PDA

View Full Version : The Beginning of my Rear Door Shelf......

WogsRus
11th July 2013, 10:45 PM
So now that the rear light has been installed in the barn door, time for my shelf.

The stuff is a product called AlucaBond, cost me a carton of bear for a massssiivve sheet of it. I got black one side and silver the other. Cant get black both sides

It matches the interior colour quite well.

So far the cost has been

$40 carton of beer
$20 bots form the marine shop, hinges, clips ect
$10 Bunings for some crews and rivets.

Not bad, tomorrow i need to get some plugs to go into the existing door trim holes in the door so i can screw the panel in and fix it tight. I need some soft gell stick on stops, a couple of SS guide wires to make up to hold the shelf when in the down position and some black vinyl wrap for the silver side.

All up under $100 I reckon it will do just fine.

AND yes all the silver rivets and the like will be painted black.

cgm
12th July 2013, 06:43 AM
Never heard of the stuff before. Had a bit of a dig on the internet to read about it. From your pics it doesn't look too thick. Across that size you've got how solid/stiff will it be? Looks interesting, I assume it is very light?

WogsRus
12th July 2013, 07:49 AM
Its supper stiff, its a composite panel which is aluminium, polymer and aluminium skin, its VERY stiff and does not move or flex at all. For the width and length of the table you hardly notice any movement and certainly a lot less then with laminated plywood or similar. I have the 5mm laminate which is just nice and strong and yes VERY light indeed.

The shelf itself is just for cooking and cutting stuff up on and i don't forsee any issues with it but i will report after this weekends trip

threedogs
12th July 2013, 08:41 AM
If you shopped around reckon you could've got the beer cheaper. lol
Looks like the composite sheet used in aviation.
Just needs strip led just above table when up, then when down no shadows from head.

WogsRus
12th July 2013, 08:43 AM
The sheets are used in many uses and aviation is one of them, the ones i use are commonly used on shop fronts etc

threedogs
12th July 2013, 08:51 AM
Need to put a little splash back plate on the door. ???

WogsRus
12th July 2013, 09:02 AM
Yeah i was thinking that but the little cooker i have comes with a 3 sides wind brake which acts like a splash back.

threedogs
12th July 2013, 09:16 AM
Did you make your own S/S lanyards to hold the table down? Plus Jaycar sell strip lighting channel that
you can chop and change to get a light above the work area.

Just remembered I have some of that sheet material here, all my mates in aviation game.
Would be perfect for my rear cargo shelf build.

WogsRus
12th July 2013, 09:26 AM
Already have the light covered

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?21858-Rear-barn-door-light-I-LIKE-IT.......

I will have the lanyards made up today i didn;t get to these just yet.

WogsRus
12th July 2013, 08:52 PM
UPDATE: SO just about finished, still need to dress the cut edges and get some black covers for the screw caps, but other then that, done.

What you think.

WogsRus
12th July 2013, 08:53 PM
BTW sorry for the crappy pics its very dark at 8pm in tassie, will take some more tomorrow in the daylight

Stropp
12th July 2013, 08:58 PM
Looks great mate, I like the look of that!

cgm
13th July 2013, 12:33 AM
Looks great. Have to keep an eye out to see if I ever come across any of that alucobond stuff.

Stropp
13th July 2013, 01:40 AM
Yeh I looked up the distributor in Perth but the number is disconnected!

threedogs
13th July 2013, 03:27 PM
From memory a few styles one has aluminium both sides with 3 to 1 expanda foam style stuff in the middle,
The other has honeycomb in the centre, structurally its tuff as, used for partition boards ,doors etc in aircraft.
Even the buffet trollies are made from it. lucky enough to find a large sheet years ago next to my car at the Airport. lol
Ended up making a 600x300x300 tuckerbox, trimmed in alloy angle, great stuff easy to work with

WogsRus
13th July 2013, 06:59 PM
more pics by the day light. Just need to pain the edges and get black caps for the bolts and screws

Lonicus
15th July 2013, 04:51 PM
Nice work mate. Looks great!

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

WogsRus
15th July 2013, 10:03 PM
tested it on the weekend, worked a charm, cant wait till we do a bigger trip to use it some more. With the left over aluminium i am going to build a wind brake, need to put a hook on the door for rubbish bags and so forth.

ITA_BlackJack
6th August 2013, 09:37 PM
i use the AluCoBond at work and of course inside my patrol :)
I made all the interior panels with it, in a fashion metallic pearl black colour :) it's super light and won't flex, but it's not cheaper. I did use it only cause we can't use all the small pieces we cut from the sheets in building architecture. It's more or less 4.5mm thick, but if needed it's also possible to get the thinner DiBond, same materials but just 2mm.

it had got a nice insulation, panels are never too hot or too cold. Maybe with a thin layer of dynamat they'll be also acoustically perfect?

chipppa
12th December 2013, 02:05 AM
how much weight do you think your shelf could support? ish? really good idea

markusa
26th May 2014, 01:55 AM
Nice idea and work. Looks great! Have already tested it? How does it work?