PDA

View Full Version : Recover a Tractor with my GU?

neet_wagon
18th July 2013, 09:34 AM
So my old man has gone and got his FIAT tractor bogged. I haven't seen how badly bogged it is yet, but I am heading out there tonight to try and get him out.

The land out there is pretty much all big steep grassy hills.

Best method to recover him?

I have rated recovery points front and back, and a brand new snatch strap (as well as 35" MTZ's).
First time recovering anything, should I air down the tyres a bit due to the (most likely) wet grass?

Hodge
18th July 2013, 09:48 AM
Got a winch ??

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Motorculture app

TPC
18th July 2013, 09:51 AM
Let some air out to get more traction, probably below 20 psi.
Dig the tractor out as much as you can before trying.

neet_wagon
18th July 2013, 09:53 AM
Got a winch ??

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Motorculture app

Negative. It's on the to-do list.

Let some air out to get more traction, probably below 20 psi.
Dig the tractor out as much as you can before trying.

Thanks, I was going to let them down to about 20psi. I've got an air compressor to pump them back up again. Hopefully he's got a shovel or three out there (new house block, and the shed isn't up yet).

Sir Roofy
18th July 2013, 10:44 AM
Pick up a shovel on the way as well as a snig chain sorry i dont trust those straps

MudRunnerTD
18th July 2013, 11:02 AM
Get rid of excess dirt with a shovel, dig out what you can, gentle tugs to start.

How big is the tractor? is it heavier than your Patrol do you think or like a little fergy?

Let the air out as described to about 18 to 20psi.

Let the air out of the TRACTOR TYRES TOO ;) and see if he can drive out once the shovel work is done. If the tractor is small then letting them down to 10psi or even 5psi, moving the dirt then gently driving out might get him out then reinflate with your pump.

after all of this is when you get the snatch out and connect to your car. If you can help him drive out without your car would be ideal mate.

pics mate.

neet_wagon
18th July 2013, 11:08 AM
Get rid of excess dirt with a shovel, dig out what you can, gentle tugs to start.

How big is the tractor? is it heavier than your Patrol do you think or like a little fergy?

Let the air out as described to about 18 to 20psi.

Let the air out of the TRACTOR TYRES TOO ;) and see if he can drive out once the shovel work is done. If the tractor is small then letting them down to 10psi or even 5psi, moving the dirt then gently driving out might get him out then reinflate with your pump.

after all of this is when you get the snatch out and connect to your car. If you can help him drive out without your car would be ideal mate.

pics mate.

I haven't seen the new tractor, but I reckon they'd weigh about the same. It's a FIAT, probably similar to this:

MudRunnerTD
18th July 2013, 11:11 AM
I haven't seen the new tractor, but I reckon they'd weigh about the same. It's a FIAT, probably similar to this:

the one in the pic is 4wd. if its the same then certainly all tyres down to 10psi, gentle on the throttle, if not enough then drop to 5psi and gentle on the throttle. Then hook on the snatch, gentle on the throttle and tug away.

Cuppa
18th July 2013, 11:42 AM
Got our bus & trailer (approx total weight 6.5 tonnes) bogged in red mud once. Not real deep, but no traction, mud about halfway to rims. A bloke in a Landcruiser pulled us out easily. No snatching, just a steady consistent pull with him using low first. He was on dry ground though.

The problem you might have on steep grass is getting traction to pull him out. If the grass is wet you would be well advised to postpone until the grass is dry. Time of day can make a huge difference even if it hasn't rained. Later in the day is better than first thing in the morning.

I live on a property with steep grass covered hills & have, on a number of occasions, advised others with 4wds, varying in size up to large heavy trucks, that slopes that look quite manageable are not. (I have a microwave rpeter tower on the property which occasionally needs maintenance). Too often drivers have been a bit gung ho & argued the toss with me, & I stupidly agreed to let them have a go. Result chewed up & damaged paddock & the predicted lack of success. These days I just refuse to let them try , suggesting they come back when things have dried out a bit. Pisses them off a bit, but they are not the ones who have to deal with the ruts.

The exception is the lightweight 4wd's like suzukis & subarus. They seem to just float over stuff that leaves heavier vehicles floundering.

IMO it may be better to leave the tractor where it is until you have the bet chance of success.

Cuppa

threedogs
18th July 2013, 12:11 PM
Be wary of the fact that tractors flip real easy. what ever way you choose go slow ,go steady and keep every one clear.
DO NOT USE TOWBALL, I know you wont but just a reminder

neet_wagon
18th July 2013, 12:20 PM
Be wary of the fact that tractors flip real easy. what ever way you choose go slow ,go steady and keep every one clear.
DO NOT USE TOWBALL, I know you wont but just a reminder

I don't have a towball fitted. I have one of these in its place:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j415/satyx2401/rearhitch.jpg

I was talking to the old man before, and it sounds like it's dropped a wheel into a hole and doesn't have the grunt to pull itself free. Sounds a bit easier to manage than bogged.

threedogs
18th July 2013, 12:31 PM
Crossed axles so has lost drive , thats what it sounds like.
If in 4wd rear right and front left have drive. Do you know if tractor has a diff lock switch at all??
Grab some pics too it may help others after reading these posts.
Nice and gentle eh

neet_wagon
18th July 2013, 12:39 PM
Crossed axles so has lost drive , thats what it sounds like.
If in 4wd rear right and front left have drive. Do you know if tractor has a diff lock switch at all??
Grab some pics too it may help others after reading these posts.
Nice and gentle eh

Not sure his is actually 4WD, I haven't seen it. I just know it's a Fiat, and it's Orange.
Yep, I'll grab some pics when I head out there after work.
Picked up a drag chain at lunchtime. Feel a bit safer towing with that instead of using the snatch strap.

threedogs
18th July 2013, 12:43 PM
As Roofy says just tow it out no jerking etc, Straps stretch .
Find a safe place to hook chain on tractor too

neet_wagon
18th July 2013, 01:04 PM
Yep will do, thanks guys.

Cuppa
19th July 2013, 10:30 AM
So how'd it go? Did you get him out?

Cuppa

neet_wagon
20th July 2013, 09:05 PM
So how'd it go? Did you get him out?

Cuppa

Nah. Going to have a look at it tomorrow (Sunday). Rain started at around 2pm on the 18th, and didn't stop until this morning.

threedogs
21st July 2013, 11:57 AM
Taking its still bogged, all alone and cold out in the middle of a paddock somewhere ?

Rustyboner81
21st July 2013, 07:32 PM
How is this goin?
Youve got some sound advice

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Motorculture mobile app

neet_wagon
21st July 2013, 09:24 PM
Yeah no dramas at all. Had Faaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr more trouble getting down to it, and then back out again. The land has been grazing land for 11ty billion years, and they've recently divided it into 20acre farmlets.
I just rolled down there in 4-low, and even then she just skated the whole way down the hill.

Recovery went perfectly. Backed up to the tractor, hooked up the drag chain, put the Patrol into 2nd gear 4 low, and casually drove off with the tractor coming behind me.
The hole doesn't look like much in the pics, but it easily swallowed the entire head of the shovel and about 2-3 inches of the handle. To put things better into perspective, that feedbox to the side is about the size of an Esky...

trekster
21st July 2013, 09:29 PM
Great that the outcome went as expected, go the patrol!!!!!!!!

TPC
21st July 2013, 09:30 PM
Well done, you forget to get a pic of the tractor in the hole.

neet_wagon
21st July 2013, 09:34 PM
Well done, you forget to get a pic of the tractor in the hole.

As soon as we had pulled the tractor out, I knew I should of got a pic. I was too busy laughing my arse off at the old man. Why he even thought he could put the tractor where he wanted to go :/

XT43
21st July 2013, 10:37 PM
Well done!

krbrooking
22nd July 2013, 04:41 AM
Job well done mate good to see things all went to plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Rustyboner81
22nd July 2013, 06:16 AM
I cant see the pics :(

Cuppa
22nd July 2013, 07:38 AM
Good outcome. :)
No airing down required?

Cuppa

rusty_nail
22nd July 2013, 07:55 AM
good to see it worked out mate. nice text book recovery!

neet_wagon
22nd July 2013, 10:15 AM
Good outcome. :)
No airing down required?

Cuppa

I aired down to get back out, whether it made a difference I'm not sure, as she was a four wheel drift all the way back up the hill. MTZ's were like slicks when I got to the top.

TPC
22nd July 2013, 10:17 AM
I aired down to get back out, whether it made a difference I'm not sure, as she was a four wheel drift all the way back up the hill. MTZ's were like slicks when I got to the top.

Taking air out will just about always help, how low did you go?

neet_wagon
22nd July 2013, 11:51 AM
Well both gauges I had with me appeared to be cactus, but I reckon I had the tyres at around 20-22psi.

threedogs
22nd July 2013, 01:01 PM
Great when a plan comes together. Well done
Might be better putting the bucket on front of the Patrol