PDA

View Full Version : Ultra gauge obd2

threedogs
16th July 2013, 02:52 PM
Hi all very interested in this Ultragauge from the states .
Can anyone tell me if my 5/04 is OBD2 seems some are some aren't.
Any idea where sticker is that will tell me for sure. These units are $120 to your door half is post
Great display screen, too

TPC
16th July 2013, 04:08 PM
Have a look at this from another forum.

http://www.mypatrol4x4.com/topic/618-ultra-gauge-and-crd-fuel-economy/

From what I have read in several places the GU's prior to the CRD's had the OBD2 plug but used a different protocol.

threedogs
16th July 2013, 04:53 PM
Interesting reading, but no Cigar, I'll have to ring NIssan and see
if I can get concrete proof of protocol used and on what year.
Surely any service dept would have this information,

TPC
16th July 2013, 04:57 PM
Interesting reading, but no Cigar, I'll have to ring NIssan and see
if I can get concrete proof of protocol used and on what year.
Surely any service dept would have this information,

They probably have the info but may not give it to you.
My experience so far getting info out of Nissan has been poor.
Good luck.

threedogs
16th July 2013, 05:21 PM
Yeah I hear you,,,,,,,,,,, I have some mates in the industry who may be able to help.
bummer

NissanGQ4.2
16th July 2013, 08:03 PM
Sorry mate anything after Consult ( GQ ) is outta my league.

Try Nissan and if they won't help you report back and I'll see if I can find it in the GU manual as it should be listed there

oncedisturbed
17th July 2013, 01:01 AM
I remember trying to find it in the manual but had no luck, knowing me I more than likely missed it.

I have been hunting around for something similar for my 09 4.8 was looking at the bluetooth kits for the android setup as there doesn't appear to be any OBD2 setups for Apple that I could find

threedogs
17th July 2013, 07:53 AM
@ Oncedisturbed I would think the Ultragauge would suit yours.

TPC
17th July 2013, 10:05 AM
Some info here on OBD2 compliance for Patrols, looks like the plug pin assignment might be different in older GU's, there is a link to the pinout that you could compare.
http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/general-chat/23581-mr.html

TPC
17th July 2013, 10:35 AM
3D I have ordered the Ultra-Gauge today, will let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks.
I feel confident it will work on my Troll.

kevin07
18th July 2013, 12:17 AM
3D I have ordered the Ultra-Gauge today, will let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks.
I feel confident it will work on my Troll.

should not be a problem working does on my 07 it will take 5 days to arrive hope you bought the windscreen attachment I had to buy several of these for my mates and all happy

TPC
22nd July 2013, 06:46 PM
My Ultra Gauge has arrived already, only ordered it last Wed, that is quick delivery from the US.
Now I just need to find some time to play with it, and fess up to the wife that I bought it.

mudski
1st August 2013, 04:32 PM
I think TD that ECU talk is what you'll need. Unless I'm wrong. I know they suit the earlier Di's. Would be good if I could get an Ultragauge to work though...
Bloody primitive looking though. http://www.ecutalk.com/

threedogs
1st August 2013, 05:35 PM
I have obd2 plug but its what Protocol the 04 uses

mudski
1st August 2013, 05:38 PM
Erm dunno mate. When you figure it out let me know.

threedogs
1st August 2013, 06:27 PM
Rabbit lol

mundlich69
1st August 2013, 10:02 PM
My mates got an 04 an the ultra gauge didn't work for him, he got 2 of them and has since sold them. I got 2 for $180 delivered 6 months ago works great in the 12 troll and the 07 TDI astra..

Sent from my AMID-9743G using Tapatalk 2

threedogs
2nd August 2013, 09:16 AM
OK that's good info, so the Ultra gauge is not compatible.
So are there any 2004 Di owners out there running OBD2
Scan gauge what ever. in other words what are 04 owners using.
my build date is may 04

@ Mudski don't like that Ecu talk, as you said primitive.
its more of a consult thing than a heads up display IMO

NissanGQ4.2
2nd August 2013, 04:59 PM
@ Mudski don't like that Ecu talk, as you said primitive.
its more of a consult thing than a heads up display IMO

Not much difference in them really, If I was buying one I would actually more than likely buy the ecu talk as it has the usb out port as well, I'm pretty sure the Ultra gauge has no outputs

TPC
2nd August 2013, 05:03 PM
Not much difference in them really, If I was buying one I would actually more than likely buy the ecu talk as it has the usb out port as well, I'm pretty sure the Ultra gauge has no outputs

There is no output on the Ultra Gauge, what do you want to output?

threedogs
2nd August 2013, 05:08 PM
So because the 04 is at the end of the Di and start of the CRD is where the problem lies I think.
Surely some 04 owner out there uses something to correct any errors

NissanGQ4.2
2nd August 2013, 05:25 PM
There is no output on the Ultra Gauge, what do you want to output?

I'm pretty sure with the EcuTalk you can plug a laptop into the front of the screen via the USB output and use their EcuTalk software for more info / diagnostics

I don't have one just from memory of what I have read on their website previously while doing research on consult / OBDII gauges

Cheers

Toddie

TPC
2nd August 2013, 05:32 PM
I'm pretty sure with the EcuTalk you can plug a laptop into the front of the screen via the USB output and use their EcuTalk software for more info / diagnostics

I don't have one just from memory of what I have read on their website previously while doing research on consult / OBDII gauges

Cheers

Toddie

I wish you told me that before I bought the Ultra Gauge. lol

NissanGQ4.2
2nd August 2013, 05:37 PM
I wish you told me that before I bought the Ultra Gauge. lol

Sorry mate, me bad

I know the Ecutalk may look a bit primitive compared 2 the Ultragauge but think the Ecutalk ( i'm pretty sure ) offers more in the way of diagnostics............which is why you but a gauge in the first place, and don't see the point of buying something that looks modern but only does half a job.

But thats just me :)

NissanGQ4.2
2nd August 2013, 05:39 PM
So because the 04 is at the end of the Di and start of the CRD is where the problem lies I think.

I'm guessing your not getting 2 far with this TD

I will try and spend some time on the weekend trying to find out what will work for you

Yendor
2nd August 2013, 05:40 PM

I use the ECUTalk on mine.

threedogs
2nd August 2013, 05:48 PM
What month build is your 04 Yendor ??

Yendor
2nd August 2013, 06:08 PM
What month build is your 04 Yendor ??

Mine is 10/2004

Maxhead
2nd August 2013, 06:11 PM

Bwahhahahahah!!! Try 2007 for CRD!

NissanGQ4.2
2nd August 2013, 06:16 PM
Can anyone tell me if my 5/04 is OBD2 seems some are some aren't.

There is also some confusion because although you may have an ODBII plug it is still actually using the old consult protocol so is not really ODBII

This is Ecutalks support / non support list

Supported List

ZD30DDTi NON-CRD - these non-CRD (Common Rail Diesel) engines work with ECUTalk and should have the OBDII plug.
Nissan Patrol GU II/GU III/GU IV, 2000-2006
Nissan Terrano R20 ?
Nissan Elgrand E50 1999-2001 ?
ZD30DDT NON-CRD NON-INTERCOOLED - as above, but non-intercooler versions found on the Navara D22?
Nissan Navara D22, 2001-2006
RD28ETi - these engines work with ECUTalk via the normal consult plug.
Nissan Patrol GU, 1997-2000
TD42Ti - the older TD42/TD42T is not supported, but the newer TD42Ti is supported and should have the consult plug.
Nissan Patrol GU III/GU IV, 2003-2006
TD27Ti - the TD27Ti should work if it has the consult plug or the relevant consult pins on the OBDII plug.
Some Terrano and others? Particularly before 1999 when Consult II started to take over.

NOT Supported

ZD30 Common Rail - these CRD engines (most 2007+) support OBDII itself - only the older non-CRD (most pre-2007) work with ECUTalk.
TD42/TD42T Engines - the newer TD42Ti is supported, but the older TD42/TD42T is not, despite some having a consult plug for NATS usage.

threedogs
3rd August 2013, 04:09 PM
Thanks did some probing and came up with the fact the 2004 Di zd30 has a 14 pin Grey OBD2 pin and I can get ECUtalk for $97
does that sound like the right price, all you get is plug in lead 1.5 long to a USB, if that's right I'll fit a 10" screen in the dummy glovebox lid.
Have also sent a message to Scangauge on Ebay.
I'll get an answer one way or another

Flippa
6th August 2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the info guys, ordered Ecutalk last night to use on my 2002 ZD30 Patrol which has the OBII plug, hopefully get it this week.

patrol2.8
6th August 2013, 10:38 PM
I run the ecutalk but mine is an obd1 plug Peter who sells the ecutalks is the most helpful bloke ive had mine for over 12 months now and any questions I have are answered quickly his back up service is second to none as for the usb port there is a small program you download from the website which allows you to run more gauges on your laptop depending on the year of your vehicle etc also allows you to check and clear any fault codes that the car throws up just for the record I do not know Peter personaly

NissanGQ4.2
6th August 2013, 10:45 PM
Thanks did some probing and came up with the fact the 2004 Di zd30 has a 14 pin Grey OBD2 pin and I can get ECUtalk for $97
does that sound like the right price, all you get is plug in lead 1.5 long to a USB, if that's right I'll fit a 10" screen in the dummy glovebox lid.
Have also sent a message to Scangauge on Ebay.
I'll get an answer one way or another

John can you post me up a link to what you are getting for $97

If you are only getting a lead it will be no good to you

11th December 2013, 11:37 PM
I have been running the Ultragauge on my GU7 for the last few years. It reads all available parameters but does not display fault codes.

If the engine check light comes on you can clear the fault but you can't read the fault code. It can't detect fault codes.

I like the screen as it is easy to read and configure and also has the option of setting alarms.

But due to the fact that I can't read the fault code I have now fitted a scangauge 2.

The display is lacking but at least I know what is triggering the eng check light.

EFIwindsor
13th February 2018, 05:08 PM
I have recently purchased an ultra gauge. They now show fault codes.
They can also be cleared.
Nice gauge, easy to read and easy to program and calibrate.