PDA

View Full Version : Yokohama AT's

country boy
2nd January 2011, 05:00 PM
Hi guys has any one used or currently have these tyres on there truck , so wot do you think of them off road and also how do they go for kms ? cheers guys

Ben-e-boy
3rd January 2011, 01:28 PM
G'day mate.

I have yokohama geolanders on my ute and they are pretty good. little to no road noise, they are very soft compound so they wear quick (40,000 km) but they have good grip on the road wet or dry and offroad as long as its dry.

patch697
3rd January 2011, 02:56 PM
Got soft componds on too & thay don't last long but grip well.

0I wouldn't be going back for another set though.

country boy
3rd January 2011, 08:07 PM
Hi Patch wwhat would you change to next time tyres are due , out of curiosity ? thanks guys for the responses .

patch697
4th January 2011, 09:19 AM
Don't know yet but I better make my mind up soon.....lolol

Ruby
3rd April 2011, 01:12 AM
Did you end up getting the Yokos

Dirty Driver
14th September 2011, 11:30 PM
CB,
I've only recently join this forum, so my comments might be a little late to add value to your decision making process, but I'll pass on my experiencing with the Yokohama brand for you to read along with others who might be interested.

I've run Yokohama's on both my GQ and the wife's Ssangyong. Started off with a SD705/ Gravel Spec. Size was (from memory a 30x10.5???). These were fitted to the GQ after long discussions with a good friend and tyre tech. Went with these at the time as we were spending a lot of time on good forestry roads and the odd grotty little track. These tyres were IMO fantastic for my application. Super stiff sidewall which meant they stood up really well in cornering. Excellent in wet and dry sealed conditions. Excellent in wet, dry and very loose unsealed conditions. Would fill up with mud in real grotty conditions. Wear was also excellent, 65 - 70 km in two years.

Handed them back in and had these new wizz bang Geolanders fitted up. Suppose to be the same spec of tyre as the Super Diggers. First corner on gravel and nearly threw it off the road and into the trees. Absolutely no sidewall stiffness to speak off. No where near as good in grip levels on gravel, but they were excellent on bitumen. As others have mentioned, wear was also a big issue, barely got 40K out of them before they were knackered. Interesting I took them back to the same guys to express my disappointment in the tyre's performance when compared to the SD705s and not only did the discount the new tyres fitted up, but they asked for a detailed report of what I'd done with the tyres and what pressures, weights etc the tyres had been exposed to. This info was sent back to Japan for further analysis as Yokohama were keen to see how their new product was performing in the real world. I actually did received a brief letter from them thanking me for the feedback and then asking a whole lot of really detailed questions. It was a very interesting process.

Anyway after the Geolander experience I insisted they find me a set of the SD705 gravel spec tyres again, which they did and happiness was restored. In fact I had these tyres on the bus wright up until the day I sold it. By this stage it had done some 80k and still had 40% thread left.

Our most recent purchase from this brand was again the Geolander for our Ssangyong. Had to go with these this time as the SD had been discontinued. With some trepidation I agreed to have them fitted based on the fact that this vehicle was not spending anywhere as much time on the gravel.
Have had them on for about 15 months to date. Have done about 25K and while they are excellent on the bitumen and a lot better on the gravel than the first set I had, they are still no match for the Super Diggers.
They just don't appear to have the ability to bite into the surface on turn in or under braking. Likewise their ability to hold the road (gravel) is just not the same as the SD. Have also found them a lot more prone to punctures that the SD.
Wear rate is about the same as the first set of Geolanders on owned, which was not that great.

In summary, I personally would have to think long and hard about buying another set of Geolanders given where I live now and how much time we spend on unsealed surfaces. Having said this I'm lead to believe that they have now released a much more aggressive tread pattern and tyre construction specifically tailored to those of us who want get wheels really dirty.

Cheers
DD

Pete's GU3
16th September 2011, 05:41 PM
MMMM interesting DD, i was looking at the geolander as 1 of my first choices as soon as my current tyres need replacing .
But your right the yokos do have a soft rubber compound but they do stick in the wet , but less mileage , so depends on what you want...!!!

Ben-e-boy
16th September 2011, 06:44 PM
geolanders come with warrenty too. 3/4 tread or more they are replaced for free 1/2-3/4 tread 50% discount and 1/4-1/2 tread 25%discount. I got mine warrented at about 1200 kms because I split the sidewall big time. I went back to the placve of purchase, showed my warrenty card told then what happened (and didnt lie they were split goin down a rocky step up) they replaced it for free
The photo on the left is pretty much the exact point where I did the damage

Gerrit Loubser
17th September 2011, 06:19 PM
I have had excellent service from a set of Yokohama Geolandar AT-S tyres (model GO-12). It wasn't on the Troll, but rather on my wife's Pajero NP, but the Paj is also quite a heavy vehicle. They lasted about 105000 km for us, so I was a little surprised by the posts in this thread mentioning soft compounds and low mileage.

Anyway, the Yokies were very quiet (and the NM/NP Paj is very sensitive to tyre noise), handled very well on wet and dry roads and did about as good as one can expect of all terrain tyres in the rough stuff. Needless to say, the Paj is rolling on another set of Yokohama AT-S's at the moment.

Dirty Driver
17th September 2011, 08:21 PM
MMMM interesting DD, i was looking at the geolander as 1 of my first choices as soon as my current tyres need replacing .
But your right the yokos do have a soft rubber compound but they do stick in the wet , but less mileage , so depends on what you want...!!!

Pete, you're absolutely correct; it does depend on what you want from your tyres!

Folks, please don't get me wrong, I've been a huge fan of Yokohama for a very long time, and yes I do work the tyres hard, but reality has to kick in at some stage and the fact is when I'm shelling out a good amount of hard earned on donuts, I expect to get reasonable value for those dollars. Getting 20K less from one model/ thread of tyre to another while doing the same type of work is a little hard to swallow. I'd love nothing more than to go and put another set of the Yokohamas on the 'trol and I will be looking at them very closely, but if they don't stack up, then I will consider another brand.

Cheers
DD

P.S. the warranty is a fantastic thing too. We too have had to replace/ repair punctured tyres under this system. Has saved me a good deal of coin.

BlackOIL
4th April 2012, 11:57 PM
i gota set om my gu at the moment...... i cant fault them, im going in for a new set when i get the money

iansmqshotyy
6th April 2012, 12:46 AM
i ve sold 100's of at (geo12) and never had any thing but + feedback, with the softer compoumd presure is by far the biggest factor in the road use which is where most wear occours and if memory servs we avg 70k+ on most sets.

oilburner98
6th April 2012, 05:26 PM
I've got geolander ATs, had them for about a year. used to go up to davies creak/mareeba/tinaroo area heaps when we lived in Cairns, the tires are ok on the gravel and very good on road in the wet, and at $270 each I'm happy. Drove from Cairns to Sydney in December 11 and all good. If I was more cashed up I would get the BF ATs but for the price I will get more Yocas.

cambo
4th May 2012, 08:44 PM
I was tossing up between the geolanders and the pirelli scorpion. After a lot of soul searching i decided on the pirelli.
I love the geolanders but just couldnt afford to replace them as frequently. The softer compound although really good just wore out too quick.
So far impressed with the stickability in the wet on the pirelli, will have them out on the dirt soon and compare.

num_301
8th May 2012, 09:39 AM
I've got a set of 265/75 geolander at-s lt's on my gu ute and they're awesome. On the black top the grip is awesome, and offroad they perform very well, obviously no mud terrain tyre but awesome for an all terain through. They bag out awesome on the beach to, get down to 25/30psi and they're bagged out heaps.
Have also been getting really good wear out of them, 50,000ish and I recon they're about 70%ish
If I wasn't going for a set of mud terrains I would deffinantly get these again.

jh5187
9th May 2012, 11:26 PM
hey i know this is an old thread but i sell these things all day long and have used them and go away with people who use them all day long,
great tyres, low road noise, great wet and dry road traction, average around 70,000kms all day long with alot of 100,000 to 130,000 km stories,
if u need any info or prices even let me know,

Robo
10th May 2012, 01:19 PM
G'day mate.

I have yokohama geolanders on my ute and they are pretty good. little to no road noise, they are very soft compound so they wear quick (40,000 km) but they have good grip on the road wet or dry and offroad as long as its dry.

Wear rating is 500.
I've done around 40 ooo asphalt K's on mine and not half worn vet.
So driver input and car set up is crucial
I do alot of round a-bouts and noticed edge wear first, and not a fan em in the wetter conditions.
no idea what there like off rd, haven't been off rd.
check tyre header sub link in this section for further info on tyres dedicated bit for different tyre brands.
cheers