PDA

View Full Version : Question on winches

MEGOMONSTER
19th July 2013, 08:07 PM
New stupid question time.
In regards to winches, types and sizes.
I hear people say things like high mount winches, (what does this mean).
As a beginner, I assume a "normal" winch would suffice.
Secondly, the sizes, 9000,9500,10000,12000lb winches.
What are we all using.
Will a Warn magnum 9500lb winch be sufficient at just over $1k.
Or would a 12000lb winch be a better option.
Having never had a winch or used one for that matter, apart from my boat trailer hand winch.

I am now having a real thought of purchasing a SMITTYBILT 10000lb X20 rope winch at $875, as their 12000lb only come with cable.
The Smittybilt winch is a FULLY sealed waterproof, submersible winch. And from what I have read so far, water ingress is the biggest killer of a winch.
http://www.smittybilt.com/xrc_winches.htm

Or Runva have a special on now, on winches.
In which they have a 12000 lb winch with rope for $699.
http://www.runvawinch.com.au/
Both have limited lifetime warranties.

What is your own choice of winch and what size.
I don't want to buy it twice, but don't want to spend 3k on a top line Warn.

Your advise and knowledge is appreciated.

NissanGQ4.2
19th July 2013, 08:20 PM
Mave have started a new thread for your question and moved it to here Mick

Cheers

Toddie

YNOT
19th July 2013, 08:28 PM
High mount winch refers to the motor being mounted above the cable spool, not all bull bars can accomodate this style of winch.
Low mount (often refereed to as "slow mount" due to lower cable speed) has the motor in line with the cable spool.

If you've never had use for a winch before I wouldn't over do it with the capacity, the 9500lb winch will be more than adequate for 99% of situations.

MudRunnerTD
19th July 2013, 09:44 PM
New stupid question time.
In regards to winches, types and sizes.
I hear people say things like high mount winches, (what does this mean).
As a beginner, I assume a "normal" winch would suffice.
Secondly, the sizes, 9000,9500,10000,12000lb winches.
What are we all using.
Will a Warn magnum 9500lb winch be sufficient at just over $1k.
Or would a 12000lb winch be a better option.
Having never had a winch or used one for that matter, apart from my boat trailer hand winch.

I am now having a real thought of purchasing a SMITTYBILT 10000lb X20 rope winch at $875, as their 12000lb only come with cable.
The Smittybilt winch is a FULLY sealed waterproof, submersible winch. And from what I have read so far, water ingress is the biggest killer of a winch.
http://www.smittybilt.com/xrc_winches.htm

Or Runva have a special on now, on winches.
In which they have a 12000 lb winch with rope for $699.
http://www.runvawinch.com.au/
Both have limited lifetime warranties.

What is your own choice of winch and what size.
I don't want to buy it twice, but don't want to spend 3k on a top line Warn.

Your advise and knowledge is appreciated.

Hey Mick,

Mate I would happily fit either of those winches to the front of the GUIV. Without hesitation.

They have similar ratios, but the Runva has a 7.2hp motor over the 5.4hp motor of the smitty.

The Runva would probably get my money on that alone. Also I have never read a bad review about the Runva winches and was actually going to fit one to my GUiV before getting a great deal on the Super Winch.

Remember the winch ratings are in Pounds not kgs which is crap to the Aussie market but oh we'll.

Nissan fit a 9000 winch from Warn from factory. It has a 4.6hp motor on it. The only warn to run a 6hp motor is the XP9.5 and you will pay big bucks for one. The motor off these are a good upgrade for hi mount winches and most guys do this upgrade.

The hi mount is popular because of its line speed under load. Much faster.

The bigger the winch capacity the slower it will generally pull. So a 9k winch will pull faster than a 12k winch but to be honest...... Who really cares!

If I was you I'd grab a 10k to 12k winch for the front, this gives you a little up your sleeve if you still have the boat hooked on. A slow line speed also gives you plenty of time to think about it and monitor the extraction.

I run a modified hi mount as per the pic from Ynot on the GQ and often go for a double line pull which slows things down any way ;)

Go that Runva and you won't have any regrets mate.

oddkid82
19th July 2013, 09:54 PM
I have the new warn tabour 10000 pound. It works well.
They are selling them at auto barn for $1000? Think its a good price for a warn

threedogs
20th July 2013, 06:15 PM
10,000 lbs for Patrols . to mount the Hi- Mount, a part of your grill will need to be removed
Unless you're planning putting the black beast into comps, you 'll have no need for the hi mount.
Always wear gloves , and keep fingers clear of fairlead. Winches have a habit biting off fingers
30 mtrs of 19mm plasma style Rope

@ MEGO have you looked into hydraulic winches
No battery no winch, with hydraulic as long as motor running you have pulling power.
PTO are better again but not suited to the modern 4x4
Do you really need one as most just sit there sometimes years at a time doing nothing
Could be money spent else where like a front locker

Cuppa
20th July 2013, 07:42 PM
What is the weight difference between a 9000lb & 12000lb winch? Should this be part of the decision making?

Cuppa

MudRunnerTD
20th July 2013, 08:05 PM
What is the weight difference between a 9000lb & 12000lb winch? Should this be part of the decision making?

Cuppa

There will be a slight difference Cuppa but if your going Plasma Rope then it will be neglishable.

Another point for a 12k winch over a 9k winch on a Patrol is witha 12k winch your less likely to need to think about a Double Line pull which can get complicated for people new to winching techniques.

A 12k which will do a single line pull in a Patrol out of most situations without too much fuss.

Punderhead
20th July 2013, 10:09 PM
I know it shouldn't have to be said, but whatever you do, no matter what mood your in, or how long you have been bogged, always think safety. Use a damper, and keep bystanders well and truly clear.
I had a mate put a roll of cable through his windscreen last night. He knows the rules but had been bogged for 3 hours, moving from tree to tree, and got complacent. Luckily no one was hurt! (I wasn't there had to work) he had just stuck his head out the window for abetted look when it happened. 2 seconds earlier or later and he wouldn't be here.

Please just. Keep this in mind

Cheers

MEGOMONSTER
20th July 2013, 10:35 PM
I know it shouldn't have to be said, but whatever you do, no matter what mood your in, or how long you have been bogged, always think safety. Use a damper, and keep bystanders well and truly clear.
I had a mate put a roll of cable through his windscreen last night. He knows the rules but had been bogged for 3 hours, moving from tree to tree, and got complacent. Luckily no one was hurt! (I wasn't there had to work) he had just stuck his head out the window for abetted look when it happened. 2 seconds earlier or later and he wouldn't be here.

Please just. Keep this in mind

Cheers

Thanks, and I understand the dangers and easily things can go wrong.
But at this stage I am just looking at getting a winch first before I look at recoveries.

I am still torn between the fully sealed submersible Smittybilt but only 10k or 12k Runva with more Hp

MudRunnerTD
20th July 2013, 10:53 PM
Thanks, and I understand the dangers and easily things can go wrong.
But at this stage I am just looking at getting a winch first before I look at recoveries.

I am still torn between the fully sealed submersible Smittybilt but only 10k or 12k Runva with more Hp

The link below says that the Runva is "extremely water tight with heavy duty seals"

http://www.runvawinch.com.au/winches/4wd-electric/ewx12000/

MEGOMONSTER
20th July 2013, 11:04 PM
The link below says that the Runva is "extremely water tight with heavy duty seals"

http://www.runvawinch.com.au/winches/4wd-electric/ewx12000/

Thanks. I did read this thoroughly.
But now on the new extremely low price. At the last 4x4 show I was quoted $850 for the show price normally more.
Why so cheap, are they trying to run the stock out, for newer better model.
Cos this model had been around for a while.
The shape of the Runva look very similar to some of the really cheap winches you find around.
At $699 seems extremely good value for money, on a good product with a good reputation.
But I'd hate to buy it, only to find out a new model coming soon.

TPC
20th July 2013, 11:41 PM
Thanks. I did read this thoroughly.
But now on the new extremely low price. At the last 4x4 show I was quoted $850 for the show price normally more.
Why so cheap, are they trying to run the stock out, for newer better model.
Cos this model had been around for a while.
The shape of the Runva look very similar to some of the really cheap winches you find around.
At $699 seems extremely good value for money, on a good product with a good reputation.
But I'd hate to buy it, only to find out a new model coming soon.

They have been that price for several months and I have been considering buying one myself.
Does it matter if they are going to bring out a new model if this one does the job and is a good price.

Would like to here from someone that has bought one though.

MEGOMONSTER
22nd July 2013, 12:48 AM
I am still looking at all the options.
Definitely looks the part, and still in the price range.

BigRAWesty
22nd July 2013, 12:54 AM
What about Scotty's from GSC?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

MEGOMONSTER
22nd July 2013, 01:08 AM

Sent him a PM.
I'd be interested to see what he has to offer.
He really needs his website to be in full swing.

BigRAWesty
22nd July 2013, 01:52 AM
Yep, hopefully soon

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

TPC
22nd July 2013, 10:15 AM

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

I didn't know he sold one.

brw1994
22nd July 2013, 08:39 PM
I would hang away from the Ironman Mego, I am about to post between 2 Runva winches because I myself am not sure what I want, however stick to the Runvas mate, they are great and have never heard of a problem with the winches or how well they back their warrantys

MEGOMONSTER
22nd July 2013, 08:48 PM
I would hang away from the Ironman Mego, I am about to post between 2 Runva winches because I myself am not sure what I want, however stick to the Runvas mate, they are great and have never heard of a problem with the winches or how well they back their warrantys

For $699 12k rope winch is pretty hard to go past.
However they are still a Chinese built winch. Not that there's anything wrong with that. They offer a limited lifetime warranty.

Drewboyaus
22nd July 2013, 10:10 PM
For $699 12k rope winch is pretty hard to go past.
However they are still a Chinese built winch. Not that there's anything wrong with that. They offer a limited lifetime warranty.

Remember it's not about being Chinese built, it's about the QC of the company selling them. Would I buy a Chinese built winch from someone on eBay relatively untried, I think not. Would I buy a Runva, or a Mean Mother, or an Avenger, yep. Especially if the winch is built to their design.
I have just picked up a 15 yr old Superwinch like the one Daz runs for free in another deal. I'm spending a couple of hunge refurbishing it and by the looks if it it'll still be pulling long after my GQ has bitten the dust. So I wouldn't worry if its the latest model or not if I were you.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

MEGOMONSTER
22nd July 2013, 11:09 PM
I think the winner will be the Runva EWX12000lb rope winch at $699.
Just like the research side of things. Healthy to learn a bit on the way.

MEGOMONSTER
23rd July 2013, 04:17 PM
I think the winner will be the Runva EWX12000lb rope winch at $699.
Just like the research side of things. Healthy to learn a bit on the way.

Picked it up for $650 with free delivery.

TPC
23rd July 2013, 04:54 PM
Picked it up for $650 with free delivery.

Will be interested to hear how you go with it.
Where did you buy it?

MEGOMONSTER
23rd July 2013, 04:59 PM
Will be interested to hear how you go with it.
Where did you buy it?

Fleabay, seller is Tough4x4.
http://bit.ly/19eZ8hq

MEGOMONSTER
23rd July 2013, 10:04 PM
Now that I've bought it, have to wait for the bar to be fitted up. More importantly paid off.
I'm gonna need some volunteers to show me how to use the thing.
Hopefully how to use it correctly. But that's gonna but months away.

trekster
23rd July 2013, 10:06 PM
Hopefully how to use it correctly. But that's gonna but months away.

Easy as pie mate,

Pull cable out, attach to nearest bogged toyota, Spool in, Enjoy the lols. :D

MEGOMONSTER
23rd July 2013, 10:11 PM
Easy as pie mate,

Pull cable out, attach to nearest bogged toyota, Spool in, Enjoy the lols. :D

Do I wrap the rope around his tie ball.

MEGOMONSTER
23rd July 2013, 10:12 PM
Joke people joke. Ha ha.

trekster
24th July 2013, 05:45 AM
Do I wrap the rope around his tie ball.

His tie balls might be a might small, try wrapping it around his neck first for stupidity of driving a toyota

:smileyvault-cute-bi

MEGOMONSTER
7th September 2013, 05:32 PM
I thought I would ask the question in regards to my little recovery kit given to me as a gift.
Comes in small carry bag.
I have the following bits in it (so far)
- the E-Z tyre deflator
- also a tyre gauge with tread depth
- two pairs of gloves
- 8000kg snatch strap
- tow hitch recovery 4.75T bow shackle
- 2 x 3.25T bow shackles
- 6000kg equaliser strap x 2 ( one is used to pull logs back to camp)

Plus still require a 9000kg snatch block
And a winch rope dampener
And a tree trunk protector.
Then I'll need a bloody bigger bag.

Can you suggest anything else I may have on board, even if its a "just in case" scenario.

Drewboyaus
7th September 2013, 06:22 PM
Pretty much got it covered.
Maybe a winch extension strap.......
Then we've gotta get you out and using it!

MEGOMONSTER
7th September 2013, 06:34 PM
Then we've gotta get you out and using it!

I know, I know, god damn it.

nipagu7
7th September 2013, 06:44 PM
hi guys .
I bought the runva 11000 xp . I think it will be the only runva that will fit as I only have 27mm of clearance between the winch motor and the chassis . I have a 2011 gu7 with arb steel bar . I checked the specs for the other runva's but the motors were longer and not able to be fitted to my car .

MudRunnerTD
7th September 2013, 06:57 PM
Hey Mego your kit looks good mate and drew has called well on a winch extension strap, the bigger the better.

I would also recommend keeping your snatch strap in a small bag by itself as it is likely to be used more often and you don't have to sig it out of your bigger kit. When out and about mine lives on the floor in the front left under the Navis legs.

My winch gear lives in the footwell behind the front passenger seat in easy reach. When you need it it is likely that you are situated precariously and need to hold the brakes on Hard and need to reach it and hand it out the window. If in a Bog Hole(don't do it) you also need to hand it out the window so keep it close.

MEGOMONSTER
7th September 2013, 07:52 PM
Hey Mego your kit looks good mate and drew has called well on a winch extension strap, the bigger the better.

I would also recommend keeping your snatch strap in a small bag by itself as it is likely to be used more often and you don't have to sig it out of your bigger kit. When out and about mine lives on the floor in the front left under the Navis legs.

My winch gear lives in the footwell behind the front passenger seat in easy reach. When you need it it is likely that you are situated precariously and need to hold the brakes on Hard and need to reach it and hand it out the window. If in a Bog Hole(don't do it) you also need to hand it out the window so keep it close.

Thanks, great points.

MEGOMONSTER
7th September 2013, 07:53 PM
hi guys .
I bought the runva 11000 xp . I think it will be the only runva that will fit as I only have 27mm of clearance between the winch motor and the chassis . I have a 2011 gu7 with arb steel bar . I checked the specs for the other runva's but the motors were longer and not able to be fitted to my car .

Don't tell me that. I got a GU8 and a Runva EWX12000 waiting to get fitted up to am ARB winch bar.

nipagu7
7th September 2013, 08:12 PM
that was the winch I was originally going 4 megomonster . If you get on the runva website you will find the sizes for all the winches , just click on the individual winches and scroll down . the 12000 is about 12mm to long .

MEGOMONSTER
7th September 2013, 10:13 PM
that was the winch I was originally going 4 megomonster . If you get on the runva website you will find the sizes for all the winches , just click on the individual winches and scroll down . the 12000 is about 12mm to long .

And specifically ask them if it will fit and said yes.

MEGOMONSTER
10th September 2013, 06:29 AM
Went to ARB yesterday to find out if the Runva winch would fit their winch bar and couldn't agree if it would or wouldn't.
Because the motor is quite long and the mounting point is off centre pushes the winch over extremely close to the bar mount and mounting point.
I call Runva to see what they say and all I got was a message bank and no return phone call. Pissed off about that. I hate with a passion any business not picking up the phone or getting a return call quickly.

MEGOMONSTER
11th September 2013, 05:30 AM
hi guys .

I can tell you now that the Runva EWX12000 will fit on an ARB deluxe steel winch bar.

MEGOMONSTER
18th September 2013, 09:11 PM
Proof in the pudding.

MudRunnerTD
18th September 2013, 09:21 PM
Proof in the pudding.

Surprised you went steel wire rope Mick, make sure you consider that when you organise your front springs when you do the lift mate. There is an extra 15kgs probably in that wire rope. Also make sure you buy at least 1 winch dampened, 2 would be better.

Drewboyaus
18th September 2013, 09:35 PM
Surprised you went steel wire rope Mick, make sure you consider that when you organise your front springs when you do the lift mate. There is an extra 15kgs probably in that wire rope. Also make sure you buy at least 1 winch dampened, 2 would be better.

I thought you went for the Dyneema......

MEGOMONSTER
18th September 2013, 09:53 PM

I did go dyneema but the spastics sent me a wire winch with the rope and hawse separate. They still need to change it over.
So I'll have a cable for sale soon.
ARB are giving me a dampener.