PDA

View Full Version : 23 - 24 - 25th August - VICTORIAN MEMBERS MEETUP at Licola/Dargo

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Winnie
12th July 2013, 07:15 PM
Sorry for the stuff around guys.... 23rd would actually be better for me because I won't have to rush to get my cooler done so will all be done properly the way it should be done with no rushing. I've got a lot of stuff I will need to buy for this trip too.

Dates are now the 23rd, 24th and 25th of August.

4 weeks away guys! Friday night camp at either McFarlane's Saddle or Horseyard Flats. Don't know about Horseyard but can just about guarantee there will be snow at McFarlanes. Attached a photo that was taken in April at the Saddle.

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/pb2017/Winnie/DSC00288_zpsfd164ad3.jpg (http://s816.photobucket.com/user/InfernalTyrant/media/DSC00288_zpsfd164ad3.jpg.html)

I will go up there the weekend before to check out the situation and see what the roads etc. are like. The Saddle is around 3.5-4 hour trip from Melbourne. I am happy to meet people in Traralgon Friday morning if I can get the day off, otherwise I won't be there until around 7-8pm. There is a hut which is a very short walk from the saddle (maybe a 5 min walk) which could be a possibility depending on numbers.

Recommended maps are Rooftops Jamieson-Licola and Dargo-Wonnangatta.

I am going to try to take the Friday off work, it shouldn't be a problem, if I do I would hope to get there around midday.

Looking forward to this one guys!

Attending members:
Winnie (Chris)
AB (Andy)
Bloodyaussie (Jonathan)
Alitis007 (George)
Roofy
MudRunnerTD (Darren)
Liftlid (Gary)
krbrooking (Kev) with a mate (Bryden)

AB
12th July 2013, 07:16 PM
Done, count me in...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Bloodyaussie
12th July 2013, 09:12 PM
Yes I am in... sorry helping irish move house.

I cant wait for this guy's as I need an escape.. cheers winnie for organizing this mate.

Winnie
12th July 2013, 09:14 PM
Hey Andy what about Rossco? Surely he'd be up for this!

Alitis007
12th July 2013, 10:04 PM
Put me down for Sat arvo and Sunday ??

You guys are going to do a run on sunday right?????

Bloodyaussie
12th July 2013, 11:14 PM
No we are in the bloody snow we will be around a fire....? so no night run.

Sir Roofy
12th July 2013, 11:41 PM
4 weeks away guys! Friday night camp at either mcfarlane's saddle or horseyard flats. Don't know about horseyard but can just about guarantee there will be snow at mcfarlanes. Attached a photo that was taken in april at the saddle.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz82/infernaltyrant/dsc00288_zpsfd164ad3.jpg (http://s816.photobucket.com/user/infernaltyrant/media/dsc00288_zpsfd164ad3.jpg.html)

i will go up there the weekend before to check out the situation and see what the roads etc. Are like. The saddle is around 3.5-4 hour trip from melbourne. I am happy to meet people in traralgon friday morning if i can get the day off, otherwise i won't be there until around 7-8pm. There is a hut which is a very short walk from the saddle (maybe a 5 min walk) which could be a possibility depending on numbers.

Recommended maps are rooftops jamieson-licola and dargo-wonnangatta.

I am going to try to take the friday off work, it shouldn't be a problem, if i do i would hope to get there around midday.

Looking forward to this one guys!

attending members:
winnie (chris)
ab (andy)
bloodyaussie (jonathan)

theres a hut at horse yard flats mate drive straight to it
theres the moroka hut turn right just over the bridge before horse yard
if the weather is right youll get snow at arbuckle junction

Alitis007
13th July 2013, 12:25 AM
No we are in the bloody snow we will be around a fire....? so no night run.

I didn't know it was going yo be night all day sunday?? ya mook!!

AB
13th July 2013, 09:49 AM
Hey Andy what about Rossco? Surely he'd be up for this!

I sent him an SMS last night and will chat to him over the weekend. I'll also let Timbo know.

Winnie
13th July 2013, 10:13 AM
I sent him an SMS last night and will chat to him over the weekend. I'll also let Timbo know.

Sweet, thanks mate.
George I dunno how keen I'd be for a night run.... I will be COLD!

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

Alitis007
13th July 2013, 10:55 AM
Lol Jonathan assumed that i meant night run, i was just saying that i would rock up sat arvo/night to drive on sunday. But since you guys are talking about a night run, why not!! Lol its going to be cold regardless.........

Anyway see how we go.

MudRunnerTD
13th July 2013, 10:57 AM
Night runs are the Best! Night runs in the snow are Awesome

krbrooking
13th July 2013, 11:58 AM
Will try and see how I go, would live to make it as I have never camped in snow. Is there any precautions we need to take or prep for because of the temps, as in anti freeze in the car or an other things. I am more than sure bryden will make it will try and confirm next week sometime once I have spoken to him and racked up some extra brownie points with the boss.

threedogs
13th July 2013, 03:05 PM
Not a Hijack but if you don't want to go snow driving there are a few going fishing up the murray, just north of Shep,

@ MR a night run in the snow with all LED light bars blazing would be an awesome sight, even HID.

Winnie
13th July 2013, 06:36 PM
Where is Roofy? Surely he would not miss a meet up! Drewboy?

boots
13th July 2013, 06:54 PM
For the diesel engines about 250 - 450 ml of mineral 2 stroke oil in the full fuel tank . Instant alpine diesel mix .

Bloodyaussie
13th July 2013, 06:54 PM
Roofy said he is going to miss this one as he will be somewhere else and Drewboy only plays with his mates!!!!!!

Winnie
13th July 2013, 06:59 PM
What! You are kidding this will have to be the first meet up Roofy will miss.

Bloodyaussie
13th July 2013, 07:37 PM
What! You are kidding this will have to be the first meet up Roofy will miss.

2nd mate...... I got my locker so am working towards getting this all fitted in time!!!???

Winnie
13th July 2013, 07:44 PM
I am lowering my car tomorrow... Fully hectic uleh! Lol I am taking the body lift out finally. And I should have the intercooler set up by the time for the trip and maybe even tuned

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

Bloodyaussie
13th July 2013, 07:50 PM
Cool bananas mate... cant wait??

Drewboyaus
13th July 2013, 07:57 PM
Roofy said he is going to miss this one as he will be somewhere else and Drewboy only plays with his mates!!!!!!

Jeeezzzzz. Harsh!
I can't do the Friday night but I am a maybe for meeting you somewhere on Saturday.
At the moment I'm a maybe because I've already committed to the SA crew's trip along Border track into Little Desert. That said, I'm not sure if they're going 'cause nobody seems to want to commit to a date.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Winnie
13th July 2013, 07:58 PM
Hell no! LMAO I just hope it's ready by then because they said they are down on staff at the moment and estimated 3 weeks but could not be positive. I'll ring them on Monday and see how it's looking, I'm gonna ring Diesel-tech to book in as well because it usually takes a couple of weeks to get in with them.

Drewboyaus
13th July 2013, 08:05 PM
Will try and see how I go, would live to make it as I have never camped in snow. Is there any precautions we need to take or prep for because of the temps, as in anti freeze in the car or an other things. I am more than sure bryden will make it will try and confirm next week sometime once I have spoken to him and racked up some extra brownie points with the boss.

What sort of shelter are you bringing to sleep in?

Drewboyaus
13th July 2013, 08:08 PM
I am lowering my car tomorrow... Fully hectic uleh! Lol I am taking the body lift out finally. And I should have the intercooler set up by the time for the trip and maybe even tuned

So you'll be putting on a new set of 22 inch wheels and 50 profile tyres then? LMAO
Should have my winch rebuilt and wired up by then

krbrooking
13th July 2013, 08:09 PM
What sort of shelter are you bringing to sleep in?

Just my swag on a stretcher with a tarp over head.

P.S. @ Johnathon, I think that winch is nakered. There is a direct short somewhere.

MudRunnerTD
13th July 2013, 08:30 PM
Just my swag on a stretcher with a tarp over head.

P.S. @ Johnathon, I think that winch is nakered. There is a direct short somewhere.

If your in Snow then take a couple of pieces of wood. 10x1s --- 240 x 19 or something longer than th width of your stretcher that you can put under the legs / feet of your stretcher or you will sink into the snow and it will get really bloody cold.

The cold will work up through the bottom of a swag on the ground, up through the mattress and chill you to your bones by about 3am and then there is no escape.

Barriers between you and cold win . Newspapers under the mattress. Extra tarps, extra mattresses.

Drewboyaus
13th July 2013, 08:41 PM
If your in Snow then take a couple of pieces of wood. 10x1s --- 240 x 19 or something longer than th width of your stretcher that you can put under the legs / feet of your stretcher or you will sink into the snow and it will get really bloody cold.

The cold will work up through the bottom of a swag on the ground, up through the mattress and chill you to your bones by about 3am and then there is no escape.

Barriers between you and cold win . Newspapers under the mattress. Extra tarps, extra mattresses.

A couple of those rubber backed picnic rugs under the mattress work well too
I also have a liner for my sleeping bag that improves the temperature rating by 4 or 5 degrees. It is awesome in the snow.

Winnie
13th July 2013, 09:08 PM
I was just going to roll out the awning and shovel all the snow out from under it so I have a little spot of snowless ground. Swag on top of stretcher and bob's your auntie's live in lover.

I need to buy a better sleeping bag before then and a proper gas stove. Butane bottles do not like cold weather and I do not like not being able to boil a billy in the morning!

Bloodyaussie
13th July 2013, 09:09 PM
Jeeezzzzz. Harsh!
I can't do the Friday night but I am a maybe for meeting you somewhere on Saturday.
At the moment I'm a maybe because I've already committed to the SA crew's trip along Border track into Little Desert. That said, I'm not sure if they're going 'cause nobody seems to want to commit to a date.

Need a cuddle...?? desert ...snow...desert..snow..?? both fricking freezing at night??

Yeah I will fix up my awning and be using a swag on a stretcher.. got a couple of other little tricks to help keep warm... plus dont forget the extra large blanket and tarp for the car. It makes a huge difference when starting up in the morning.

This is the only pick I can find of the blankets and tarps and when you put your hand under the blanket in the morning the engine felt almost warm compared to what we were in..

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x260/jpgpz/IMG_2056.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/jpgpz/media/IMG_2056.jpg.html)

Winnie
13th July 2013, 09:13 PM
She'll be right just glow the plugs a few times!

got a couple of other little tricks to help keep warm..
What are they?

Bloodyaussie
13th July 2013, 09:17 PM
I am a bozo.... its my sons birthday that weekend???

Winnie
13th July 2013, 09:21 PM
And what better way to celebrate than in the high country covered in snow?

Bloodyaussie
13th July 2013, 09:23 PM
You dont get it... would be easier to get away for my birthday than his....why for fwarks sake does this happen???? I want to cry... this could end up being a shit fight here at home??

Drewboyaus
13th July 2013, 09:27 PM
I need to buy a better sleeping bag before then and a proper gas stove. Butane bottles do not like cold weather and I do not like not being able to boil a billy in the morning!
Check out Amazon mate and get yourself a Coleman dual fuel stove. I've bought my stoves from Amazon and they are shed loads cheaper than buying here. Less than half price normally and delivered in a week!

Winnie
13th July 2013, 09:29 PM
Okay seeings as it looks like it would just be me and AB Friday night and George the next, it might be easier to swap the dates to 23rd, 24th, 25th of August. That way both Daz and Jonathan will be able to come?

Bloodyaussie
13th July 2013, 09:32 PM
Well I just had a talk to the boss and she said no bloody way am I going on my sons birthday and she says if I want to go on my birthday thats fine...16th 17th 18th?? Oh Pooh!!!

krbrooking
13th July 2013, 09:54 PM
Okay seeings as it looks like it would just be me and AB Friday night and George the next, it might be easier to swap the dates to 23rd, 24th, 25th of August. That way both Daz and Jonathan will be able to come?

Hellooo, I did say I was coming with bryden. Now I am confused what date are we going????

MudRunnerTD
13th July 2013, 09:55 PM
23 would suit me guys, will work on getting the GQ ready for then.

healy
13th July 2013, 10:46 PM
Spewing I really wanted to hit the slopes in the patrol this year just remember guys 10points for a skier

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Motorculture mobile app

healy
13th July 2013, 10:47 PM
Hellooo, I did say I was coming with bryden. Now I am confused what date are we going????

You have to type louder mate

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Motorculture mobile app

Bloodyaussie
13th July 2013, 10:54 PM
Yeah sorry for the stuff around guys but I have to many things on and completely forgot about my sons birthday..... only a week before mine god I am a sorry case!!

mudski
13th July 2013, 10:57 PM
23rd weekend I will be out for sure as its my daughters birthday and it's her turn this year to have friends over for a slumber party. So I am required to stay and help out.

While on topic of sleeping in the snow. I was thinking of just rolling out my double Darche swag and covering it with a tarp strapped from the bull bar. So I need something underneath the swag?
If I was to go I was going to bring my mate so we can spoon in the swag to keep warm.:shivering:

Winnie
14th July 2013, 12:38 AM
Sorry for the stuff around guys.... 23rd would actually be better for me because I won't have to rush to get my cooler done so will all be done properly the way it should be done with no rushing. I've got a lot of stuff I will need to buy for this trip too.

Dates are now the 23rd, 24th and 25th of August.

mudski
14th July 2013, 01:00 AM
Guh! I'm definitely out now...Bloody kids get in my way every time.

AB
14th July 2013, 09:05 AM
Confirming Rossco can attend this too gents!

Winnie
14th July 2013, 09:10 AM
Confirming Rossco can attend this too gents!

On the new date? Awesome!

Trying to use Motorculture

AB
14th July 2013, 09:18 AM
My nieces birthday is the 25th but I should be ok.....I'll have to check the new dates with Rossco again.

Winnie
14th July 2013, 09:23 AM
Sorry mate

krbrooking
14th July 2013, 10:28 AM
OK SHOULD BE ABLE TO STILL MAKE IT, I WILL SPEAK TO BRYDEN THROUGH THE WEEK AND CONFIRM WITH HIM!!!!!!

Do you think that was loud enough Healy??

Winnie
14th July 2013, 10:42 AM
Roger that Kev! Haha

Bloodyaussie
14th July 2013, 10:52 AM
As Winnie said I also will do better with a touch more time as I have so much on and even though I would have made any of those dates rushing like a mad man to get ready is not the best preparation..

I want to re run the cables coming through the firewall(think I was talking to Mudski) so that there is only a couple of larger gauge power wires and all the crap taps into them inside the cab and then I can do a better job of closing up the hole..?

Winnie
14th July 2013, 11:00 AM
Come on now Jonny what are your tips for keeping warm?

Bloodyaussie
14th July 2013, 11:10 AM
I wore shorts last year.... when I worked up at the snowfields I would wear shorts all the time... people thought I was mad!!!

DX grunt
14th July 2013, 11:20 AM
Don't forget to bring me back a Dargo pub sticker. lol

Sir Roofy
14th July 2013, 11:57 AM
where is roofy? Surely he would not miss a meet up! Drewboy?

ok ill be in fits in with my hunting dates ill show up sat night

AB
14th July 2013, 04:46 PM

Well done Roofy, look forward to it mate!!!

Winnie
14th July 2013, 04:54 PM

Awesome stuff mate!

krbrooking
17th July 2013, 03:24 AM
SWEEEEET!!!! Have been reluctantly given the go ahead by the boss that does not pay and bryden will be in as well.
What is the last main road that I will be heading towards before which ever camp we will be staying at, as I have never been out that way?

Winnie
17th July 2013, 06:31 AM
The campsite is on Moroka rd just off Tamboritha rd

liftlid
17th July 2013, 09:14 AM
I will be coming up with mudrunner on Friday night/sat morning, long drive from Geelong, it looks like we have to come through Licola as Marathon Rd is seasonally closed, it this correct?

MudRunnerTD
17th July 2013, 10:15 AM
I will be coming up with mudrunner on Friday night/sat morning, long drive from Geelong, it looks like we have to come through Licola as Marathon Rd is seasonally closed, it this correct?

we will probably roll in around 2am via the Scenic Route ;)

Love a good night drive!!

liftlid
17th July 2013, 10:17 AM
I hope they keep the fire going for us!!

Bloodyaussie
17th July 2013, 11:01 AM
I hope they keep the fire going for us!!

Pigs ass!!!!! light your own fire............ no sleep ins for you guys!!

liftlid
17th July 2013, 11:03 AM
Guess we will be coming into camp horns a blazing then! toot toot

Bloodyaussie
17th July 2013, 11:16 AM
Guess we will be coming into camp horns a blazing then! toot toot

Touche !!!!!!!!!!

Winnie
17th July 2013, 11:48 AM
Speaking if fire guys I think if we all bring a bag of wood we will be right?

taslucas
17th July 2013, 12:23 PM
Speaking if fire guys I think if we all bring a bag of wood we will be right?

Guys weekend and they're all bringing their own wood!

Winnie
17th July 2013, 12:36 PM
It will all be covered in snow mate!

taslucas
17th July 2013, 12:50 PM
Haha, oh you ment wood to burn!? I was thinking of other wood......

FanTapstic!

Winnie
17th July 2013, 12:56 PM
Haha, oh you ment wood to burn!?

FanTapstic!
No???

taslucas
17th July 2013, 01:05 PM
Oh so the covering in snow is like an initiation type thing?

FanTapstic!

Winnie
17th July 2013, 01:12 PM
We will be running around naked and it will be snowing. What of it?

taslucas
17th July 2013, 01:15 PM
Awesome. It's a shame there won't be much snow in October

FanTapstic!

Winnie
17th July 2013, 01:24 PM
It is the high country mate, never say never.

taslucas
17th July 2013, 03:22 PM
It is the high country mate, never say never.

I never

FanTapstic!

liftlid
17th July 2013, 08:40 PM
Take a piece of tin to put on the snow then put the fire on it, we had a fire on 600mm deep snow all night, and it only melted to the ground in the morning, I also know of guys who used to put the fire tub on star pickets in the snow. Definitely get everybody to bring a big bag of fire wood (will keep the nudie runners warm!!!). I also have put a second thermo rest mattress under my swag.

AB
17th July 2013, 08:59 PM
Is anyone sleeping in their car or will that be like sleeping in an esky and a condensation nightmare!!!!

Winnie
17th July 2013, 09:03 PM
Don't know about being an esky but it will definitely be a condensation night mare!

Bloodyaussie
17th July 2013, 09:04 PM
George said he was???

taslucas
17th July 2013, 09:05 PM
just leave the window down a crack.

and bugger ya's im not coming to this meet, im gonna wait for the next one (lol)

MudRunnerTD
17th July 2013, 09:08 PM
If ya sleep in your car you get a 7 day Ban on the Forum the week after ya bloody soft coks!!

Swag in the snow OUT of the car ya choppas.

AB
17th July 2013, 09:10 PM
just leave the window down a crack.

and bugger ya's im not coming to this meet, im gonna wait for the next one (lol)

Last winter I camped in the car at sub zero temps in the high country and left the window up.....Pretty much rained inside my car with condensation....Next night I cracked the window next to me and froze my a$$ off but no condensation....Last night on the trip I cracked the front passenger window and it worked a treat...lol

That was a bloody cold night though!!!!

I might just car it up for the bed I think, I could also hug my fridge for warmth!

AB
17th July 2013, 09:11 PM
If ya sleep in your car you get a 7 day Ban on the Forum the week after ya bloody soft coks!!

I don't have swag and you can shove your tarp idea up your imaginery GQ Dazz....LOL

MudRunnerTD
17th July 2013, 09:12 PM
Take a piece of tin to put on the snow then put the fire on it, we had a fire on 600mm deep snow all night, and it only melted to the ground in the morning, I also know of guys who used to put the fire tub on star pickets in the snow. Definitely get everybody to bring a big bag of fire wood (will keep the nudie runners warm!!!). I also have put a second thermo rest mattress under my swag.

If we don't have any tin we can unbolt George's Bonnet while he Sleeps in his farkn car and top down in the snow and light the fire on that!! Hell yeah that'd work! Thanks George!! Your a champ!!

My bonnet would be no good as it has a big arse Bonnet Scoop and that would not work in the snow ;)

MudRunnerTD
17th July 2013, 09:14 PM
I don't have swag and you can shove your tarp idea up your imaginery GQ Dazz....LOL

No Probs there mate! I have the power! Ban coming your way! Figure it out sh1t bag!

Winnie
17th July 2013, 09:15 PM
Dunno daz it could work as an air vent to feed the fire.

AB
17th July 2013, 09:18 PM

It could also be good to put potatoes in foil underneath too. Or even Jiffy fire lighters to get the fire going again in the morning.

Marshmallows, etc.....lol

MudRunnerTD
17th July 2013, 09:19 PM

Yeah but why risk it when George's bonnet is so pretty and White and stuff!! Will be awesome!!

liftlid
17th July 2013, 09:21 PM
Is anyone sleeping in their car or will that be like sleeping in an esky and a condensation nightmare!!!!

You will be warmer in a tent or swag. the only way you would be warm sleeping in a car is to put a big tarp over it............like ..a...tent!!!

liftlid
17th July 2013, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=Winnie;398897]Dunno daz it could work as an air vent to feed the fire.
probably let water in, put out fire and sink!

taslucas
17th July 2013, 09:40 PM
If we don't have any tin we can unbolt George's Bonnet while he Sleeps in his farkn car and top down in the snow and light the fire on that!! Hell yeah that'd work! Thanks George!! Your a champ!!

My bonnet would be no good as it has a big arse Bonnet Scoop and that would not work in the snow ;)

Who said it has to be unbolted from the car first!?

FanTapstic!

Winnie
17th July 2013, 09:42 PM
AB, have you heard from Timbo and Rossco?

AB
17th July 2013, 09:45 PM
AB, have you heard from Timbo and Rossco?

I'm 99% sure Rossco is coming. Timbo was keen but I'm going to say 80%....Still good odds though.

Winnie
17th July 2013, 09:52 PM
I knew Rossco would not pass up the opportunity for a play in the snow, would be good to see Tim again too.

Drewboyaus
17th July 2013, 10:38 PM
You will be warmer in a tent or swag. the only way you would be warm sleeping in a car is to put a big tarp over it............like ..a...tent!!!

The car becomes like a big forking refrigerator. You will be veeeeeery cold in your car.
I've camped above the snow line in sub zero in my little speedy tent a couple of times and it was ok......not perfect but ok.
Insulate from the ground as much as possible.....a good mattress.....good sub zero sleeping bag, thermals, beanie and you're laughing!
I will be bringing my snow tent for comfort......(it's looking more like I will make it).

mudski
18th July 2013, 10:04 PM
Looks like about 50/50 for my attendance now peoples. Not 100% but better than before. Its my daughter 10th birthday and she's having a big one with her friends at our place. I was supposed to help out with dragging all these kids to the skating rink and back and then for a sleep over but the missus saw my utter disappointment when the dates were changed. So she is trying to find someone to come over and help her out. So. If she does, I'll be there with bells on.
I might have a mate with me so we can spoon in my double swag to keep warm. If he doesn't come, Andy your more than welcome to spoon with me baby. Just remember, when its cold, warmth is kept best with no cloths on.... Muwahahahaha!!!

Alitis007
19th July 2013, 10:29 AM

I'll take the ban coz i don't have a swag just swagger ;) !!!

My bonnet has a scoop too mate and anyway i grew up in thommo i could have the gq striped in half an hr and all you'll have left is a badge hahahaha

Alitis007
19th July 2013, 10:30 AM
Who said it has to be unbolted from the car first!?

FanTapstic!

You wait till october mate, you better practice sleeping with one eye open !!

Arabian goggles coming you way hahahaha

taslucas
19th July 2013, 11:03 AM
You wait till october mate, you better practice sleeping with one eye open !!

Arabian goggles coming you way hahahaha

no, YOU wait till October......!

Drewboyaus
21st July 2013, 09:29 PM
Hey Winnie,
What's the plan for the weekend/Saturday?
Is it a base camp or ongoing voyage?
I'm not going to make the Friday night so will have to meet you somewhere on Saturday....

Winnie
21st July 2013, 10:05 PM
Yeah I think base camp will be the go? Glad you can make it Drew.

Doin alright on MotorCulture

Bloodyaussie
23rd July 2013, 09:29 AM
My neighbour just go back last night and stayed one night in that cabin we stopped in at the Woods Point trip we did... he said there was so much snow and the night they stayed in the cabin in dumped 30cm and they could not get out the way they came in as the tracks were in-passable and had to go the long way round.

Showed me some pics and my god there was tonnes of snow!!!

Winnie
23rd July 2013, 09:32 AM
Holy crap, awesome!!!

liftlid
23rd July 2013, 09:33 AM
Don't worry too much this long away, there could easily be no snow in a month, gotta make the call about a week out on change of camp ground

liftlid
23rd July 2013, 09:33 AM
Can you Post the photos?

Winnie
23rd July 2013, 10:14 AM
Don't worry too much this long away, there could easily be no snow in a month, gotta make the call about a week out on change of camp ground

Yep my plan is to go up the weekend before to check how much snow is around.

mudski
24th July 2013, 08:28 PM
My neighbour just go back last night and stayed one night in that cabin we stopped in at the Woods Point trip we did... he said there was so much snow and the night they stayed in the cabin in dumped 30cm and they could not get out the way they came in as the tracks were in-passable and had to go the long way round.

Showed me some pics and my god there was tonnes of snow!!!
Thats alright. We'll just use Georges Patrol to plough through the snow and make a track for us. :)

AB
24th July 2013, 08:42 PM
I can push him through with my td42 if he gets stuck too. Like those eastlink vans when someone breaks down on the freeway....lol

AB
24th July 2013, 09:02 PM
I just saw that post that the 4x4 show is on the same weekend. That is perfect timing for less people up there!

Winnie
24th July 2013, 09:17 PM
I just saw that post that the 4x4 show is on the same weekend. That is perfect timing for less people up there!

Same here. Will be awesome! Can't wait!!!!

Alitis007
24th July 2013, 09:20 PM
Thats alright. We'll just use Georges Patrol to plough through the snow and make a track for us. :)

Then whats the point of fitting a front locker?? Just for show ?? Lol

Alitis007
24th July 2013, 09:21 PM
I can push him through with my td42 if he gets stuck too. Like those eastlink vans when someone breaks down on the freeway....lol

Don't underestimate the POWA of a tb45!!!!!

Winnie
24th July 2013, 09:23 PM

So he can press a button that goes "pitoo"

Bloodyaussie
24th July 2013, 09:30 PM
I wish my sooky weak ass Irish mate could make this one but he is a giant girls blouse!!!!!!!!

Anyway cant wait...!!!

mudski
24th July 2013, 09:53 PM
You guessed it Georgy baby!

Drewboyaus
24th July 2013, 09:59 PM
I wish my sooky weak ass Irish mate could make this one but he is a giant girls blouse!!!!!!!!

Anyway cant wait...!!!

You'd reckon he'd be used to the cold, Northern Hemisphere lad he is.....

Bloodyaussie
24th July 2013, 10:04 PM
You'd reckon he'd be used to the cold, Northern Hemisphere lad he is.....

He reckons when you grow up having to dig your car out in the morning before heading off to school or work it loses its appeal !!!!

If I get a chance to get the pics off my neighbour I will post them up...

Alitis007
24th July 2013, 10:22 PM
You guessed it Georgy baby!

We're gona have to try and break something on hour show pony hahahaha i know i'm evil lol

chester
24th July 2013, 10:34 PM
I run a boys trip every year and was gunna stay at horseyards that same weekend but bugger camping in the snow.Mate does a lot of deer hunting there,he said the snow is thick as at Arbuckle junction.He recommended that we take chains. So now im going up near huggets crossing,so if for some reason you cant get where you want to go your welome to find us.

mudski
24th July 2013, 10:51 PM
We're gona have to try and break something on hour show pony hahahaha i know i'm evil lol
Mines no show pony mate. Yours is. Remember mine only a ST, you have a TI. Anyhow, don't jinx me. Almost certain I am going now, just have to make sure of a few things first.
Will be a bloody good trip though.

krbrooking
25th July 2013, 01:10 AM
Yeh can't wait for this one boys going to be a good one.

Bloodyaussie
25th July 2013, 07:20 AM
I will see what its like next month but I will probably get chains here in Preston as I think it will be a touch cheaper and easier to drop off when I get back...

I have not put chains on in nearly 20 years and back then we had to fit them to a small truck... was not fun!!

Drewboyaus
25th July 2013, 08:04 AM
I will see what its like next month but I will probably get chains here in Preston as I think it will be a touch cheaper and easier to drop off when I get back...

I have not put chains on in nearly 20 years and back then we had to fit them to a small truck... was not fun!!

It's a c*^t of a job at the best of times. On a 33' wheel just adds that bit of extra enjoyment!

taslucas
25th July 2013, 08:17 AM
I've never put chains on but I saw pat callinan do it the other day on tv. He did one tyre at a time, spread the chains out flat on the ground, put a little block of wood in the centre so when he drove forward he knew when to stop then lifted the chains up around the wheel. Is this the normal technique or a clever trick?

MudRunnerTD
25th July 2013, 09:09 AM
I've never put chains on but I saw pat callinan do it the other day on tv. He did one tyre at a time, spread the chains out flat on the ground, put a little block of wood in the centre so when he drove forward he knew when to stop then lifted the chains up around the wheel. Is this the normal technique or a clever trick?

Think I saw that too, nah cheap trick mate. Would work good though.

If you guys don't mind I will fit my 35" Simex Centipedes and engage the front and rear lockers and bring my big foot ;) just cause!

liftlid
25th July 2013, 09:10 AM
And now you don't need to carry spare cv,s

MudRunnerTD
25th July 2013, 09:14 AM
And now you don't need to carry spare cv,s

No but I have so I will ;) may I Never need them. Brad smashed 3 GU CVs at Cliffhanger!

liftlid
25th July 2013, 09:20 AM
I guess you can break anything if you try hard enough

Alitis007
25th July 2013, 10:20 AM
Mines no show pony mate. Yours is. Remember mine only a ST, you have a TI. Anyhow, don't jinx me. Almost certain I am going now, just have to make sure of a few things first.
Will be a bloody good trip though.

Whats Ti got to do with it lol i'll push mine harder that your ST will ever get driven mate and you can take that to the bank hahaha

Alitis007
25th July 2013, 10:22 AM
Think I saw that too, nah cheap trick mate. Would work good though.

If you guys don't mind I will fit my 35" Simex Centipedes and engage the front and rear lockers and bring my big foot ;) just cause!

Better not dig it up too much mate coz i think every one else is running 33's or the rest of us will have sore pumpkins, as in diffs lmao

taslucas
25th July 2013, 10:37 AM
Whats Ti got to do with it lol i'll push mine harder that your ST will ever get driven mate and you can take that to the bank hahaha

Don't worry George, mines a Ti too mate, they're just jealous!

Better not dig it up too much mate coz i think every one else is running 33's or the rest of us will have sore pumpkins, as in diffs lmao

I think he's talking about snow ploughing lol

Alitis007
25th July 2013, 10:41 AM
Don't worry George, mines a Ti too mate, they're just jealous!

Thanks Lucas for saying what i was thinking lol theres nothing like going balls out in the bush in style!! Ti's go harder anyways!

I think he's talking about snow ploughing lol

You might have to make a Mr plow sticker after this trip hahaha

Bloodyaussie
25th July 2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks Lucas for saying what i was thinking lol theres nothing like going balls out in the bush in style!! Ti's go harder anyways!

You might have to make a Mr plow sticker after this trip hahaha

I'll let you know lucas if he is worthy of such a sticker. ..

I have a Ti... can I be in your club?

taslucas
25th July 2013, 11:53 AM

Yours is a Ti? Well thats all the proof we need that they go hard mate:-)
And yes I'll look forward to some ploughing pics (and that's not xxx pics lol)

MudRunnerTD
25th July 2013, 01:55 PM

Mines a Ford! Which makes it Special!

Alitis007
25th July 2013, 01:58 PM

Your in !

Bloody oath i'm worthy, stunning good looks and big bollocks to boot and i'm not bad either :)

Alitis007
25th July 2013, 02:02 PM
Mines a Ford! Which makes it Special!

Special as in Farked On Race Day or Found On Rubbish Dumps or Future Oaktree Removal Device ???? :)

MudRunnerTD
25th July 2013, 02:16 PM
Special as in Farked On Race Day or Found On Rubbish Dumps or Future Oaktree Removal Device ???? :)

i'd go Broken In The Back Yard = BITBY

Its a Ford BITBY!! Tough as Fark!!

Alitis007
25th July 2013, 02:37 PM
i'd go Broken In The Back Yard = BITBY

Its a Ford BITBY!! Tough as Fark!!

I like that one mate, haven't heard it before lol

mudski
25th July 2013, 07:56 PM
Hmm so we need to get chain eh? Thought you only use/ need chains on icy black top?

Bloodyaussie
25th July 2013, 07:57 PM
Hmm so we need to get chain eh? Thought you only use/ need chains on icy black top?

not at all mate..... I will go to that place on Plenty road in Preston. I have to go past that way in the next few days so I will get a price.

mudski
25th July 2013, 09:49 PM
Its gonna be a cracker of a weekend.

Alitis007
25th July 2013, 10:02 PM
Chains ???? Wont the muddies be enough ??

MudRunnerTD
25th July 2013, 10:26 PM
Chains ???? Wont the muddies be enough ??

If the going get really heavy and deep snow then a set of chain will make a massive difference mate. Chains on bitumen work to brake black ice but chains in deep snow give your tyres paddles to move you through the snow if its deep.

You might not use them, if you have them then you have the option though. Your KM2s will become slick in deep snow pretty quick. It'll be fun but ;)

Your call mate, I will have Pedes on and can't get chain big enough so I will wing it. If the going gets tough then the biggest go up the front and th weakest tyre goes to the backache and everyone should get through. You have brand new km2s so you will do ok mate. But if the snow is deep you will see the limits of your tyre. Will be awesome.

AB
25th July 2013, 10:32 PM
So basically what Darren is saying the gq's go at the front and the gu's to the rear or stay back at camp and keep the fire going until the big boys come home...lmao

Drewboyaus
25th July 2013, 10:44 PM
So I think it's Roofy, me and George who'll be coming up on the Saturday. What time does everyone recon they'll get there?
I'd like to meet up with the rest of the crew somewhere around lunchtime so we can get a decent afternoon drive in.

Alitis007
25th July 2013, 10:46 PM
If the going get really heavy and deep snow then a set of chain will make a massive difference mate. Chains on bitumen work to brake black ice but chains in deep snow give your tyres paddles to move you through the snow if its deep.

You might not use them, if you have them then you have the option though. Your KM2s will become slick in deep snow pretty quick. It'll be fun but ;)

Your call mate, I will have Pedes on and can't get chain big enough so I will wing it. If the going gets tough then the biggest go up the front and th weakest tyre goes to the backache and everyone should get through. You have brand new km2s so you will do ok mate. But if the snow is deep you will see the limits of your tyre. Will be awesome.

Sweet as, theres a few words that are resonating between my ears lol slicks, limits and awesome :)

Sliding around on slicks, no dramas
Limits, i like finding them to set the bar higher for the next time and to see what needs to be done to overcome them

Awesome, HELL YEAH!!

Alitis007
25th July 2013, 10:47 PM
So basically what Darren is saying the gq's go at the front and the gu's to the rear or stay back at camp and keep the fire going until the big boys come home...lmao

Oh really mate, we'll just see about that lol

Alitis007
25th July 2013, 10:48 PM
So I think it's Roofy, me and George who'll be coming up on the Saturday. What time does everyone recon they'll get there?
I'd like to meet up with the rest of the crew somewhere around lunchtime so we can get a decent afternoon drive in.

I will be leaving after work so any time after 1pm

Winnie
25th July 2013, 11:05 PM
I managed to sneak the Friday off.

Drewboyaus
25th July 2013, 11:59 PM
I managed to sneak the Friday off.

Lucky bugger.

Winnie
26th July 2013, 06:49 AM
I'll probably head up midday on Friday then. Would anybody come up that time too?

krbrooking
26th July 2013, 07:05 AM
I am trying to work that out so I will let you know bit down the track. Do you mean you are looking to get there for 12ish or heading off at that time.

Winnie
26th July 2013, 07:17 AM
Either or!

Bloodyaussie
26th July 2013, 07:55 AM
I will have Friday off also ... I have no idea where we are going?

Google is my friend..

krbrooking
26th July 2013, 07:55 AM
Well I finish work at 7am fri morn in port melb and was tossing up going straight from there to the meet as I did not want to be driving up the hill on those twisty roads coming into dusk as I have never been up that way if I went home I would be waisting 2 hrs going back and forth.

Winnie
26th July 2013, 08:23 AM
You guys can meet me in traralgon and we can head over together? I know where to go haha. I'm happy to leave early if it suits you Kev.

Bloodyaussie
26th July 2013, 08:31 AM
I can leave anytime Friday so if you want to head down in convoy... not sure when Mudski planned to leave?

liftlid
26th July 2013, 08:52 AM
I'll probably head up midday on Friday then. Would anybody come up that time too?

Do you go through Licola this time of year?

AB
26th July 2013, 08:55 AM
I'll get Friday off too...

mudski
26th July 2013, 09:02 AM
Friday anytime for me.

mudski
26th July 2013, 09:04 AM
I'll get Friday off too...
Maybe we could all meet up and go together. Dunno which way you would go AB, I'm assuming down into Lilydale and cut across to Eastlink?If so we could all meet up at the servo there.

Winnie
26th July 2013, 09:17 AM
Do you go through Licola this time of year?

That was my plan? Is there a reason I shouldn't? Another option is we could go through Dargo and back across but that's a massive drive for you guys.

liftlid
26th July 2013, 09:21 AM
No just wondering what roads would be open, we will be coming through Licola late, if you get phone service it would be good if you could post a road condition

krbrooking
26th July 2013, 09:24 AM
Ok I just had a look and I can get to traralgon for around 9.30 10ish. Does that suit or will that be a bit early for ppl.

Winnie
26th July 2013, 09:31 AM
No just wondering what roads would be open, we will be coming through Licola late, if you get phone service it would be good if you could post a road condition

They are main roads and should be open, like I said I will go up the weekend before so will know for sure.

Bob
26th July 2013, 11:37 AM
Try this for a List of Seasonal Road Closures

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/579661/Seasonal-road-closures-2013.pdf

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/park-management/fire,-flood-and-other-closures/seasonal-road-closures2

mudski
26th July 2013, 05:53 PM
Ok I just had a look and I can get to traralgon for around 9.30 10ish. Does that suit or will that be a bit early for ppl.
Bit early for me. I have to do the school kid drop off in the morning. So I wouldn't leave until after then.

Bloodyaussie
26th July 2013, 07:57 PM
Bit early for me. I have to do the school kid drop off in the morning. So I wouldn't leave until after then.

Yeah I would leave here maybe about 10.30am???

Sir Roofy
26th July 2013, 08:05 PM
no just wondering what roads would be open, we will be coming through licola late, if you get phone service it would be good if you could post a road condition

depending on what phone you have you might be lucky
with service you could always use the phone box

Sir Roofy
26th July 2013, 08:11 PM
that was my plan? Is there a reason i shouldn't? Another option is we could go through dargo and back across but that's a massive drive for you guys.

Trying to use motorculture

hey winnie where are you planning on 4x4ing from macfarlens camp

krbrooking
26th July 2013, 09:02 PM
Bryden has fri off as well so he said he would meet me at work and we will go straight from here, so might have to meet you guys up there unless there is other ppl wanting to meet in taralgon

AB
26th July 2013, 09:04 PM
Bryden has fri off as well so he said he would meet me at work and we will go straight from here

He was a good bloke mate but he's gonna have to bring the mav, not the yoda....lol

krbrooking
26th July 2013, 09:05 PM
He was a good bloke mate but he's gonna have to bring the mav, not the yoda....lol

Yeh I think he will be he is hoping to have the lift done by then.

MudRunnerTD
26th July 2013, 09:08 PM
So sorry where is the Friday Night Camp spot?

I will be heading in over the top I reckon. Need to make a plan though.

liftlid
26th July 2013, 11:21 PM
Not unusual to get phone service from mountain tops, hoping for a Friday road report as we will night run over mountains.

Winnie
26th July 2013, 11:35 PM
hey winnie where are you planning on 4x4ing from macfarlens camp

Wing it!

Winnie
26th July 2013, 11:36 PM
So sorry where is the Friday Night Camp spot?

I will be heading in over the top I reckon. Need to make a plan though.

Mcfaralane's Saddle on Moroka rd.

MudRunnerTD
27th July 2013, 12:22 AM
Is this where your planning Winnie? At the hut listed or is there a camp there somewhere? Dunsmuir Hut or Miliers hut?

taslucas
27th July 2013, 09:08 AM
Is this where your planning Winnie? At the hut listed or is there a camp there somewhere? Dunsmuir Hut or Miliers hut?

I reckon you guys are heading for the area top middle of that map lol

MudRunnerTD
27th July 2013, 10:13 AM
I reckon you guys are heading for the area top middle of that map lol

Yeah have a look at that map again I have dropped a blue pin on it.

I will post it again on this page

MudRunnerTD
27th July 2013, 10:15 AM

See just off to the left of centre

taslucas
27th July 2013, 10:45 AM
Yeah have a look at that map again I have dropped a blue pin on it.

I will post it again on this page

yeah saw that Darren, but did you see whats in the top centre? "playboy" lol sounds like a cool place

MudRunnerTD
27th July 2013, 10:46 AM
Yeah kinda looks like a saddle too ;)

As someone that had rolled out in the snow those Huts sound Awesome!!!!

MudRunnerTD
27th July 2013, 12:04 PM
Just got the roof top map out. Bloody Hema is overrated!

Ok we are smack on the right spot. Sweat.

Drewboyaus
27th July 2013, 12:52 PM
Which Rooftops map Daz?

MudRunnerTD
27th July 2013, 01:13 PM
Which Rooftops map Daz?

Fargo - Wonnangatta Adventure Map

MudRunnerTD
27th July 2013, 01:14 PM

Winnie
27th July 2013, 01:48 PM
Sorry daz I did see your post last night but did not get home until late and passed out straight away. Yep that's where were going!

AB
27th July 2013, 09:35 PM
Rossco coming along too

Bloodyaussie
27th July 2013, 10:54 PM
Winnie (Chris)
AB (Andy)
Bloodyaussie (Jonathan)
Alitis007 (George)
Roofy
MudRunnerTD (Darren)
Liftlid (Gary)
krbrooking (Kev) with a mate
Bryden
Rossco
James+1 (my plumber mate who might come?)

Winnie
27th July 2013, 10:55 PM
Winnie (Chris)
AB (Andy)
Bloodyaussie (Jonathan)
Alitis007 (George)
Roofy
MudRunnerTD (Darren)
Liftlid (Gary)
Bryden
Rossco

Thanks sexy

mudski
29th July 2013, 07:38 PM
WooHoo! I'm a definite yes now, providing my gearbox doesn't spit the dummy between now and then. Looking forward to this trip.
So. What does each car need to bring? I said car instead of people as some cars will have more than one person....Also I think many of us may need some tips on whats needed for a snow trip.

Food? We just taking care of ourselves I take it?
Booze? Nuff said. I'll bring a bottle of grappa as I think we'll need it.
Firewood? Winnie suggested a bag each. This gonna be enough? I will bring my bow saw aswell, not carrying a smelly chainsaw in my car.
Snow chains? This definitely needed?
Preparation for sleeping in the snow? Tips?
Will my three burner gas cooktop be sufficient in the cold temps?

I think on a serious note some things need to be discussed, as we don't want someone getting hypothermia because of no experience in freezing temps. I could ruin a whole weekend for one and maybe for all if something were to happen.

Like a scout, or cub or whatever it is. I wanna "be prepared"...

AB
29th July 2013, 08:00 PM
A bag each should be enough...Rossco and I can bring some good night logs too.

I'm not taking snow chains but they could be needed and suggest people consider taking them. Those with snow chains will go first to pave the way.

I guess we should take care of food ourselves unless everyone wants to do a group cook up....Organised later on.

Everyone needs to ensure there is plenty of support under your bed to keep the cold out. I will be personally bringing a good quality sleeping bag with a dooner and a blanket. I will be sleeping in the car fully clothed, beanie, hoody, thermos and my fire mask and gloves...lol....... I know some of you don't like the idea of sleeping in the car in the snow but I have done this many of times in these conditions and will be fine.

I have thermos top and bottom, beanie, 17 thousand jumpers, singlets, gloves, etc.

On a serious note....Hypothermia can be an issue and first signs of it can be irrational behavior, difficulty in speaking, etc so keep an eye out for your fellow member and please ensure you come prepared.

NissanGQ4.2
29th July 2013, 08:15 PM
On a serious note....Hypothermia can be an issue and first signs of it can be irrational behavior, difficulty in speaking, etc so keep an eye out for your fellow member and please ensure you come prepared.

Sounds like the regular forum members suffer from Hypothermia every night *LMAO*

Bloodyaussie
29th July 2013, 08:19 PM
Sounds like the regular forum members suffer from Hypothermia every night *LMAO*

Just what I was thinking......

Cant we all just snuggle to keep warm?

MudRunnerTD
29th July 2013, 08:31 PM
Note that the low pressure single bottle cookers are next to useless in the snow. A little high pressure like a jet boil or something is a winner.

If we can grab a Hut we will be on a winner too.

Barrier between you and the snow.

Bloodyaussie
29th July 2013, 08:34 PM
Note that the low pressure single bottle cookers are next to useless in the snow. A little high pressure like a jet boil or something is a winner.

Agree with the gas it really struggles... as for the hut how big do they get as it seems there are a few of us coming and I dont want someones feet in my face while I am trying to sleep???

My mate Jose came back weekend before last says he was fine in his sleeping bag??? Last year I was hot in mine??

taslucas
29th July 2013, 08:36 PM
Agree with the gas it really struggles... as for the hut how big do they get as it seems there are a few of us coming and I dont want someones feet in my face while I am trying to sleep???

My mate Jose came back weekend before last says he was fine in his sleeping bag??? Last year I was hot in mine??

what part of them do you want in your face cuddles?

Sir Roofy
29th July 2013, 08:37 PM
a bag each should be enough...rossco and i can bring some good night logs too.

I'm not taking snow chains but they could be needed and suggest people consider taking them. Those with snow chains will go first to pave the way.

I guess we should take care of food ourselves unless everyone wants to do a group cook up....organised later on.

Everyone needs to ensure there is plenty of support under your bed to keep the cold out. I will be personally bringing a good quality sleeping bag with a dooner and a blanket. I will be sleeping in the car fully clothed, beanie, hoody, thermos and my fire mask and gloves...lol....... I know some of you don't like the idea of sleeping in the car in the snow but i have done this many of times in these conditions and will be fine.

I have thermos top and bottom, beanie, 17 thousand jumpers, singlets, gloves, etc.

On a serious note....hypothermia can be an issue and first signs of it can be irrational behavior, difficulty in speaking, etc so keep an eye out for your fellow member and please ensure you come prepared.

sleeping in the car,thats like sleeping in the fridge dont forget your hot water bottle
for your feet and sleeping in your clothes not a good idea tracky daks would be better
then dress in the morning you,ll get warmer quicker that way

AB
29th July 2013, 08:37 PM

Yep the little gas mate disposable ones don't work on 5 degree mornings let alone subzero.

AB
29th July 2013, 08:38 PM
But yeah if we get a hut....stuff the car...lol

mudski
29th July 2013, 08:40 PM

So my Companion 3 burner that uses an everyday gas bottle will be useless as tits on a bull?

Winnie
29th July 2013, 08:44 PM
There is a hut which is a short walk from the main camp sites. I will suss it out the weekend prior

Winnie
29th July 2013, 08:45 PM
So my Companion 3 burner that uses an everyday gas bottle will be useless as tits on a bull?

No mark that will be fine

MudRunnerTD
29th July 2013, 08:48 PM

Yeah Mark it will be fine mate. You will probably have a queue wanting to cook after you ;)

Just carry you LPG bottle in you rear wheel bag or on the roof mate. Not a fan of LPG in the car.

Bloodyaussie
29th July 2013, 08:56 PM
Here are some pics from my mate who slept in that hut we visited at the woods point trip

Winnie
29th July 2013, 08:59 PM
Photos did not work?

Bloodyaussie
29th July 2013, 09:01 PM
There working for me mate.... motorculture sucks balls

AB
29th July 2013, 09:02 PM
Photos fine for me.

Winnie
29th July 2013, 09:13 PM
Yep Motorculture strikes again, I thought it was past this

AB
29th July 2013, 09:28 PM
sleeping in the car,thats like sleeping in the fridge dont forget your hot water bottle
for your feet and sleeping in your clothes not a good idea tracky daks would be better
then dress in the morning you,ll get warmer quicker that way

I would be lieing if I said I was going to be warm...lol. I've done it a few times in the snow and its not too bad. I'm not taking the camper and my tent is crap...lol

mudski
29th July 2013, 09:41 PM
I would be lieing if I said I was going to be warm...lol. I've done it a few times in the snow and its not too bad. I'm not taking the camper and my tent is crap...lol
Meh you get cold, just start the car up and turn the heater on...For the rest of the night :)

AB
29th July 2013, 09:49 PM
I know someone who did that, too drunk to drive home, slept in their car with heater on to sleep it off. This was middle of winter up at king lake......bloody cold!

Problem was he put the cold ac on and woke up 5 hours later beyond frozen...lol....could of got hypothermia from that!

Winnie
29th July 2013, 10:02 PM
LMAO you must be pretty drunk to make that mistake.

Drewboyaus
29th July 2013, 11:38 PM
These are the bad boys you need for the snow......
I have one and I'll bring my big dual fuel, 2 burner stove to make sure we have enough cooking hardware.....

Maxhead
30th July 2013, 06:46 AM
LMAO you must be pretty drunk to make that mistake.

You must be pretty drunk to wake up on someones balcony and not remember where your pants are as well ;) lol

I sleep in me car all the time and never been cold. Also saves lugging around tents and swags.....yeah soft I know!

........on the move.

Winnie
30th July 2013, 07:35 AM
You must be pretty drunk to wake up on someones balcony and not remember where your pants are as well ;) lol

I sleep in me car all the time and never been cold. Also saves lugging around tents and swags.....yeah soft I know!

........on the move.

Touché! Should we out your name on the list mate?

Maxhead
30th July 2013, 07:38 AM
Touché! Should we out your name on the list mate?

Would I miss a Vic snow trip??? NEVER!!!

Winnie
30th July 2013, 07:40 AM
Awesome mate, can't wait this will be a good one

Maxhead
30th July 2013, 07:56 AM
Here's a list of 45 Vic High Country hut waypoints

Bloodyaussie
30th July 2013, 08:02 AM
So are you coming Kris?? as you have not been added to the list...

taslucas
30th July 2013, 08:03 AM

I reckon he's saving himself for October......

Maxhead
30th July 2013, 08:16 AM

I think that's a Yes mate

Maxhead
30th July 2013, 08:17 AM
I reckon he's saving himself for October......

I'll have a couple of months to recover for the October one mate :)

taslucas
30th July 2013, 08:43 AM
I'll have a couple of months to recover for the October one mate :)

That's good then:-)

liftlid
30th July 2013, 08:57 AM
WooHoo! I'm a definite yes now, providing my gearbox doesn't spit the dummy between now and then. Looking forward to this trip.
So. What does each car need to bring? I said car instead of people as some cars will have more than one person....Also I think many of us may need some tips on whats needed for a snow trip.

Food? We just taking care of ourselves I take it?
Booze? Nuff said. I'll bring a bottle of grappa as I think we'll need it.
Firewood? Winnie suggested a bag each. This gonna be enough? I will bring my bow saw aswell, not carrying a smelly chainsaw in my car.
Snow chains? This definitely needed?
Preparation for sleeping in the snow? Tips?
Will my three burner gas cooktop be sufficient in the cold temps?

I think on a serious note some things need to be discussed, as we don't want someone getting hypothermia because of no experience in freezing temps. I could ruin a whole weekend for one and maybe for all if something were to happen.

Like a scout, or cub or whatever it is. I wanna "be prepared"...

This is what I have used before.
Food- best if everybody looks after themselves with WARM simple meals that are easy to cook- I use the disposable butane stove but in cold damp weather it will freeze up so I use a couple of bottles and rotate them as they freeze, you can also poor some of the warm water on them as you boil the billy, don't forget the fire for cooking.
Fire wood- if everybody takes a BIG bag of wood, I will take my chain saw but wood might be wet anyway.
Also take some tin to put the fire on.
snow chains- if you have them bring them work great to break up ice, if possible you want to be on top of the snow not dig in, aggressive tyres can in some cases be a dis advantage, but being bigger is size helps with clearance, snow driving style is similar to sand.
Sleeping- I put my swag in a cheap tent to give an extra air barrier, under my swag I have one of those foam sleeping mats with the foil on them and a aldi thermorest. I also have a thermorest in my swag. sleep in thermals and polatec's I was hot in minus 13 deg. you could also throw an extra sleeping bag over you swag this way.
also take some waterproof tarps for under swag, car engine, etc.

This may sound silly but take enough clothes to keep warm and dry, you might get wet also, and make sure your bedding stays dry. with a good fire, food and a warm bed you will enjoy the trip.

AB
30th July 2013, 09:04 AM

Love ya work mate!!!!

Bloodyaussie
30th July 2013, 09:09 AM
Winnie (Chris)
AB (Andy)
Bloodyaussie (Jonathan)
Alitis007 (George)
Roofy
MudRunnerTD (Darren)
Liftlid (Gary)
Bryden
Rossco
Nisshead (Kris)

Bloodyaussie
30th July 2013, 09:12 AM
This is what I have used before.
Food- best if everybody looks after themselves with WARM simple meals that are easy to cook- I use the disposable butane stove but in cold damp weather it will freeze up so I use a couple of bottles and rotate them as they freeze, you can also poor some of the warm water on them as you boil the billy, don't forget the fire for cooking.
Fire wood- if everybody takes a BIG bag of wood, I will take my chain saw but wood might be wet anyway.
Also take some tin to put the fire on.
snow chains- if you have them bring them work great to break up ice, if possible you want to be on top of the snow not dig in, aggressive tyres can in some cases be a dis advantage, but being bigger is size helps with clearance, snow driving style is similar to sand.
Sleeping- I put my swag in a cheap tent to give an extra air barrier, under my swag I have one of those foam sleeping mats with the foil on them and a aldi thermorest. I also have a thermorest in my swag. sleep in thermals and polatec's I was hot in minus 13 deg. you could also throw an extra sleeping bag over you swag this way.
also take some waterproof tarps for under swag, car engine, etc.

This may sound silly but take enough clothes to keep warm and dry, you might get wet also, and make sure your bedding stays dry. with a good fire, food and a warm bed you will enjoy the trip.

Cheers for that!!!!

So glad you are coming Kris...

Winnie (Chris)
AB (Andy)
Bloodyaussie (Jonathan)
Alitis007 (George)
Roofy
MudRunnerTD (Darren)
Liftlid (Gary)
krbrooking (Kev)
Bryden
Rossco
Nisshead (Kris)
Mudski (Mark) plus Mark

krbrooking
30th July 2013, 09:26 AM
Am soooo looking forward to this trip, it's going to be one to remember that's for sure ( hypothermia or not ). Lol...

Winnie
30th July 2013, 12:49 PM
Should we have a backup location? I'm case there is no snow? I will go to Licola the Sunday prior to check but maybe we should have people scout other areas if possible? I am pretty confident there will be snow but it all depends on the weather the week before.

MudRunnerTD
30th July 2013, 12:55 PM
At 1500m if there is no snow then we won't find it anywhere Winnie. All good mate

Winnie
30th July 2013, 01:25 PM
Fair call mate

MudRunnerTD
30th July 2013, 05:45 PM
wow! 13 Cars!

I call Trip Full!

AB
30th July 2013, 06:40 PM
Really. That's a lot of cars. Communication and organisation is well needed on this trip so we can flow better on the days outings!!!

liftlid
30th July 2013, 06:41 PM
Plenty of people there to help

Winnie
30th July 2013, 06:42 PM
I think we will have to go through convoy procedures too.

Bloodyaussie
30th July 2013, 06:55 PM
I am hoping my plumber mate does not come along but I had to invite out of politeness ... the other members are mostly experienced and should be pretty good.

We all mostly know the drill but should have a little reminder talk before heading off!!!

Drewboyaus
30th July 2013, 07:14 PM
Sheesh, dropped off the list........

Winnie (Chris)

AB (Andy)

Bloodyaussie (Jonathan)

Alitis007 (George)

Roofy

MudRunnerTD (Darren)

Liftlid (Gary)

krbrooking (Kev)

Bryden

Rossco

Nisshead (Kris)

Mudski (Mark) plus Mark

Drewboyaus (Drew) - Satdee arrival.

Maxhead
30th July 2013, 09:13 PM
For those worried and wingeing about the cold...You'll be fine with a good sleeping bag and a swag....thats it!

These are from a few years ago at Lake Eucumbene...-10 to -12 deg C

This is me in a cheap sleeping bag with a woolen blanket over it in a swag

This is a mate of mine with just a good sleeping bag in his swag

Both worm as toast and still catching fish!

Important thing is to make sure you get into the bag properly, zip up properly and you won't have an issue....

Bring it on!

Bloodyaussie
30th July 2013, 09:14 PM
You are easily forgotten mate.....!!!

Just had a talk to Mudski and it makes sense almost to have a travel slash eating buddy as we will be bringing to much of the same gear.... so me Mark and Mark will share a few of the main meals and just get our own snacks for the trip..

Winnie (Chris)

AB (Andy)

Bloodyaussie (Jonathan)

Alitis007 (George)

Roofy

MudRunnerTD (Darren)

Liftlid (Gary)

krbrooking (Kev)

Bryden

Rossco

Nisshead (Kris)

Mudski (Mark) plus Mark

Drewboyaus (Drew) - Satdee arrival.

Winnie
30th July 2013, 09:41 PM
For those worried and wingeing about the cold...You'll be fine with a good sleeping bag and a swag....thats it!

Important thing is to make sure you get into the bag properly, zip up properly and you won't have an issue....

Bring it on!

When I went camping at Kevington it got to +1 overnight and I have a 5 degree rated sleeping bag, I was freezing cold in my swag haha.

Jonathan should we also share sleeping buddies? Just to keep warm nothing gay.

AB
30th July 2013, 09:47 PM

Bring it on!

So you can't just stumble to bed and sleep on top of the sleeping bag???

MudRunnerTD
30th July 2013, 09:51 PM

Bring it on!

Hey Kris , looking forward to seeing you again mate.

The biggest killer in the snow is laying on it. Last time I did it the cold soak up through the 3 tarps, Swag, thermorest, 3"mattress and sleeping bag was nearly crippling. Chilled to the bone and No Escape.

Really need to get the Barrier between you and the snow your laying on right or your in trouble. If there is no snow on the ground we will all cruise through this, if there is snow on the ground then everyone should use what they have.

Buy 3 copies of the Saturdays Age and spread it out in your swag under your mattress will work good too I reckon, if you don't need it burn it ;)

growler2058
30th July 2013, 09:58 PM

Bring it on!

Didn't mention the the 6 bottles of rum though did you

mudski
30th July 2013, 10:17 PM

Bring it on!
That last swag is the same as mine. Darche. but mines a double. Bought it around 15years ago. Still the best swag I reckon. But I need to replace the mattress' in them now. Might go down to Clarke Rubber and see what they got...

mudski
30th July 2013, 10:20 PM
Also I say spooning an man nakeness is allowed on this trip ONLY to keep each other warm IF need be. Not just for your own desires. Not that there anything wrong with that.... But remember, what happens on this trip, stays WITH this trip...I'll just have to rub one out before I leave on Friday though...
Kris will be passed out by dinner time anyhow so he's out...

boots
30th July 2013, 10:26 PM
That last swag is the same as mine. Darche. but mines a double. Bought it around 15years ago. Still the best swag I reckon. But I need to replace the mattress' in them now. Might go down to Clarke Rubber and see what they got...

Carpet underlay is great also mudski .thats what I have in mine .