PDA

View Full Version : Really what possesses people?

trekster
14th July 2013, 09:15 PM
Couldn't believe what I saw today!!!!

My family and I were out with a couple of other cars today doing some local track, While most of our cars are stock with wheels and recovery gear they are ample for our needs out in the bush.

Today we tackled some good challenging tracks with ruts, mud, slipper surfaces etc. Got up the top of a hill to a nice flat spot where we all decided to stop for lunch, After about 15 mins couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a STOCK xtrail with HTS pull up asking us about the tracks etc. This fella had a map and was with a boy of around 12years old but I have no idea what in gods name possessed him to tackled what we had already done to get where we were.

These cars have no low range and when we asked him how he got to where we were he said he just gave it plenty on the gas peddle :confused:

We did the right thing and offered for him to follow us to get him back out but we had to tackle a very rutted muddy descent which for us was walk in the park on our a/ts and lowrange, but this guy was riding the clutch/brakes etc all the way down this hill can't believed he actually made it down at one point from what I could see he was sliding with all 4 wheels locked up.

Here is a pic of the hill from the bottom, Photos don't do it justice in some sections the angle would have had to have been 45%

MudRunnerTD
14th July 2013, 09:18 PM
But but but!!! It's a 4wd !!! I can do anything now!

Bloodyaussie
14th July 2013, 09:23 PM
I use to do stuff like that in my 2wd Rodeo crewcab!!!!

I'm well hard though!

I am gob smacked at what some people dont know sometimes.....?

trekster
14th July 2013, 09:24 PM
After this guy found us we went to the other end of the spectrum and saw the editor of Jeep action in his old jeep which must have been running 40" tyres and a few other jeeps that were running minimum 37's. They were nice enough to remove a tree from where they came from enabling us to drive back where they had been :)

Cuppa
14th July 2013, 09:25 PM
When out trail bike riding a few years ago, on some pretty gnarly loose & steep tracks up in the high country we met two girls driving a an old Volvo station wagon in what was definitely 4wd country. No idea how they had managed to get there, but they did look like they were enjoying themselves.

Cuppa

trekster
14th July 2013, 09:27 PM
As for the xtrail guy, We ditched him as soon as we got him back to the easy dirt allowing him to get out!

YNOT
14th July 2013, 09:29 PM
I've seen a standard XF Falcon ute at the bottom of Club rally circuit at Landcruiser Park, would have been a hellava ride going down the hill! It took us (QLD Nissan Patrol club) over an hour to get him back to the top.

93patrol
14th July 2013, 09:30 PM
as Mudrunner says they believe its a 4wd and soo they think its ok to go out it. Over here we have a VERY hungry and soft beach and the amount of times i go to enter the beach only to be met with xtrails and dodge nitros bogged to the diffs is amazing and after i drag them off the track back to hard pack they go and give it another go... i offer once then i just drive around them bloody idiots

TPC
14th July 2013, 09:39 PM
I have been guilty of the same thing, many years ago I took a Datsun 1600 down to blowhole beach in deep creek conservation park.
Got down there ok but had lots of tries before finally getting back up again with a few sill and back quarter panel dents.

Hodge
14th July 2013, 09:41 PM
When I got into off-roading, me and a mate drove past a seriously bogged Camry up at disappointment. Can't remember the track name or anything. I was pretty new at it and my D22 had A/Ts on with 2" lift, and I believe I still struggled at some sections. To my embarrassment, yep there it was, a white camry with a bloke and his family "sightseeing" as far as we understood. Spoke very very little English, so when we asked how in the hell he actually got that far, he couldn't understand us, so it was a shame, since I was very curious as to HOW and WHY?!
We towed him in reverse for about 100m, back to one of the main link roads. Just before he said thanks with a big smile, he proceeded to pull out a map and began pointing to various spots around that area. This is even with his front and rear bumper half hanging off. We did our best to explain to him this is no place for an ordinary car like that and pointed him straight back to Hume fwy.
After that day I copped it for a while, that a camry got further than my d22.

Edit: Had a few pics of that event too, but got lost together with my Iphone back then.

trekster
14th July 2013, 09:53 PM
Really wanted to slap this guy today, not for getting out there and having a go but being by himself with a young kid as well. Imagine if he got stuck would have been a long walk home, We only saw him and the jeeps in the whole day so he was very lucky to find someone willing to take him out and help out if he got stuck.......

Ben-e-boy
14th July 2013, 09:54 PM
Did he need recovering or help doing these hills

Hodge
14th July 2013, 09:55 PM
Really wanted to slap this guy today, not for getting out there and having a go but being by himself with a young kid as well. Imagine if he got stuck would have been a long walk home, We only saw him and the jeeps in the whole day so he was very lucky to find someone willing to take him out and help out if he got stuck.......

That is the more annoying part, bringing kids with him in an unsafe matter etc, , and wasting other keen helpers' time draggin' him out.

mudski
14th July 2013, 10:03 PM
Yeah came across a guy with his wife and kids in a Audi A6 Wagon past Sheepyard flats heading towards Tobacco flat and the slate mine. Yes! An 80K car trying to get up the start of a 4x4 track. Right next to him was a big sign saying 4x4 Only. I asked him what the hell he is doing and he just smiled and said if I press this button I can lift my car 2inches. And asked me if I thought he would make it. What I should have said is "Yeah sure mate, I'll follow and film you and when you get stuck I will just smile and wave". Stupid me told him he would make it.
Same weekend we followed a stock Rav4 attempting Monument track. A very rocky downhill section, there was a bow wave of rocks in front of him he was pushing whilst doing this downhill part.
Was an amusing weekend.

NP99
14th July 2013, 10:05 PM
When out trail bike riding a few years ago, on some pretty gnarly loose & steep tracks up in the high country we met two girls driving a an old Volvo station wagon in what was definitely 4wd country. No idea how they had managed to get there, but they did look like they were enjoying themselves.

Cuppa

As long as they were having fun:)

trekster
14th July 2013, 10:12 PM
Did he need recovering or help doing these hills

No as we were descending, however there was real risk here for him to either get snagged up on a mound or just slide all the way down and make for a nasty accident....

Kast
14th July 2013, 11:47 PM
Gday lads,

I can see all sides to this but have to agree on the safety front.

Xtrails, whilst not a top tier 4wd, are pretty darned capable. All this does is encourage a false sense of security. That's no excuse for proper understanding, knowledge and preparation.

On a recent trip to Coral Bay a mate and I stopped to dig out a brand new colarado. All the options (but no the recovery gear) bogged up to the armpits 50m onto the sand. First time we went around he was stuck but letting air out (for the first time). We did a 20min lap and on return he'd aired down and was throwing rocks under the fronts.

My mate threw in the maxtraks, which can't quite help someone bogged up to their .......
Some decent digging and muscle to push and 15min later he was off the beach and done for the day.

My long winded message is threefold:
1. It's not the equipment, its the person operating it

2. Smarts and common sense can outdo $$$ and technology in most cases

3. Eyes wide open. Anything else and you're in someone else's hands. I'm pretty sure we've all got the same preference on that one.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Clunk
14th July 2013, 11:54 PM
I have to say...... I used to own an XTrail and took it to places that the big boys thought Id have no chance in hell, they were quite impressed at how capable the little thing was. Yes they did it with ease and yes it was harder work for me. But its all about picking the right line and taking your time................... oh and I never got it bogged on the beach either.

and yes, I no longer have the Xtrail because I wanted to go where the big boys went and I definitely couldnt

Drewboyaus
15th July 2013, 12:28 AM
I have been guilty of the same thing, many years ago I took a Datsun 1600 down to blowhole beach in deep creek conservation park.
Got down there ok but had lots of tries before finally getting back up again with a few sill and back quarter panel dents.

Go the Datto 1600. Awesome little cars! Me and a mate flogged a 240Z up a bunch of gnarly tracks up Bunyip way when we were young and stupid.
Also having seen Xtrails and Ravs in action in the hands of skilled drivers they are very capable units....no Patrol but capable none the less.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

trekster
15th July 2013, 06:55 AM
My long winded message is threefold:
1. It's not the equipment, its the person operating it

2. Smarts and common sense can outdo $$$ and technology in most cases

3. Eyes wide open. Anything else and you're in someone else's hands. I'm pretty sure we've all got the same preference on that one.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Couldn't agree more!

rusty_nail
15th July 2013, 10:18 AM
at the end of the day as long as people understand the risk they are taking by putting their vehicle in the precarious situations we 4wders like to all the time, i dont see any harm in these people having a go. if they break it they will have to suffer the consequences of doing so and have no one but themselves to blame. its their choice and responsibility at the end of the day

Kast
15th July 2013, 12:49 PM
Too true rusty. That's what the world should be, instead of this 'I'm an idiot so I'll sue someone else' crap we get

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

threedogs
15th July 2013, 03:38 PM
Could have been stolen, they go anywhere,lol
A lot of this country was explored in 2 wd cars/ trucks
How many times have you come across a stolen car in the bush
and thought how the H did it get here. You'd be really surprised
how far a "soft Roader" will go in the right hands

TPC
15th July 2013, 03:44 PM
I have found rental cars go anyware.

threedogs
15th July 2013, 03:55 PM
A few years back some GUs were out 4x4ing and came across a Subaru stuck . Had no strap, go figure
the GU guys hooked him up saying any damage is yours to pay for. driving slowly came to an edge and increased momentum
,ripping front off said Subaru, the strap flew forward colliding where the rear doors meet . repair bill for GU was for two rear doors R/R paint etc $4000 plus
Subaru was written off, I asked GU driver why no cargo barrier as it had 5 ppl on board at the time, Reply was removed it only last week as couldn't see
out the back. Names with held but if it was you PM me

cgm
15th July 2013, 04:51 PM
... an old Volvo station wagon in what was definitely 4wd country. No idea how they had managed to get there, but they did look like they were enjoying themselves.

Cuppa

Who's going to be offended .... Bloody Volvo drivers - although two girls do not fit the stereotype - should be a stubborn old guy. :)

mudnut
15th July 2013, 05:08 PM
I have found rental cars go anyware.

Yeah, but work utes go even further.

Winnie
15th July 2013, 05:18 PM
Yeah, but work utes go even further.

Hahahahahahaha

Trying to use Motorculture

NP99
15th July 2013, 06:45 PM
Could have been stolen, they go anywhere,lol
A lot of this country was explored in 2 wd cars/ trucks
How many times have you come across a stolen car in the bush
and thought how the H did it get here. You'd be really surprised
how far a "soft Roader" will go in the right hands

AAT tours started off in 2WD's. :)

Limmy
16th July 2013, 04:35 PM
a while back my neighbour just bought a Honda CRV . He asks me where I go 4wdriving , he wants to go with his crv .
I Looked at him like this
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/07/68.jpg

Drewboyaus
16th July 2013, 10:20 PM
PML

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....