PDA

View Full Version : Quick transfer case question

Parksy
18th July 2013, 09:56 PM
Hi all

Do the internals of the transfer case rotate while in 2wd? I am just wondering how the rear driveshaft bearing gets any lubrication if only driven in 2wd.

Andy

Rustyboner81
19th July 2013, 12:37 AM
Hmmm dunno.
It would have to be connected wouldnt it, just the gears would free spin in neutral untill 4wd was selected???

Good question

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Motorculture mobile app

krbrooking
19th July 2013, 01:12 AM
As far as I understand it. It would be the same as the gearbox when in neutral the shaft would spin which in turn would lubricate everything, just the gears would not be engaged. Could be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

BigRAWesty
19th July 2013, 05:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1qj8dHTmP4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my C6603 using Motorculture mobile app

Parksy
19th July 2013, 08:54 AM
Thanks guys. I have a good understanding of how it works now westy :), but doesn't really explain how it's lubed. Here's a vid of a gu box that's been opened up,
Unfortunately he only runs it in 4wd, so its hard to see how it would get lubed in 2wd. I'm assuming the chain is used to splash the lube around being the front wheel driveshaft gear sits in the oil bath.
http://youtu.be/ReqaGtW0SSE

taslucas
19th July 2013, 12:32 PM
It's often said to put a vehicle into 4wd occasionaly to lubricate everything

Parksy
19th July 2013, 01:11 PM
I have heard that taslucus and it is good practice to regularly run it in 4wd as a preventative, but I do find it hard to believe that something as vital as an output bearing would rely on this, especially if doing alot of highway driving. 10 mins of highway driving and the bearing would be red hot and dry as a bone.

taslucas
19th July 2013, 02:32 PM
It obviously doesn't hurt it, as it's not too common for the bearing to go

Parksy
20th July 2013, 12:33 PM
That's true. I've heard that ATF is recommended if you have auto locking hubs. Apparently heavier fluids can cause the front driveshaft to spin and inadvertently lock the hubs.

mudnut
20th July 2013, 05:32 PM
Yeah, the transfer case in a 94 is recommended to run ATF. I replaced the fluid as the old stuff was totally had it and the transfer case was making clanging noises when pulling up in low gears. Two mechanics told me it was a stuffed diff, which I replaced. The clanging has diminished, with the new fluid, but is still there, so I was thinking of changing to a light gear box oil. I only have manual hubs, so I will have to live with the front diff rotating until the transfer case warms and thins the oil.

Clunk
20th July 2013, 06:19 PM
Need to change my fluid too but it's a bit difficult to know what to use in my 94 gq...... Manual says to use the Nissan dmatic ATF, other folk have suggested using nothing other than 85-90w.......... Very very confusing indeed

My folks went to the Google Play Store and all they got me was this lousy Motorculture App!!!!!!!

mudnut
20th July 2013, 06:26 PM
Is it making noises at all? The fluid in mine was almost black and ran out like water. I'm glad it takes under two litres so it isn't too expensive.

Clunk
20th July 2013, 06:44 PM
Is it making noises at all? The fluid in mine was almost black and ran out like water. I'm glad it takes under two litres so it isn't too expensive.

No noises but there us a slight grumble that I can feel vibrate through the floor when moving off at slow speeds.......... Have changed diff oils several times but is still there. It's there no matter if I'm in 2h, 4h or 4l.

My folks went to the Google Play Store and all they got me was this lousy Motorculture App!!!!!!!

mudnut
20th July 2013, 06:52 PM
I think that grumble comes free with every older Patrol, doesn't it?

Clunk
20th July 2013, 07:09 PM
I think that grumble comes free with every older Patrol, doesn't it?

I thought it was my missus at first but then she stopped talking

Parksy
20th July 2013, 10:32 PM
Has anyone pulled apart a patrol transfer case? I tried doing some digging, and found an article of someone doing a transfer case rebuild, unfortunately it's not a patrol box. But internally, it has an oil pump with what looks like a pick up tube.
http://www.euro4x4parts.com/en/mechanics_cap_transfer.html

Clunk
20th July 2013, 10:50 PM
Some light reading for later me thinks lol

Rustyboner81
20th July 2013, 10:51 PM
Clunk give 'perth gearbox differential and clutch center' in belmont.

They do a lot of 4by work and always happy to answer any questions i have for them.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Motorculture mobile app

Clunk
20th July 2013, 10:53 PM
Thanks Russ

Bundu
23rd July 2013, 04:18 AM
Has anyone pulled apart a patrol transfer case? I tried doing some digging, and found an article of someone doing a transfer case rebuild, unfortunately it's not a patrol box. But internally, it has an oil pump with what looks like a pick up tube.
http://www.euro4x4parts.com/en/mechanics_cap_transfer.html

Im bussy to work on mine. Currently mine is on the bench in several pieces. I took it out after I heard a tok,tok,tok sound. Thought it was a bearing at the rear end, so I started to work my way towards the front. Found one of two problems, not a bearing though, a broken tooth on a gear and the part worked its way in between other gears. This caused damage to the gears and needs to be replaced. The other problem is again slightly back. A gear that when spun by hand makes a crcrcrrrrr sound. Dont know how to deal with that one.

Bundu
23rd July 2013, 04:21 AM
Well, I'm 23 posts away from the online manual. Stuck in between and the box will sit and gather dust. Hopefully I can get that FSM from the South African Patrol forum just before the box disintegrates completely. Happy days.

Parksy
23rd July 2013, 06:11 AM
Are you able to post some pictures of it bundu? That would be perfect.

Bundu
23rd July 2013, 11:06 PM
Sure, why not help myself to get that FSM.

Bundu
23rd July 2013, 11:16 PM
Right here goes. Here I am with my arm in a sling after the transfer case dropped on my hand and injuring my thumb. See, one more reason not to restrict access to the FSM. I worked just as hard to post pictures of my efforts on what the TC looks like as for others to obtain the FSM. This is free however. Yes I'm kind of peed off and that is not my garage and neither did the box fall on my hand, but a snake got hold of me.C:\Users\Nadia\Desktop\New folder\037.jpg

Bundu
23rd July 2013, 11:21 PM
Yip here starts the trouble, I need advice on how to get my pictures posted from my desktop. Any advice on how to do so will see the pics for free.

Bundu
23rd July 2013, 11:29 PM
In between I think I'm hijacking this thread but I'm not a terrorist so no harm done or meant. The mods can decide on how they want to handle to issue. I must say that appart from lots of advice found here, I do experience a lack of pictures. I'm not the most tecnical person but still took on the task of taking out the tc myself. It is straight forward and any body can do it. I would also have tried to remove the box myself, but I do lack some critical tools and my chest wont do it as it did for the tc in place of a trolly jack. But yes the clutch is suspect and I do have a seamans vocabulary to help me get things done, and my neighbors can live with that.

mudnut
23rd July 2013, 11:32 PM
G,Day, Bundu, try this thread for your computer questions. It will get your post count up too.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?666-How-To-Ask-a-Question-or-How-To-Upload-Photos.

Clunk
23rd July 2013, 11:33 PM
Hey Bundu , sent you a PM mate

Bundu
23rd July 2013, 11:43 PM
Just a little back ground on the vehicle. I bought it from the UNPC with 110000kilos on the odo. One driver and serviced at a local Nissan dealer. This dealer is not worth their salt based on the fact that they have a habbit of taking off things ( panels ) and do not replace them. They are also skimpy on what they say they do compared to the reality, like billing for an oil service without actually replacing the oil. That is for the engine main box transfer and diffs and greasing of shafts. I strongly doubt that the UNPC would tamper with their vehicles by themselves. The dealer also has a shit approach towards the bubbling dashboard issue which is still un-resolved. This brought me to the point where I prefer to do things myself. What I f-up I fix up.
Back to the car. This is a Patrol GU Y61 DX 4.5litre petrol. I must say for the kilos it is in a very good condition and there is no signs of tampering vissible, that includes the oil drain plugs. Charges without do's thing. The engine is as new when new. The only thing is a idle issue which from the forum I suspect may be the MAF sensor or plugs or worst case the throttle control on the inlet manifold. I will pay attention to that later.
How do I post pictures?

Bundu
24th July 2013, 12:20 AM
The bigger problem is that I suspect the box had been abused by bad driving habits, specifically to using the clutch. I grew up with these kind of vehicles (cruisers, landys and safaris ) and I believe that most will agree that driving a 2.5 ton truck is slightly different from the average sedan, and more costly when it needs repairs. So care needs to be taken specially when operating that clutch pedal. driving around town has a higher toll on the box than off road except if you go for a bit more extreme off road, playing. I noticed problems with the box after detecting a slight noise. Yes there is a lot of this GRRR noise from the box on the forum. So I end up with the VISUAL stuff from David Smith on you-tube as posted here as well. I replied to hin on you-tube and clearly he had a similar noise coming from his TC just to find it was the uni link on the prop shaft. Lots of unnecessary effort on his side to open up the tc where as it could have taken him four bolts on the shaft to start with. That'
s how it goes. So I took the systematic trouble shoot route. Up with the rear axle and on the juice and the noise was there, then off with rear prop shaft and on the juice and the noise was still there. That is in 2H now gents, so the problem is for sure in the TC after I used my screwdriver stethoscope to " hear it out. So out came the TC and by turning the output shaft by hand I could clearly feel a dead spot. At first I thought and hoped it was a bearing, but on further investigation and after butchering the box I found it to be a gear.
The forum say Have To Take Pictures (http) which I did, then they say URL, and I did ask my uncle and he couldn't help, so I guess I am slightly computer illiterate on posting pics. I am, from my last computer crash that ended up looking like a plane crash, no one dead but lots of parts lying around in an abandoned field. Yes I am.

Bundu
24th July 2013, 12:22 AM
Thanks guys I'm on it. No man not the fat lady.

mudnut
24th July 2013, 12:30 AM
It may be the blind leading the blind and I hope someone has an easier way of getting pictures to upload. I save my pictures as jpeg in Paint, then resize them and crop them until they are able to be uploaded to the forum. I have made a special folder on my desktop for the pictures so I can easily open them to upload.

Bundu
24th July 2013, 12:42 AM
LoL, thanks Clunk

Bundu
24th July 2013, 12:46 AM
Thanks Madnut, That is more or less what i did as well apart from resizing. So I got some good advice so far and give it a shot. Resizing will unfortunatly take a bit of time.

Bundu
24th July 2013, 01:13 AM
Lets see if I'm back on the tech ball.

Bundu
24th July 2013, 01:19 AM
Right those were as attachments. Is there a way to embed pics without starting a new thread and not having them as attachments ?

Bundu
24th July 2013, 01:55 AM
If I go to the picture icon, It still gives me the HTTP stuff. I dont have the option to post a pic from my computer or the web, somewhat in the dark here.

NissanGQ4.2
24th July 2013, 06:49 PM
Right those were as attachments. Is there a way to embed pics without starting a new thread and not having them as attachments ?

Read post 40 on this thread by me: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?666-How-To-Ask-a-Question-or-How-To-Upload-Photos.

You don't need to start new threads to post picture's just go to your post that you want to add pics to and select "Edit Post" then add the pics to it
Cheers

Toddie

Bundu
24th July 2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks Toddie I managed to figure it out last night. I lost track that I'm in Africa, and had to expect that red tape, sabotage and a devil in the detail toot will play a role. So after a 10hr wait my pictures suddenly showed up as I posted them. In between I thought it the right thing to start a new thread anyway. See "MY GU TRANSFER CASE TRANSFERED"

Bundu
25th July 2013, 01:26 AM
In summary from the start of this thread I would like to make the following comments. The bearing on the output shaft will always get oil feed as long as the wheels are turning, that is in 2WD and 4WD. Refer to My gu transfer case transfered thread. A gear that sits on the active drive line splashes oil onto a plastic canal from where oil run down and fall on that bearing. There is no mechanical oil pump in the TC.
As far as the issue about driving in 4WD from time to time there is only one single reason ( from experience ). That is to rotate the front prop shaft to alter the position of the bearing in the front diff and to a lesser extend as well the bearing on the 4WD output in the TC. The tendency is that when you drive mainly poor/corrugated gravel roads extensively in 2WD the balls/rollers in the bearing start to pit the outer and inner race of the bearing from the hammering effect. You will really have to be a frequent gravel road visitor. This can come as what I describe as and AK47 assault to your ear when you engage into 4WD. Just the ball bearing running through that pit holes it dug itself in the race cause an awful sound. Remember that the shaft hangs on these bearings, and it is heavy.
For the the issue about bearing running red hot. Believe me the last time any bearing see that state is during manufacturing. If it has tendencies to self destruct a couple of things will happen. You will hear it. You will smell it. You will feel it and hopefully you dont see it, but it will not be red hot before that.
Free grumble now, but expensive later. Investigate asap.