PDA

View Full Version : New product review section

AB
20th July 2013, 08:50 AM
Hi All,

Members have discussed the possibility of opening a dedicated product review forum (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?22093).

I have now created this for open and honest discussions and reviews on 4wd and camping related products.

Whilst their will be negative and bad reviews of products I do not want this to turn into a name and shame forum. However, if you have had genuine bad experiences with any products mentioned then you are obviously welcome to discuss your experiences, good or bad.

Enjoy!

Drewboyaus
20th July 2013, 12:05 PM
Hey AB,
To prevent it being a shit shovelling session, perhaps there needs to be a basic format that should to be followed much like any other magazine review format.
Also reckon the mods should check reviews b4 publishing. Not to censor as such but they need to be reviewed for objectiveness.
Don't really want things to turn into a shit canning session like that recent thread about ARB and OE leftovers.
Cheers,
Drew.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

04OFF
20th July 2013, 12:10 PM
I think this will be great if......

This is just strictly "products" only, and so we dont want to reading bagging stories about bad service recieved etc.

It is NOT open to "everything", keep it related to 4wd/camping etc.

I think you need to set out guidelines/template to help people write a review, such as....

Description (what its used for), build/construction quality, and brand of product.

How long have you owned the product.

How often do you use the product.

Where did you purchase , and how much did it cost.

What you like best, and what you like worst about the product.

How do you think it could be improved (if at all)

Do you think its value for money.

Rating out of 10 , and Would you recommend it to others.

my 2.5c :biggrin:

MEGOMONSTER
20th July 2013, 01:18 PM
Here's a few threads of mine that might fit this category.
First Autron gauges
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=11998

Second, DPchip and Taipan 3" exhaust
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=11588

threedogs
20th July 2013, 01:41 PM
Can only see it turning pear shaped,
Just product name and 1-10 rating
KIS

Winnie
20th July 2013, 01:47 PM
Can only see it turning pear shaped,
Just product name and 1-10 rating
KIS

So we should not justify reasoning at all? Bull crap!

Trying to use Motorculture

Cuppa
20th July 2013, 02:04 PM
You're a brave man AB.

Some folks may not realise that like it or not, AB, as the forum owner, can be held legally responsible for posts that manufacturers & sellers may consider defamatory.

If this thread is to remain & prosper it will need two things.

1. a very close eye kept on it by mods who are prepared to act very quickly, regardless of their personal viewpoint.
2 posts that very strictly refer ONLY to personal experience. i.e.. it is acceptable to say that "I bought XYZ & it failed the first time I used it" but it is NOT acceptable to say " I bought XYZ product & they are rubbish". The manufacturer of XYZ products could easily claim that the latter was defamatory & that the poster had the bad luck of getting a defective product, whilst generally there is no problem with their products.
If any post is allowed to remain on the forum for even short periods of time that a manufacturer considers defamatory , the manufacturer can sue AB for 'publishing' it. It is irrelevant (& potentially unreasonable) whether the defamatory statement is actually correct, it still places AB in a legal predicament.

So as long as this thread remains, keep posts to the personal experience only. Doing otherwise risks the loss of the forum. I have already been on one forum which had to close down for just this reason. I don't like it any more than the next person ...... but it's how it is.

Cuppa

growler2058
20th July 2013, 02:32 PM
LoKKa from 4wd systems goannawhere
Best traction product I've installed
Instruction were quite clear for a DIY project
To date I've had no failures and have given it a flogging (only standard TD42 power)
No change in steering or turning circle when in 2wd and nothing noteworthy when in 4wd
Minor driving modification needed when going hard and needing to turn (throttle control)
As with any diff lock care/caution as you will go a lot further up the track and possibly above you or your vehicles competency

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

AB
20th July 2013, 09:04 PM
You're a brave man AB.

Some folks may not realise that like it or not, AB, as the forum owner, can be held legally responsible for posts that manufacturers & sellers may consider defamatory.

1. a very close eye kept on it by mods who are prepared to act very quickly, regardless of their personal viewpoint.
2 posts that very strictly refer ONLY to personal experience. i.e.. it is acceptable to say that "I bought XYZ & it failed the first time I used it" but it is NOT acceptable to say " I bought XYZ product & they are rubbish". The manufacturer of XYZ products could easily claim that the latter was defamatory & that the poster had the bad luck of getting a defective product, whilst generally there is no problem with their products.
If any post is allowed to remain on the forum for even short periods of time that a manufacturer considers defamatory , the manufacturer can sue AB for 'publishing' it. It is irrelevant (& potentially unreasonable) whether the defamatory statement is actually correct, it still places AB in a legal predicament.

So as long as this thread remains, keep posts to the personal experience only. Doing otherwise risks the loss of the forum. I have already been on one forum which had to close down for just this reason. I don't like it any more than the next person ...... but it's how it is.

Cuppa

Thanks Cuppa, yes mate I'm very well aware of the legal ramifications involved and I'm not sure if I am brave or stupid to be honest...lol....I'm trusting the members in being honest and thoughtful of their actions but I have no regret in removing the entire forum, posts or threads if things get out of control to protect myself of course.

Please read Cuppa's post and my paragraph above if one of your posts/threads have been removed in due course.

Let's wait and see how members use this section and myself and the moderators will be keeping a vigilant watch over it no doubt to ensure it is kept respectful and genuine.

Interesting times ahead!

Clunk
20th July 2013, 09:22 PM
Does Motorculture count?

My folks went to the Google Play Store and all they got me was this lousy Motorculture App!!!!!!!

AB
20th July 2013, 09:29 PM
I would also like to think this forum could be a positive thing.

Ironman have been on here lately and have recently employed an online marketing person who proactively visits this forum and many others to keep on top of their feedback and what customers think of their products and or services.

Just the other day a disgruntled member mentioned their dissatisfied experienced with a certain branch of a company. Management jumped on this forum, explained the situation and how it all works, etc and was also proactive in fixing the problem.... I personally sat back on my chair and said....Well done, I have a lot more respect for that company now.

If you run a business then you should be open and willing to hear all kinds of feedback.

If you run a business and want it to succeed with the online world being so powerful then you should be proactive like this person has done and be all over it like a rash.

I'm happy to see how this unfolds.....It will be a good test to both businesses and to our members in how they conduct themselves.

A message to our members...Please ensure your comments are very well justified before you post anything and lets not look at this forum as a negative area to unleash your rants!

Growler above just posted how satisfied he was with a product. I have a Lokka too....Best thing I have ever done to my Patrol. I can crawl up anything now without needing to hit it hard in second gear to get momentum!

Rustyboner81
20th July 2013, 09:33 PM
I got a snorkel off them. The tubing was pretty average and didnt fit with my engine but.....
The rest of it was great. Template was good all other bits there and looks great.

I boycotted for a while but im pretty sure i'll be back :)

LocknLoad
20th August 2013, 10:06 AM
Nissan Patrol

Should I expect more from a car manufacturer?

I recently bought a new 2013 GU9 ST Patrol from a dealer in Perth. Firstly let me say I have been very happy with the dealer and I feel sorry for the rep who has been very helpful. Now for Nissan. This car was sold as a value pack and came fitted with Alloy Bull Bar, tow bar, floor mats, spot lights, sat nav. It was delivered to the dealer like this.

1. There are obvious scratches on the top flat surfaces of the bull bar. The dealer tried to polish them all out, missed a few, but will sort the rest on first service
2. There was a grease spot bout the size of a 20cent piece on the carpet of the rear passenger foot well. It was covered with the rear mat and only noticed it when I lifted the mat to vacuum it.
3. There was an 8cm crack in the shroud surrounding the centre console, likely occurred when installing the sat nav
4. Spot lights are dull. To me it looks like the reflectors are foggy, like moisture has got in or they are the wrong shape and don't reflect properly. Dealer workshop agrees there is something wrong with them.
5. There is a bubble, 20cent piece size, in the CRD sticker on the drivers door

Am I pedantic or am I right to expect better?

Thankyou Giant Nissan for your efforts to rectify these issues.

MEGOMONSTER
20th August 2013, 05:44 PM
Nissan Patrol

Should I expect more from a car manufacturer?

I recently bought a new 2013 GU9 ST Patrol from a dealer in Perth. Firstly let me say I have been very happy with the dealer and I feel sorry for the rep who has been very helpful. Now for Nissan. This car was sold as a value pack and came fitted with Alloy Bull Bar, tow bar, floor mats, spot lights, sat nav. It was delivered to the dealer like this.

1. There are obvious scratches on the top flat surfaces of the bull bar. The dealer tried to polish them all out, missed a few, but will sort the rest on first service
2. There was a grease spot bout the size of a 20cent piece on the carpet of the rear passenger foot well. It was covered with the rear mat and only noticed it when I lifted the mat to vacuum it.
3. There was an 8cm crack in the shroud surrounding the centre console, likely occurred when installing the sat nav
4. Spot lights are dull. To me it looks like the reflectors are foggy, like moisture has got in or they are the wrong shape and don't reflect properly. Dealer workshop agrees there is something wrong with them.
5. There is a bubble, 20cent piece size, in the CRD sticker on the drivers door

Am I pedantic or am I right to expect better?

Thankyou Giant Nissan for your efforts to rectify these issues.

Stick it to em, make em fix the lot.

Drewboyaus
20th August 2013, 07:26 PM
I love my Nissan Patrol but having just recently had a behind the scenes tour of the Toyota factory here in Melbourne there is zero chance a Toyota would have turned up in that condition.
If it did, heads would have rolled AND you would have a new car, I kid you not. Their pursuit of quality and finish is extraordinary.
They wreck complete body shells if the paint finish is not up to spec.

taslucas
20th August 2013, 07:38 PM
I love my Nissan Patrol but having just recently had a behind the scenes tour of the Toyota factory here in Melbourne there is zero chance a Toyota would have turned up in that condition.
If it did, heads would have rolled AND you would have a new car, I kid you not. Their pursuit of quality and finish is extraordinary.
They wreck complete body shells if the paint finish is not up to spec.

and having a brother that worked at a toyota dealership for 10 years i can say that while the company do endeavour to put quality first, its not as perfect as you say. Albeit the issues were branch management not from the big guys.
PM for more info to not make this a name and shame.

Drewboyaus
20th August 2013, 07:46 PM
and having a brother that worked at a toyota dealership for 10 years i can say that while the company do endeavour to put quality first, its not as perfect as you say. Albeit the issues were branch management not from the big guys.
PM for more info to not make this a name and shame.

I can't speak for the dealers as they are privately owned and run businesses that have very little to do with Toyota Motor Corporation other than selling their cars.

paulyg
2nd September 2013, 05:47 PM
I hope this doesn't become a can of worms.

AB
2nd September 2013, 08:15 PM
So far It's been ok mate and as always it will be heavily moderated so no businesses get flammed by an uncalled for rant.

taslucas
2nd September 2013, 09:10 PM
I bought a patrol and i couldnt be happier with how awesome it is:)

Clunk
2nd September 2013, 09:14 PM
I bought a patrol and i couldnt be happier with how awesome it is:)

That's because you have a GQ mate, of course you couldn't be happier

liftlid
4th September 2013, 04:27 PM
Here's something to review direct from ALDI

lorrieandjas
4th September 2013, 04:31 PM
You're a brave man AB.

Cuppa

Hey Cuppa,

Sorry mate - been off this forum for a while but further to the issue is the fact that in active moderation (ie the post is quarantined until the moderator approves it) also opens the door for the moderator to be held liable as well. There are ways around it of course. But something to be mindful of.

Jas

NissanGQ4.2
4th September 2013, 04:42 PM
Lucky I'm not a moderator :)

NP99
10th September 2013, 06:48 AM
Here's something to review direct from ALDI

What did they cost and where are they made?

liftlid
10th September 2013, 07:58 AM
What did they cost and where are they made?

I knew somebody would ask that!
I didn't think to look

Ironman 4x4
12th September 2013, 10:59 AM
I would also like to think this forum could be a positive thing.

Ironman have been on here lately and have recently employed an online marketing person who proactively visits this forum and many others to keep on top of their feedback and what customers think of their products and or services.

Just the other day a disgruntled member mentioned their dissatisfied experienced with a certain branch of a company. Management jumped on this forum, explained the situation and how it all works, etc and was also proactive in fixing the problem.... I personally sat back on my chair and said....Well done, I have a lot more respect for that company now.

If you run a business then you should be open and willing to hear all kinds of feedback.

If you run a business and want it to succeed with the online world being so powerful then you should be proactive like this person has done and be all over it like a rash.

I'm happy to see how this unfolds.....It will be a good test to both businesses and to our members in how they conduct themselves.

A message to our members...Please ensure your comments are very well justified before you post anything and lets not look at this forum as a negative area to unleash your rants!

Growler above just posted how satisfied he was with a product. I have a Lokka too....Best thing I have ever done to my Patrol. I can crawl up anything now without needing to hit it hard in second gear to get momentum!

Great to hear that you're setting up a channel for measured and considered reviews. I think it will be a great opportunity to really create a resource and single location to find relevant information and reviews of products.

Let me know if I can be of any help on here :D

Frontbumfab
12th September 2013, 11:26 AM
This is running 2inch iron man spring and shock. They work great and take a punishing. Havnt found a fault yet!

Ironman 4x4
12th September 2013, 11:29 AM
This is running 2inch iron man spring and shock. They work great and take a punishing. Havnt found a fault yet!

I think I just drooled a little on my keyboard!

Frontbumfab
12th September 2013, 11:41 AM
Haha shes a good old pig. Other mods are bolt out of radius armfor mad flex and a welded front diff. And there 39.5x18s on 15x12s :D:D:D

Rustyboner81
13th September 2013, 12:38 PM

Damn cut gaurds are mean lookin!:thumbup:

Rustyboner81
13th September 2013, 12:39 PM
Haha shes a good old pig. Other mods are bolt out of radius armfor mad flex and a welded front diff. And there 39.5x18s on 15x12s :D:D:D

Gotta be 4.2td

Frontbumfab
13th September 2013, 11:20 PM
Gotta be 4.2td

Haha nah mate tb42 carby. Pod filter out the bonnet now and has a chopped drivers door. Standard gearing to hahah. No such thing as low range

Frontbumfab
13th September 2013, 11:23 PM

TPC
13th September 2013, 11:33 PM
Do you take that beast on the road?

Winnie
14th September 2013, 08:13 AM
I have seen people with cut doors like that, what is the purpose for it? Easier to jump in and out in situations where you can't open the door?

liftlid
14th September 2013, 09:17 AM
I have seen people with cut doors like that, what is the purpose for it? Easier to jump in and out in situations where you can't open the door?

So you can see better out the door

Frontbumfab
14th September 2013, 09:33 AM
Nah mate no road driving. Out our back gate straight into good tracks. Yeah when climbing you can really see over bonnet so leaning out atleast you can see abit. Deoends if the navvy helps or not haha. Had it on massive angle and hasnt fell over yet.

Frontbumfab
14th September 2013, 09:38 AM

VK2FMIA
17th December 2016, 12:57 PM

I had been tempted to buy one of these cameras for a while. The one that I had been using worked ok but the vision wasn't as clear as I wanted. Luckily a mate bought one for himself & decided to get me one as an early christmas present.

First impressions were good, the unit is a nice size for mounting out of the way on the windscreen. A separate GPS unit mounts to the glass with 3M double sided tape & acts as a holder for the camera. Once the camera is on the windscreen there is no left to right adjustment, only up & down.

GPS unit attached to the windscreen.

The whole unit mounted on the windscreen below rear vision mirror.

A long power cord is supplied & is fitted with a cigarette plug on one end & a mini USB at the other. The Camera automatically turns on & starts recording when the engine is started.

Vision is stored on a mini SD card, up to a 64 Gig card can be used. At the highest recording quality it uses around 500 megabytes per 5 minutes of recording. Recordings can be made for 5,3 or 1 minute intervals & will record over the oldest files once the card is full. Files can be locked so they are saved for later.

The quality of the video is impressive at 1920 x 1080 & 1278 X 720, nice clear image, have yet to try it at lower resolutions. the camera can also take still photos. Your name, the date, speed & GPS co-ordinates can be displayed on the video.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/191.jpg
Screenshot from video footage.

The unit has an inbuilt G sensor & can also be used as a parking camera & will automatically start recording if the vehicle is bumped.

Thats about where the good news ends.

The GPS unit is useless. Out of all the tracks I have recorded not one has been accurate. It takes a good 5 minutes for the unit to get a lock when it is first turned on & then seems to loose signal after a while, the track jumps all over the place. This happens with my mates camera as well. If you need to record a track I`d avise using a reliable GPS instead of this camera.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/192.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/193.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/194.jpg
Some of the recorded GPS tracks. As you can see, not very accurate!.

The 1 inch screen is only good for lining up the camera. The writing is so small I needed to use a magnifier to see it. This applies to the menu display as well.

There is no internal battery, so if it is not used for a couple of days the time, date, etc has to be re-entered. You cannot take the camera out of the vehicle to use.

The main selling point of this unit is it`s ability to record vision & GPS track at the same time. As it does not record the GPS track accurately it is only doing half the job it is supposed to do. May as well just buy a decent action camera instead.

I`m glad I did not purchase this camera as it does not live up to expectations. As a dashcam it works a treat, but as a a GPS unit it fails miserably.