would you take it all with you? I sometimes can`t be bothered and just take my p n s.

You don`t need the best gear available to take decent shots, learn now to use what you get,loads of advice on You Tube/internet forums etc etc.

Timmo
10th August 2013, 09:18 AM
I use just a basic camera its a FUJI FINE PIX S4000 does every thing I need how ever, when I get a bit more money I will be getting a better up market camera.

DX grunt
10th August 2013, 09:39 AM
Does anybody have a preference for a newby getting their first DSLR camera? A bit of an open question - just like...what are the best tyres? lol

wildgu6
10th August 2013, 09:44 AM
Does anybody have a preference for a newby getting their first DSLR camera? A bit of an open question - just like...what are the best tyres? lol

Hey Rossco, been conversing with Ajoz as he's into photography and he's suggested the Nikon D3200 as an entry level SLR. Going to suss em out today, great lookin piece of kit too.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

wildgu6
10th August 2013, 03:15 PM
Well i've just had a lesson on cameras from the pro's at the Photographic wholesalers,
Jeesh i thought buying a camera would be easy, but couldnt of been happier with the information and advice recieved.
Went in to look at a few different kits and now left scratching my head, what do i really want, what to do lol.
Looked at the Nikon D3200 DSLR, top lookin unit which gives an excellent picture, but limited on zoom unless i spend extra $$$ which breaks budget.
Also the Canon 700D DSLR as the 650D is now no more, also a great lookin unit and excellent pic, but again limited zoom unless extra $$$ spent.
Then came the Canon power shot SX50, another top unit with a great pic, and the zoom far exceeds the above, but compramises on pic quality depending how pedantic you are,
Then the Lumix FZ200, pretty much on the same level as the Canon Power shot. Both of which you can NOT add to if you get bored with what you got, were as you can always add to the DSLR.
All top units with in budget. which i would be more than happy with.
Then comes the curve ball, The quality of the DSLR's with the zoom of the other 2,
The Olympus OMD - EM5, Better pic than the Canon power shot and the lumix FZ200, but better zoom than the DSLR's.....Bam there goes the budget.
What to do, i thought i wanted a DSLR, but i want good zoom so i can catch that lizard on a rock from afar so to speak.
mmmmmmmm guess i will have to give this a bit more thought, hope this helps a few out there in the market for a camera but like me, know very little about cameras, but was a great little lesson from the bloke at the store that really knew his Shiz.

Cheers

Maxhead
10th August 2013, 03:31 PM
Hey Pete, If you're comparing camera features, etc. this is a handy site: http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/cameras?utm_campaign=internal&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text

wildgu6
10th August 2013, 04:50 PM
That's a pretty handy site Kris, cheers mate, will have a good squiz at that later

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

outback
10th August 2013, 06:53 PM
Yes the Nikon D3200 is a nice intro camera. May I suggest you look at something like DickSmith as some times they have the D3100 with twin lense kit going at a reasonable price. The D3100 is just the pre runner for teh D3200. For what you are looking at this would be a good buy.

Also go to a Diamonds Camera shop and haggle re the D3200 twin lense kit or the D3100 twin lense kit.
Diamonds and Camera Wearhouse are the same . When you mentioned was that the crowd in Hutt street?

pearcey
10th August 2013, 07:27 PM
G`day Pete
Glad you went to Hutt st as they are seam to be alot more helpful than their retail outlets IE Diamonds. When I shopped around all the retail outlet s did was push their most profitable brand.I don't envy you as you`ll get a good unit then 3months down the track you`ll want to expand your kit ,any way have fun and start saving those $$$$$

faisalahmed
12th January 2019, 06:16 PM
I suggest you Nikon D7200. Free of an optical low-pass filter, the Nikon D7200 (https://productz.com/en/nikon-d7200-digital-camera)produces remarkably pure, sharp photos and videos. Its 24.2 MP DX-format CMOS image sensor works together with EXPEED 4 image processing and NIKKOR lenses to enhance detail and tonality. This outstanding image quality is maintained all the way up to ISO 25,600 (two full stops higher than the D7200's predecessor) for amazing low-light images. You can also now expand the ISO range up to BW1 (51,200) and BW2 (102,400) to shoot monochromatic photos in even more challenging lighting situations. Whether shooting stills or video, selecting the 1.3x crop mode extends the reach of NIKKOR DX and FX-format lenses, getting you closer to sports, action, wildlife and more.