PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Fan Clutch.

NUGGET
4th January 2011, 08:11 PM
Hi People i have been reading a post about overheating and it was mentioned about the fan clutch being overlooked, as summer has only started to hit us in Adelaide I have noticed when climbing a few hills the temp gauge works its way up. Normal driving , stop start with or without the aircon on the flat roads dosent seem to trouble the trol. I have checked all hoses coolant and so on but have found I can spin the fan quite easily when the engine is cold or hot , am I on the right track thinking that the fan clutch is stuffed if so is it a job that can be done at home or does it need a pulley to remove the clutch, any help would be ever so helpful.
Regards Rob.

YNOT
4th January 2011, 08:25 PM
With the engine cold (and stationary) if you give the fan a good spin by hand, it should stop spinning within 1/2 to 2/3 of a turn. Any more and I would be replacing the fan hub.

I'll have to check the manual to be 100% sure, but I'm 99% sure it's a straight bolt on job that can easily be done at home with basic hand tools.

Tony

P.S. at the moment if you want to download an RD28 engine manual you will need the GU manual. We're still trying to find the GQ version.

the ferret
4th January 2011, 08:28 PM
Hi Rob, sounds like the fan is a bit tired, easy job to replace, no puller required, You can find them on Ebay.
Other than that buy a new one from Nizzbits, he's on here and his prices are better than Nissans and genuine parts too.

PS, Yes Tony, bolt on, 4 x 6mm nuts, best to remove radiator, saves a bit of skin!!

MQ MAD
5th January 2011, 08:09 AM
For the GQ id rather leave the rad in
4 bolts as above and out she comes,fan and all
Replace the fan at the same time if it has slight cracks in it

Neesmo31
5th January 2011, 08:27 AM
You can get some silicone compound from toyota, crack the hub apart, clean and replace the silicone from the old hub and it should be like new again.

NUGGET
5th January 2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies, ( YNOT) I can give the fan a good spin with engine cold and get it to go around about half the way, and the same when the engine is hot , so the fans a bit sad. So I know what I will be doing the next weekend and I might as well have a go at blocking off the EGR valve at the same time.

Thanks once again if I run into trouble I now feel I can post a question and feel quite at ease that with the vast knowledge in this forum the answer is out there somewhere, thanks guys.

Regards Rob.

YNOT
5th January 2011, 05:04 PM
Ask any questions you want Rob.

Tony