PDA

View Full Version : 4 inch lift questions

florix
14th July 2013, 07:38 PM
Hey all,
I have a couple of questions about gaining another 2 inches.
Currently I have 2" suspension lift and I believe I need another 2 to allow my 35s to fit better. They don't scrape but I am worried when I do go off road they will. I don't have a caster kit atm so it's a little off. I have either two options body lift of 2 inches and finish off my suspension lift or fit a 4" suspension kit. I do have a ST GU so BL is interesting in regards to airbags and also adjusting bars and sliders to suit plus the gear lever too. What do you believe is the better option. Complete suspension upgrade or just a body lift? Also in terms of a lift kit I am looking at springs, shocks, panhard trans spacer, castors and brake lines. Is there anything else you would recommend?
Thanks for the help

Ben-e-boy
14th July 2013, 07:49 PM
I havnt heard of anyone doing a body lift on a gu, they havem massive wheel arches, 35's on an 8 inch should fit

florix
14th July 2013, 07:52 PM
8 inch? I have 2 inches ATM and was think an extra two would cover it. The front is close to the rear of the arch. They do fit snug but I am worried about it scrubbing in the front that's all

Ben-e-boy
14th July 2013, 08:15 PM
8 inch? I have 2 inches ATM and was think an extra two would cover it. The front is close to the rear of the arch. They do fit snug but I am worried about it scrubbing in the front that's all

Sorry 8 inch rim

florix
14th July 2013, 08:23 PM
Ok makes more sense now

This is my clearance with just a 2"

Front

Rear

Clunk
14th July 2013, 08:48 PM
Looks like plenty of clearance to me

MC app sucks big hairy ones!!!!!!!! Having to delete and reinstall everyday........

YNOT
14th July 2013, 09:23 PM
I'm not a fan of body lifts, I'd rather get the chassis up higher.
To do a 4" lift you will also need brake bias valve spacer and extended/adjustable drag link. Rear lower control arms will hang down a bit with the bigger lift and would be better replaced with heavy duty arms. If you get extended H/D lower control arms you might do away with the need for transmission spacers.

As far as front tyres scrubbing on the backs of the gaurds, the design of most drop arms and drop boxes factor this in and move the diff forward about half an inch.

neet_wagon
15th July 2013, 10:47 AM
Ok makes more sense now

This is my clearance with just a 2"

Looks like heaps to me. My vertical clearance with 35's on is less than yours - and my lift is almost stock height now days.
I've only had it rub once, and that was fully compressed into the wheel arch (side biters were grabbing the plastic flare)

florix
15th July 2013, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the advise. So I suppose the next question is a drop box or a caster kit to suit a 2" lift.

Ben-e-boy
15th July 2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the advise. So I suppose the next question is a drop box or a caster kit to suit a 2" lift.

Neither for a 2 inch lift. Only castor if it is required.

florix
15th July 2013, 03:40 PM
Yeah that's what I thought but have been told is always needed with patrols? So many conflicting stories but this is from shops

MudRunnerTD
15th July 2013, 04:57 PM

I have drop boxes with my 3" lift and they are awesome but very unlikely that you need any caster correction with a 2" lift as stated. 90% dont need anything but then there are the Friday cars ;) some of them need some caster correction. ;)

florix
15th July 2013, 04:59 PM
Lol Friday cars. What did you change with your 3" lift?

MudRunnerTD
15th July 2013, 05:09 PM
Lol Friday cars. What did you change with your 3" lift?

Springs,
Shocks,
Brake Bias,
Brake lines,
Drop Boxes,
Adjustable Drag Link 4140
extended rear sway bar links,
Removed front sway bar.

While i was there though,,,,, HD 4140 Superior Lower Trailing arms, HD 4140 Tie rod,

growler2058
15th July 2013, 05:24 PM
The $3080 in this link is what's in my GQ
http://www.bigo4x4.com.au/default.asp?page=suspension

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

florix
15th July 2013, 08:08 PM
How do you find the ride like with that kit?

MEGOMONSTER
19th January 2014, 11:40 PM
The $3080 in this link is what's in my GQ
http://www.bigo4x4.com.au/default.asp?page=suspension

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Are you planning in answering his (Florix) question.
Co I wanna hear your answer too. Lol

growler2058
19th January 2014, 11:49 PM
Like a firkin boat hahahahahaha not that bad really I was driving windy hills roads today and it handles fine
I haven't got round to putting the rear sway bar back on. Never had a front one

MEGOMONSTER
20th January 2014, 12:19 AM
Like a firkin boat hahahahahaha not that bad really I was driving windy hills roads today and it handles fine
I haven't got round to putting the rear sway bar back on. Never had a front one

I'm now thinking a 4" lift. Just researching.

growler2058
20th January 2014, 12:21 AM
I'm now thinking a 4" lift. Just researching.

But these days 4" isn't legal without an engineers report. With your GUrly you would fit 35's with a 2" lift.

MEGOMONSTER
20th January 2014, 12:24 AM
But these days 4" isn't legal without an engineers report. With your GUrly you would fit 35's with a 2" lift.

But 35's aren't legal anyway.
So if I'm gonna get a canary, I may as well make it worth while. Lol

growler2058
20th January 2014, 12:26 AM
But 35's aren't legal anyway.
So if I'm gonna get a canary, I may as well make it worth while. Lol

I would go the 4" with 35's & run the gauntlet :) if plod catches ya put your standard gear back on

MEGOMONSTER
20th January 2014, 12:31 AM
I would go the 4" with 35's & run the gauntlet :) if plod catches ya put your standard gear back on

Let's say I got 4" lift and get a sticker, do I just change the springs (say 2" springs) or will everything be out whack again.

growler2058
20th January 2014, 08:30 AM
Let's say I got 4" lift and get a sticker, do I just change the springs (say 2" springs) or will everything be out whack again.

Yup if you have drop boxes they'll need to be removed prik of a job just to get a sticker taken off
I isn't think Darren's lift stands out as being 4" as much as it does on my GQ

Ben-e-boy
20th January 2014, 10:26 AM
why do you want a 4 inch lift. go 2 inch and 37's

MEGOMONSTER
20th January 2014, 08:54 PM
why do you want a 4 inch lift. go 2 inch and 37's

Mainly I think to avoid body damage.
I'm more than happy to be talked out of it.
And to have 35's comfortably under me without worrying if it will hit anything guards etc with only a 2" lift.

Ben-e-boy
20th January 2014, 09:48 PM
If it is only to avoid body damage, add some bar work, front and rear scrub rails, and if you in a rut off camber the bigger lifts will keel over and you will scrap higher up your panel.
The back corners of my tray have been taken back to bare metal and on of the latches is bent from scraping up against the other side of ruts

MEGOMONSTER
20th January 2014, 09:50 PM
If it is only to avoid body damage, add some bar work, front and rear scrub rails,

Bloody hell Benny I got all that.
I just want it to look good.
Ok there I said it. You happy now.

Ben-e-boy
20th January 2014, 09:57 PM
Bloody hell Benny I got all that.
I just want it to look good.
Ok there I said it. You happy now.

Yes very happy, if you are going to make something look tough, might aswell make it proper tough.

You dont have rear scrub bars? Connects the sliders to the rear bar

MEGOMONSTER
20th January 2014, 09:59 PM
Yes very happy, if you are going to make something look tough, might aswell make it proper tough.

You dont have rear scrub bars? Connects the sliders to the rear bar

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,...........sounds like a plan

MEGOMONSTER
20th January 2014, 10:01 PM

my wagon looking like your UTE, only black and oh yeah a wagon lol

growler2058
20th January 2014, 11:02 PM

Aaaand fancy pants seats!

MEGOMONSTER
20th January 2014, 11:04 PM
Aaaand fancy pants seats!

yes with fancy pants seats, that hold you up in your seat, unlike Ben's where you sink into his bucket seats. LOL

MudRunnerTD
20th January 2014, 11:50 PM
Hey Mic, my GUIV has a 3" Old Man Emu Comp spec setup. Drop boxes and no front sway bar. Love it.

It will fit 35s without real trouble ( I did a very slight trim of the back of the front guard flares) and happy days. I have never ever been pulled over in the GU for any reason.

A 3" lift you will not require adjustable panards so there is a saving of maybe $600 or more.

3" looks like it should have come Like that from the factory. It's a Gem and does not look like a roller skate.. Perfect all rounder.

MEGOMONSTER
21st January 2014, 12:26 AM
Hey Mic, my GUIV has a 3" Old Man Emu Comp spec setup. Drop boxes and no front sway bar. Love it.

It will fit 35s without real trouble ( I did a very slight trim of the back of the front guard flares) and happy days. I have never ever been pulled over in the GU for any reason.

A 3" lift you will not require adjustable panards so there is a saving of maybe $600 or more.

3" looks like it should have come Like that from the factory. It's a Gem and does not look like a roller skate.. Perfect all rounder.

Thanks, I had a rethink after last night.
And I think I will go the 3" lift.
Just a matter of what to get.

I would like to have a good chat with you.

93patrol
22nd January 2014, 06:24 PM
I have a 4 inch lift in my new rig and was thinking of taking the front sway bar off. Will I need drop out cones or longer bump stops

MudRunnerTD
22nd January 2014, 06:41 PM
I have a 4 inch lift in my new rig and was thinking of taking the front sway bar off. Will I need drop out cones or longer bump stops

Not just because your removing the sway bar. have you still go the rear sway bar in? Did you fit the 4" lift? did you make any allowances for adjusting the bump stops then? Drop out cones will really depend on the open length of your rear shocks.

MudRunnerTD
22nd January 2014, 07:26 PM
Thanks, I had a rethink after last night.
And I think I will go the 3" lift.
Just a matter of what to get.

I would like to have a good chat with you.

Any time Mick, come and have a look at my. GUIV.

Ben-e-boy
22nd January 2014, 07:49 PM

Mine looks like a farm ute :D

yes with fancy pants seats, that hold you up in your seat, unlike Ben's where you sink into his bucket seats. LOL

Even though the arse of those seats have dropped thet are still going well, they have been in a VL commonwhore, xf falcoon, 2 laser tx3's a fiat 131 before I got theand have been in the ute since 2009, I got them in 2007

MEGOMONSTER
22nd January 2014, 09:32 PM
Mine looks like a farm ute :

I'll rephrase my car to perform like yours.

93patrol
22nd January 2014, 09:45 PM
Not just because your removing the sway bar. have you still go the rear sway bar in? Did you fit the 4" lift? did you make any allowances for adjusting the bump stops then? Drop out cones will really depend on the open length of your rear shocks.

I didn't fit the lift. It's a tough dog springs and panhard rods with west coast suspension shocks. Extended links and all that there standard bump stops

bigkevlittletruck
22nd September 2014, 10:16 PM
Does any one have any experience with off set bearings for swivel hubs as opposed to drop boxes saw some advertised they look cosy effective if they work. Cheers kev

MudRunnerTD
22nd September 2014, 10:22 PM
Does any one have any experience with off set bearings for swivel hubs as opposed to drop boxes saw some advertised they look cosy effective if they work. Cheers kev

They do two completely different things. In fact I have both fitted to my GUIV with a 3" lift.

The offset king pin bearing is fitted to the left side upper king pin bearing to add camber to accommodate the camber on Australian roads and can be added to vehicles suffering from front end shimmy.

The drop boxes specifically add Caster correction and are very effective for a lift of 3" or more.

bigkevlittletruck
23rd September 2014, 09:56 PM
Thanks for that mudrunner that's cleared that for me