PDA

View Full Version : sticker crapy decals or whatever you call it

bsax
4th January 2011, 02:05 PM
hey all.
you know how you get some cars with the kind of detailing on the side thats kinda stuck onto the side of the body over the doors?
well i've been trying to get it off, managed to get the top bit of the green and gold crap.
but the glue that's holding it on doesn't want to budge.

i've tried eucalyptus oil but that didn't work.
I'm going to try acetone on it and just rub it on lightly....but i know it may strip the paint so i'm slightly worried it will ruin the paint (not that the paint work is to great being 20 years old)

ill let you all know how i go, but in case that doesn't work....anyone else have any good suggestions?
i heard there is a rubber drill bit you could possibly get?

YNOT
4th January 2011, 02:22 PM
Have you tried using a heat gun to soften the adhesive?

Tony

Bob
4th January 2011, 02:32 PM
I agree with you Tony A Hair Dryer or Heat gun

patch697
4th January 2011, 02:54 PM
You can also leave it out in the sun on a hot day. This can work quite well but can be a bit hit & miss as well.

bsax
4th January 2011, 03:03 PM
cheers all.
its actually out in the sun now...ill go have a look

MQ MAD
4th January 2011, 04:44 PM
Heat gun/hair dryer

Becarefull doin it other ways, you can end up with paint lifting with the sticker

mike
4th January 2011, 10:27 PM
angle grinder and 80 grit flap disc should get em off !! Cheers Mike

MudRunnerTD
5th January 2011, 12:27 AM
angle grinder and 80 grit flap disc should get em off !! Cheers Mike

:clapping:

:smileyvault-cute-bi

MudRunnerTD
5th January 2011, 12:28 AM
Yep, go the hair dryer.

Be really careful using acetone on the sticker mate, you will end up taking paint off. Not Good.

Mrricsta25
27th January 2011, 04:39 PM
i found a great product at super cheap it is called "wax and grease remover" and is made by 3m and i found this to be great. took a little rubbing and a bit of time to complete but it appears as though the paint is in really good condition still, after a good polish of the paint work you can not even see where the stickers have been. my GU is white so may come up better than other colours but for the $12 it cost i reckon it was well worth it.
hope this helps
Rick

archangel
2nd August 2011, 09:13 AM
I run a graphic/web/sign writing business and I deal with this stuff on a day to day basis... there a few tips of the trade!

1. When removing the decal, heat it up first, to give you a better chance of the glue coming with the film.
2. If there is glue left on the surface, SOAK it in turps (paint condition dependent, if it is low quality paint and likely to damage, do not use turps) then use a plastic edged blade (kids knives work well if you dont have sign writers equipment) to scrape off as much as you can
3. there will be left over glue even after step 2. a generous spray with water and hand washing soap over the glue area, then scrub with a clean, but rough textured cloth. You do not want a fine weave or chamois, you want something that will grip the glue. The idea behind the soap and water is it will stop the glue from re-adhering and spreading.
4. Wipe clean with another cloth. there may be extra glue still, so a separate rough cloth with metho will help with this.
5. Polish or wax after this process. Turps, metho and the like are not great for paintwork that is not 100%. It tends to make the paint look very powdery and dry, so you need to replace the protective layers of wax/polish.

I hope this helps! Any questions, please feel free to message me.

timbar
2nd August 2011, 04:29 PM
A little thinners on a rag works a treat but dont rub too hard and it will remove the sticky residue from the stickers

warey
13th August 2011, 10:10 PM
i used a citrus based de greaser to get rid of stickers and residue before works a treat and smelt good too just let it soak for a while i used it on 2 pac paint so it may pay to try in an inconspicous spot first

Gert B Frobe
17th August 2011, 09:52 PM
Use a hair dryer to begin it softens the glue holding the trim.

Get a piece of fishing line and tie the ends to a piece of dowel/broom handle so you have a "flexible" blade and run this under the trim to seperate it from the body.

If you have done this correctly the majority of the glue will come away with the trim.

Then use a Caramel Wheel which attaches to a drill. This is basically a glue eraser and will take the rest of the glue off without having to use any of the harsh liquids which can damage the paint. The trick with the Caramel Wheel is to just move at a constant but slow pace.

Use a good polish to finish.

adrian
20th August 2011, 11:07 AM
surprised the eucalyptus won't do it, if it's a flat enough surface i'd be tempted to carefully try a razor blade