PDA

View Full Version : Oil leaking out of filler cap and breather

bexi
3rd January 2011, 11:03 PM
Hi all,

I have just bought a 1993 Maverick last week (GQ patrol) with 4.2L NA diesel motor.

I had a similar one a few years back with aftermarket turbo on it and am planning on eventually putting turbo on this one too.

I've noticed after doing a couple of hundred kms, i open the bonnet and there is oil seeping out from the oil filler cap on the valve cover and also leaking out somewhere arounf the breather at the rear of the valve cover.

Is this going to be happening because i have some seriously bad blow by? The filler cap rubber that seals on the valve cpver seems to be in ok condition.

any help much appreciated, thanks
Bexi

Finly Owner
3rd January 2011, 11:47 PM
Bexi, we do have a protocol on the forum, you are asked to go to introductions and tell us a bit about yourself and your truck, and then you'll get an influx of responses helping you with your problem.

Thanks Tim

YNOT
4th January 2011, 06:02 AM
How many Km's has the car done?
Check the PCV system and make sure there are no blockages any where. To get an idea of how much blow by there is just take the oil filler cap off with the engine idling. If it blows the cap out of your hand and blows out A LOT of vapour then you have a problem.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the car and what condition is it in? GQ TD42 is a sought after model.

Tony

bexi
4th January 2011, 06:09 AM
It has only done 245k ... I got it for 5k. Pretty good deal I think as it's in good condition and has no rust.

YNOT
4th January 2011, 06:12 AM
That's a great deal. At 245k the engine should still be in really good condition as long as it's been serviced regularly.
Can we see some photo's of it?

Tony

bexi
5th September 2011, 08:17 PM
hey all... thought i should updat this thread and let you all know that there was no issues with anything in my engine... i has to trim the length of the thread on the oil filler cap with a hacksaw so that the Oring could seal and stop oil leaking and the breather was leaking because of an old hose that was no sealing nicely! easy!