PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting panhard rods

Ben-e-boy
2nd January 2011, 02:37 PM
Hi

I have most of the parts for my 4' lift in the shed, which I am installing myself.
My question is.

When adjusting the panhards Where do I take my measurements. Do I measure distance from the chassis to inside of the hub?? or do I set it up off the truck.

Cheers
Benny

YNOT
2nd January 2011, 02:40 PM
Not very technical but I set mine up by eye. I kept adjusting them and walking from left side to right side looking down the sides of the car until it looked centred.

Tony

Ben-e-boy
2nd January 2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks

I was planning on measuring from chassis to hub on the front then string line the rear and while the string is out do a wheel allignment

MudRunnerTD
2nd January 2011, 05:58 PM
yeah i'm with Tony, i use a spirit level and a good eye though. measuring off the outer edge of the guard works fine. expect though that it will be out a little after your fist big drive as everything finds a happy place.

Ben-e-boy
3rd January 2011, 01:17 PM
Cheers guys. I'll let you know how I go

Neesmo31
4th January 2011, 09:46 AM
I think going off the chassis with a stringline would be a far more accurate mode of measurement. Also agree with rechecking after a drive.

MudRunnerTD
4th January 2011, 05:56 PM
I think going off the chassis with a stringline would be a far more accurate mode of measurement. Also agree with rechecking after a drive.

No Doubt at all. but what is the objective? we want the body of the car to be centrally located on the diffs. +/- 5 or 10mm would be well within tolerance

Most people have a Nissan Patrol with the wide wheel pack at least meaning that they have a wheel offset that sits the tyres close to if not just outside the guards.

Adjusting the Panard will very easily be done by adjusting it then standing 10 feet behind the car and closing 1 eye and looking down the side of the car. Do the same on the other and if they look the same they will be the same and your likely to get it to within 5 or 10mm. If you dont trust your eye then measure back to the tyre from a vertically held spirit level held on the guard.

Dont get to lost in the soup with this, it is NOT Rocket Science.

When your done go get a decent wheel alignment anyways unless your in far northern Papua New Guinea and cant get to a wheel aligner then do it as best you can with a measurement off the chassis.

I adjusted the toe and alignment on the front of my GQ measuring from tread block to tread block on the front tyres, front of tyres, back of tyres and got it pretty damn close. As i said "It Aint Rocket Science" Really.

Good luck

MR

Ben-e-boy
5th January 2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks everyone

Milik607
12th February 2011, 10:04 PM
Guys how many inches you renewed panhardky?

YNOT
12th February 2011, 10:12 PM
Not sure exactly what you mean here Milik, but the higher the suspension lift the further off centre the axles will be. A 5" lift will pull the axles about 3/4" off centre.

Tony