PDA

View Full Version : diff light is stuck on =S

bsax
4th January 2011, 02:22 PM
hey all.
as you may (or may not) know i just got a safari gq 1990 beast of a troll.
it hasn't been used for off-roading in the ten years that the previous owner had it.

well i have two questions here.

1) what do i need to do to ensure it goes all sweet off-road?
I've changed the oil in the front diff, i know it needs some grease in the free wheeling hubs (or knuckle joint whatever you call it) because it's bone dry =S and im still yet to change the oil in the rear diff.
any thing else?

and

2) despite me asking what do i need to do before it goes off-road, my mate that i got the car with to take to perth decided to take it with him to lochsport. I was all fine with that but i'm pretty sure i told him not to take it off-road just so we can ensure everything's sweet and nothing will get damaged since it wasn't used for that in the last 10 years.
well he did take it off-road, and ever since then the diff light has been stuck on :jawdrop:

just wondering if there are any suggestions as to what the cause may be to the diff light, i've already changed the oil in the front diff (yet to do the rear).

oh and on an extra note, never use an air gun thats used in changing tyres to tighten the drain plugs in the diff's, makes it impossible to get them off again =\

bsax
4th January 2011, 02:29 PM
ok so excuse the comment of the free wheel hubs or the knuckle joints on the front wheels.
just found in another post that they are meant to look dry and are lubricated from the inside and don't acquire anything unless leaking. XD

YNOT
4th January 2011, 02:47 PM
Is the diff lock actually stuck on? Does on of the rear wheels skip doing tight turns? If yes then I would suspect a fault with the solenoids. If no then it's just an electrical fault/short in the light circuit. Have a look at the wiring to the centre back of the rear diff housing where the actuator is.

Tony

bsax
4th January 2011, 03:07 PM
uhhhh, havent noticed any skipping with the tight turns.
hmm alright.
cheers man.
well the diff lock is set to off aswell but yeah i get ya.
thanks