PDA

View Full Version : braking system

panther
31st July 2013, 08:05 PM
hi all , i have a question about my brakes. i had to change the rear drums & cylinders on my 85' patrol , so i did that then bled them & they are adjusted to where they should be. my problem now is i have spongy brakes & when i press down on the pedal i can hear air. any idea's as i am going away in it in a couple of weeks & i need to fix it. thanks

YNOT
31st July 2013, 08:22 PM
Did you replace the brake shoes with the drums and cylinders? You may need to bed the shoes into the new drums before you get a good pedal. It's also possible there may still be some air trapped in the system, some brakes can be a bugger to bleed.

pearcey
31st July 2013, 08:33 PM
G`day mate
Is the air sound there when the motor is running and the pedal pushed down and held down,or only as the pedal is being pushed down.
A hydraulic problem can be isolated by clamping of either the front or rear flex hose and checking the pedal height. If the rear is clamped of and the pedal is firm then the problem is in the rear and if the front is clamped off and the pedal is firm then the problem is in the front. If no change then the master may be at fault.The booster will not change the pedal height it only changes the amount of effort to apply the brakes

panther
1st August 2013, 01:23 AM
thank you for both of your replies. sorry , my question was suppose to say i replaced the drum pads & cylinders. one cylinder was totally shot & the brake pads where soaked in fluid so i replaced each of these on both sides. as for the air i can hear it when the motor is running & it does it only as i push the pedal down

pearcey
1st August 2013, 09:31 AM
If this is from under the dash and continuous with the pedal down then it is possible that the rear seal in the booster is leaking.If it only does it as you push the pedal down then stops the booster is working correctly

panther
1st August 2013, 11:46 AM
thanks pearcey , yes it only does it when i push the pedal down then it stops. my main concern is the spongy brakes & therefore lack of brakes

pearcey
1st August 2013, 12:17 PM
G`day mate
OK what you need to do is readjust the brakes then re bleed the system.
Big hint when bleeding the system. DO NOT pump the pedal.Get help and with some one in the car get them to hold the pedal down, you open the bleeder then close it, your help then releases the pedal slowly take 5 to 10 seconds to release the pedal.Repeat this at each wheel and make sure to keep an eye on the fluid level in the master. If your still having trouble pm me your ph no and I`ll ring you

panther
1st August 2013, 07:56 PM
thanks for that pearcey i will do that tomorrow (if not saturday) and i will let you know how it goes. cheers

GQ TANK
3rd August 2013, 01:48 AM
Did you bleed the portioning valve - If I remember its near the chassis under the drivers seat.

Did you bleed the front as well -

Rear pass, rear driver, port valve pass front and driver side.

panther
12th August 2013, 10:54 AM
sorry 4 getting back so late. thanks 2 all who have tried 2 help. Pearcey i have sent u a pm.

panther
14th August 2013, 07:19 PM
All fixed now. thanks 4 everyone's input

pearcey
14th August 2013, 07:40 PM
All fixed now. thanks 4 everyone's input

Great to hear I hope it was just a simple adjustment.
Have a safe and enjoyable trip
Pearcey