PDA

View Full Version : Coroners Report into Snatch Strap death

Woof
5th January 2011, 01:55 PM
FYI, please read and take note of the findings everyone.
http://www.magistratescourt.tas.gov.au/decisions/coronial_findings/s/stein,_joshua_phillip_-_2010_tascd_418

AB
5th January 2011, 08:55 PM
Good read and hopefully a wake up call for some people or hopefully some people have learnt something, thanks Doggy.

The tongue plate has been joined to the RHS hitch by an external fillet weld around all four sides. It was evident water had accumulated at the closed end and caused corrosion. The extent of corrosion was consistent with what would be expected from sea water. Wall thickness had been reduced by corrosion from 4mm to 2.mm along the top of the RHS, 2mm along the sides and 1 mm along the bottom. Average loss of wall thickness would have been greater than 50 percent. On a pro rata basis gross trailer mass of 1.5 tonne would have been more than halved.

I found this part interesting too, not that you should obviously ever use a tow ball for recovery but interesting to read anyhow. 50% loss from corrosion over time is quite a lot.

DX grunt
5th January 2011, 09:06 PM
http://www.magistratescourt.tas.gov.au/decisions/coronial_findings/s/stein,_joshua_phillip_-_2010_tascd_418

Thanks Wayne. Very sobering thoughts.

Maxhead
5th January 2011, 09:11 PM
Cheers Doggy. Hope people take notice and convey this kind of information to all 4wd drivers.
Clearly theres plenty out there not following safe/correct recovery procedures.

Woof
5th January 2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks Wayne. Very sobering thoughts.

Very scary stuff, cold shivers went up my spine when I read it.
As you always say Ross, "Take care out there"...............................everyone please do it.

AB
5th January 2011, 09:20 PM
The scary part is a lot of people just simply don't know!

I had a friend about 6 months ago come up to me with a "brilliant idea". He had made up two steel plates that go over the tow ball for a quick recovery. Unfortunately I explained to this friend what can happen, etc and he was extremely dissapointed as he spent many hours designing and building the idea. He has been 4wding many times and just simply did not know???

DX grunt
5th January 2011, 09:22 PM
Very scary stuff, cold shivers went up my spine when I read it.
As you always say Ross, "Take care out there"...............................everyone please do it.

If I can help one person remember to 'Take car out there', I'm more than happy.

Finly Owner
5th January 2011, 10:31 PM
I will be sending this to endeavour rally organises

MudRunnerTD
5th January 2011, 11:33 PM
It just astounds me that there are still people out there that actively educate people to use a tow ball for a snatch recovery. Damn those People. Let them stand in that bloody court and hear that explanation.

nowoolies
30th January 2011, 01:19 PM
im lost for words

scotchpom
30th January 2011, 05:14 PM
WOW!!!.....that is a wake up call....be checking the mounts on any random vehicle before assisting....poor bloke never had a chance...can't beleive how far the assembly flew after it went through the car, 90metres, whats a tow ball weigh, 8-12kg?? gives you an idea of how much tension is generated in the situation.

beansathome
31st January 2011, 12:23 AM
the sad thing is that it wont be the last time. i know that there will be more close calls and maybe deaths as well from people just not thinking all it takes is some1 to have some common sense ( there seems to be a serious lack of that around these days )
as if a tow ball looks like a good spot to secure something that is under so much strain.

people really shock me with there stupidity seems a little harsh 2 say but come on we all have brains use them

patch697
31st January 2011, 01:01 AM
the sad thing is that it wont be the last time. i know that there will be more close calls and maybe deaths as well from people just not thinking all it takes is some1 to have some common sense ( there seems to be a serious lack of that around these days )
as if a tow ball looks like a good spot to secure something that is under so much strain.

people really shock me with there stupidity seems a little harsh 2 say but come on we all have brains use them

Harsh or not if it saves just one life then let it be said.

Chops
31st January 2011, 01:17 AM
Clearly theres plenty out there not following safe/correct recovery procedures.

Very true, how many people took my word of warning after heart surgery, hey, hey...put your hands up. Just remember, its too late when your gone.

patch697
31st January 2011, 01:19 AM
Very true, how many people took my word of warning after heart surgery, hey, hey...put your hands up. Just remember, its too late when your gone.

I have mate................ I've started on patchs to give up the fags for one.

Sir Roofy
31st January 2011, 12:24 PM
i have mate................ I've started on patchs to give up the fags for one.

i tried the patchs and pills for years, didnt work

bit the bullet ,went to a hypnotheropist ,2 visits havnt smoked for two years now,not a group thing but one on one

patch697
31st January 2011, 12:29 PM
i tried the patchs and pills for years, didnt work

bit the bullet ,went to a hypnotheropist ,2 visits havnt smoked for two years now,not a group thing but one on one

Then if this don't work for me I know there im heading next.

Gotta get off these thing for sure.

Sir Roofy
31st January 2011, 12:41 PM
Know what your saying ,your either going to be dead or very shortwinded like me
and wish you had never started,no i havnt got emphaseema but the lungs are f@$%ed go to do something phisical well that dosnt last long
give,m up mate today is a good day

Finly Owner
1st February 2011, 12:38 AM
well congrats to anyone who kicks the habit. At least 18 yrs ago i went from smoking a pack of Horizon 12mg 50 pack in 24hrs down to nothing, Cold Turkey. No progressive reductions , smoked my last packet normally and quit. Yeah I still have the odd craving when drinking with smokers but haven't been back except for a week where I pulled out the old pipe and statred having a puff of a night, but I couls see how east it was to get addicted agaain and put away never to come out again.

Tim

Sir Roofy
1st February 2011, 08:12 AM
dont think the cravings will ever cease ,but the smell puts me off these days

mudnut
18th March 2017, 12:00 PM

The page cannot be found due to upgrade of site.