PDA

View Full Version : slow starter

eagle1
5th January 2011, 12:58 PM
:1087:Hi there
i have just purchased a 99 gu patrol 2.8td. Every time it sit's for awhile it takes a good 20-30 seconds to start then blows a cloud of smoke once started. The engine winds but just won't turn over. Once going no problems. i am new at this so as much help as possible would be appreciated

thanks
Eagle1 :blowup:

Woof
5th January 2011, 01:04 PM
Welcome Eagle1, always good to post up an introduction before asking questions mate, gets everyone on side and you will find that you get more assistance......go here to post http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions

Ben-e-boy
5th January 2011, 06:47 PM
Gday eagle 1

It could be afew things. Your glow plugs are shagged( or you arnt glowing them before start up) or (as with mine at the moment) your battery is at the end of its service life. it still holds charge but dosnt have enough oomph to cold crank it I have a company car so my patrol isnt a daily driver so when I go to start it cold it does take about 10 revolutions to start if it does not drain the battery first. or worst case your compression is low

Hope this helps a bit

Benny

eagle1
5th January 2011, 07:41 PM
thanks benny, i do let the glow light go out be4 starting. i can keep the key turned and it wants to start but won't so i think my battery is fine but will do a check though. will do a compression test to c if that is the problem.thanks again.

Ben-e-boy
5th January 2011, 08:07 PM
thanks benny, i do let the glow light go out be4 starting. i can keep the key turned and it wants to start but won't so i think my battery is fine but will do a check though. will do a compression test to c if that is the problem.thanks again.

any battery place and some mechanics will do a battery test free of charge

Finly Owner
5th January 2011, 09:49 PM

You won't be able to do a true compression test without a diesel compression tester. As deisel compression is higher than petrol engines.

Tim

GQshorty
18th February 2012, 06:06 PM
i have a simlar problem with my td42 and i just egnoor it

aaron
19th February 2012, 01:35 PM
Mate try this dubbel glow on cold start wait till the glow light goes out turn key off after 5sec ull hear a click re glow again till light goes out then start try that mate see how you go as is what i do to mine when i first start. if not battery or glow plugs + how man km has it done ?