PDA

View Full Version : Snow drive Blue Mountains

Waka
19th July 2013, 12:01 PM
The forecast this weekend is for snow in the mountains so I've rallied the troups for a bit of snow action. Anyone else heading up there?

Steve4wdin
19th July 2013, 03:10 PM
Where about, and when are you going?

NissanGQ4.2
19th July 2013, 03:31 PM
Damn......... would love to but have plans I can't get out of this weekend :(

Yep suppose to be a very cold this weekend :(:(:(

Stropp
19th July 2013, 04:14 PM
wait for me, im just leaving now and should be there next week :), would love to do that sometime but no chance of that over here.

NissanGQ4.2
19th July 2013, 04:49 PM
wait for me, im just leaving now and should be there next week :), would love to do that sometime but no chance of that over here.

If you headed up this way feel free to drop in for a beer or 2, just PM me and I'll send you my addy

Have a safe trip

Waka
19th July 2013, 07:31 PM
The plan is to have a rap around lake Lyell and the mount Walker area...can't think of the name of the Nat park...and keep an eye on the weather radar and weather zone forum for snow shower updates. shooters Hill is the most likely spot for a good dump if snow. Sunday

Hopefully better than last year.

Woof
19th July 2013, 07:48 PM
Lake Lyell, now that brings back memories..............nothing like putting around the lake with a line out the back and an esky full of beer, ah those were the days.

firm351
19th July 2013, 11:56 PM
Hey dogman the good old days. I've spent many a day skiing, fishing and drinking on lake Lyell. I originally come from Wallerawang are you from over that way mate?

Waka it's been a few years so might have changed a bit but we used to camp on the river not far from the bottom of the mt walker track pretty awesome camp spot big open area with on giant tree for shade. If you cross the river just upstream from there and head towards the pines of the lidsdale state forest there are some really good tracks to try out around the back of the pine forest. I think the pines have all been cut down recently so the tracks may have changed a bit in 10 years since I've been through there.
Around Hampton is always good for snow.

Waka
20th July 2013, 08:39 AM
Hey dogman the good old days. I've spent many a day skiing, fishing and drinking on lake Lyell. I originally come from Wallerawang are you from over that way mate?

Waka it's been a few years so might have changed a bit but we used to camp on the river not far from the bottom of the mt walker track pretty awesome camp spot big open area with on giant tree for shade. If you cross the river just upstream from there and head towards the pines of the lidsdale state forest there are some really good tracks to try out around the back of the pine forest. I think the pines have all been cut down recently so the tracks may have changed a bit in 10 years since I've been through there.

Thanks mate. I was up there a couple of weeks ago looking around for good future trout fishing spots and camp sites for spring. There's a great maze of tracks and some very nice river crossings too. It was freezing up there a couple of weeks ago and there's no way I'd be camping up there this weekend!

I'll let you know how we go.

Steve4wdin
20th July 2013, 08:40 AM
Dam it. I have to take my 2 out of control Staffies to " Puppy School" on Sunday or I will be in the dog house.

NissanGQ4.2
20th July 2013, 11:12 AM
Well its just started to shower here in the lower BM, temp about 14 deg, bit of wind and a nice chill to the air looks like a clear patch is heading this way from further up the mountains :)

Have a safe trip Wakka, hope there is plenty of snow around for you, plenty of pics please :)

firm351
20th July 2013, 11:03 PM
Thanks mate. I was up there a couple of weeks ago looking around for good future trout fishing spots and camp sites for spring. There's a great maze of tracks and some very nice river crossings too. It was freezing up there a couple of weeks ago and there's no way I'd be camping up there this weekend!

I'll let you know how we go.

C'mon mate where's you sense of adventure lol that's why they invented bundy, to ward off the wickedest of chills.

That camp site I mentioned in my earlier post is a good spot for trout good access to the river banks and you can walk along the river spinning or with a fly rod pretty easily. Pretty much any where along the river down to the dam you will have a good chance of a fish or two and plenty of camp spots. Also around Tarana there is some good fishing and a good pub for a few cold ones.

I'm heading over there in December looking forward to checking some of my old haunts.

Woof
21st July 2013, 06:39 PM

Yeah mate, lived in Bathurst for about 22 years before seeing the light and moving over here.
Spent a lot of time fishing (well that was the excuse) at all the dams, rivers & streams around that area.

Waka
22nd July 2013, 12:48 PM
No snow but some great tracks and river crossings. We had a friend of a friend join us in a brand spanking new ford ranger, I was impressed how well it went considering it was stock. The only shortcomings were clearance, approach and departure angles but other than that it drive all but one track and even then we were only concerned he'd rip the front spoiler off. A few mods and decent tyres they'd be a weapon off road.

Kids had fun as usual.

rusty_nail
22nd July 2013, 01:05 PM
looks nice! id be keen to come next time for sure if your interested?

Waka
22nd July 2013, 04:48 PM
It's Long way from inside the dome Rusty, you might need to do an overnighter from the shire mate.

It will be a while before we go back there but I'll let you know.

Waka