PDA

View Full Version : Bcf battery box

threedogs
25th July 2013, 01:55 PM
Hi all BCF have these battery boxes on sale in latest catalogue, seems like a fair price

XT43
25th July 2013, 07:28 PM
Great price!

I was lucky enough to pick a near new one up off gumtree for $70 so pretty happy with that. Sturdy unit.

rafa
28th July 2013, 08:05 AM
Thanks. Hope Darwin has them.

threedogs
28th July 2013, 08:12 AM
they are a handy item as at camp you can move your light around or down by the river etc.
then just plug in and charge ready for next camp, I top my one up via a 80 watt solar panel.
My battery is only small and only for led floodlights. If its brittle plastic wrap some grey duct tape around it
a few times.

rafa
28th July 2013, 01:22 PM
I know all the reasons to use a deep cycle on one of these. But the thing is I have a good N120zz 790cca ( I think those numbers are right) so am thinking of using until buggered.

So I'm asking is anyone running a fridge not via solar or anything from a crank battery. And how long did it work. Mine is a 40 Engel.

Just went to BCF and bought the battery box with investor model.

Cheers.

Marty.

threedogs
28th July 2013, 01:34 PM
The battery will work for a few trips and if lucky maybe longer not ideal, but if its all you have go for it

rafa
28th July 2013, 02:15 PM
Cheers threedogs. Ill report in after a few :)

Cuppa
28th July 2013, 03:57 PM
How long is a piece of string. It won't last as long as a deep cycle used the same way, but will last longer if not allowed to be used until 'flat'. If using it in that way it is the best choice, because such use will prematurely kill any battery regardless of whether it is a crank or deep cycle type, & thus better to use one that is cheaper, or in this case that you already have.
If you charge it with a smart charger before use to get it 100 % charged (it will gas & bubble) it will run your fridge for longer than if charged on a 'non smart' charger. If running it low whilst away put it on charge as soon as possible when you get back home ( & top up the fluid with distilled water if it needs it, ensuring the plates are covered). Doing this could make the difference between lasting for a few trips & perhaps lasting another year or more. Sitting uncharged for any length of time is another killer.
At the other end of the scale, a good deep cycle battery looked after well can last 8 to 10 years. The main thing to remember is that each time the battery is taken below about 50% capacity (approx 12.3v or 12.4v after having stood with no load for 20 or 30 minutes) it is significantly shortening it's working life.

Cuppa

threedogs
28th July 2013, 04:33 PM
@ rafa if you can find this style battery box all the better, all I've done is fit extra merit and Anderson plugs to it [fused].
has served me well for many years, excepts a 100ah battery, but ATM it only has a deep cycle motorbike size 18 ah job.
as its only used for camp led lights

rafa
29th July 2013, 02:41 PM
Ok so I go to BCF and looked for the cheap ARC battery box. There is the new ARC one identical to Engel for $399. Had to do it. My NN120 fits perfectly I know it deep cycle but gunna see how it goes.

I'm also thinking of mounting a solar panel on roof rack flat. As the ARC battery box has terminals to feed power in.

Lots to think about there. Like will the panel hold up on tough gravel roads week on week out.

Cheers All.

Marty.

threedogs
29th July 2013, 02:51 PM
They are pretty tough, I had one bolted to the roof of a trailer that got loose and went 150 mtrs down a mountain.
Still got it and still use it, but now as I have a different trailer I only set up if I need it. Just don't forget to chase the sun.
Not a fan of fixed solar as you need to park your 4x4 or trailer in the sun, but if only charging [topping up ] you'll be fine.
You have plenty of sun there so you be mad not to go solar IMO
80 watt panel put roughly 4.5 amps back in
100watt around 6 amps no real need to go bigger.
120watt folding if not mounting it.
For general usage an 80 watt will serve you well

rafa
29th July 2013, 04:07 PM
Thanks three dogs. Was thinking the bigger cell may compensate flat mount and not perfect angles etc

rafa
30th July 2013, 08:34 PM
Ok. Engel been running for 16.5 hours now. Was pre cooled. And is with NN120 battery.