PDA

View Full Version : AiT td42 turbo kit any good?

bexi
5th January 2011, 10:49 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking at a turbo kit for my 1993 ford maverick which i have just bought. I know questions about turbo kits are very frequently asked but i've struggled to find much info on this particular one

I have 3 questions:

1) what is the deal with the pre93 motors being tougher and how do i know which motor i have?

2) have many people just bought a manifold and made up their own kits from there?

3) Should i not buy this turbo kit and wait for a more reputable brand to come up 2nd hand?
I can get the AiT turbo kit at quite a good price but just a bit nervous about how uncommon it is. I've done a search on the forum and have found a small amount of info which stated that the manifold and exhaust housing around external wastegate can crack. It also seems like some maverick's/patrols were fitted with these kits by nissan dealerships which would then make me think it has to be half decent. The kit i can get is quite complete with dump pipe and front section of 3 inch exhaust even included. The exhaust housing outlet looks to be about 3 inch in diameter which worried me a little thinking that it may be a bit big and have a bit of lag for a diesel that only revs to 3500-4000rpm. The plus side is that the actual turbo didn't have much play in the shaft. seemed quite good.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
bexi

YNOT
5th January 2011, 11:10 PM
1) what is the deal with the pre93 motors being tougher and how do i know which motor i have? I don't know about pre '93 motors being tougher, I think the change over was a bit later than that. GQ's came out with a silver top (silver rocker cover) TD42 which had stronger, heavier pistons than the later (GU) black top TD42 engines. Unless you plan on building a race engine with massive boost either engine will easily handle a well designed (and tuned) turbo system running up to about 15 psi boost.

2) have many people just bought a manifold and made up their own kits from there? It has been done, but I wouldn't be doing it unless you have a good understanding of diesel engines and turbo's. If you get it wrong the results could e expensive.

3) Should i not buy this turbo kit and wait for a more reputable brand to come up 2nd hand?
I can get the AiT turbo kit at quite a good price but just a bit nervous about how uncommon it is. I've done a search on the forum and have found a small amount of info which stated that the manifold and exhaust housing around external wastegate can crack (are you sure this relates to a TD42 turbo kit, external wastegates are normally the domain of high boost petrol engines). It also seems like some maverick's/patrols were fitted with these kits by nissan dealerships which would then make me think it has to be half decent (AiT have been in the turbo game for a long time, so their kits should be well matched to the engine). The kit i can get is quite complete with dump pipe and front section of 3 inch exhaust even included. The exhaust housing outlet looks to be about 3 inch in diameter which worried me a little thinking that it may be a bit big and have a bit of lag for a diesel that only revs to 3500-4000rpm (Lag is a product of poor turbo sizing for a particular engine, the dump pipe size will increase lag if it is too small, 3" is fine for a TD42.). The plus side is that the actual turbo didn't have much play in the shaft. seemed quite good.

Tony

justrocho
2nd February 2011, 11:59 PM
go for it i have one that was fitted in 89 new. at 497000 it is still a powerhouse on std motor.manifold cracked twice but replacements are available from mike vine in brisbane made better

Milik607
10th February 2011, 07:12 AM
www.sklep.pl Excellent site, where going to get whatever you need.