PDA

View Full Version : Coleman HWOD - help please

jack
9th July 2013, 05:00 PM
Hello,

Issue with our Coleman Hot Water on Demand unit. http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/Gear/Cooking-and-Heating/Hot-Water-on-Demand/Hot-Water-on-Demand.aspx

Tested it today and it looks like the pump is not working, and naturally it's out of warranty. Works fine if I use the hose adapter so have narrowed it down to the pump or the internal impeller. I've blown air through the system and can hear the impeller spinning so it's not jammed which leads me to think it's the pump.
Does anyone know if you can purchase the pump unit separately, I've tried goggle and eBay but no luck. My email to Coleman remains unanswered and they don't show a phone number on their website.

As we head away on our extended trip next week Wednesday I'm running out of options. Any ideas?

Cheers

threedogs
9th July 2013, 05:01 PM
does it self prime? could be knackered oneway valve
If I saw it I could tell you as used to service pool pumps
jack of all in the true sense

jack
9th July 2013, 05:09 PM
Hi TD, it doesn't self prime and doesn't even attempt to as far as I can see. The pump is a sealed unit so I might try and power it up separately and check if it runs then, could be a connection between the unit and the pump.
Where is the oneway valve located? If it's in the pump I'll fill the hose and see if it runs back through the pump.

threedogs
9th July 2013, 05:16 PM
Try forcing water in via hose, could just be loose impellor
Medium force BTW

jack
9th July 2013, 05:18 PM
Yeap did that and works fine using the hose connection. Do you know where the oneway valve is located?

threedogs
9th July 2013, 05:23 PM
No I'm only assuming it has one,
if leaking heaps that will be seal between motor and impellor, cheap fix
I Tried Goggling but no break down pics, do you have a spares list in the box.
If it was working now not cant see it being major,

So you think it may be the pump you put in bucket not working, ???

MudRunnerTD
9th July 2013, 05:35 PM
Ummm? Silly question but I have been caught with mine! Is it Flat? Have you hooked it up via 240v or via 12v directly or just via the internal battery. When she is flat it won't work, if you hook it up to a hose you could actually not be seeing work as such, it could well just be a forced cycle.

Plug it in and see if that makes a difference.

MudRunnerTD
9th July 2013, 05:35 PM
Dos the igniter work?

jack
9th July 2013, 05:43 PM
Hi Darren,
New battery and fully charged, igniter works fine and the heater starts but shuts off as there is no water being pumped. Heats up fine using the garden hose attachment and the water is nice and hot which all points to the pump at this stage. I'll disconnect the pump later and try it out by connecting the power direct to it.

AB
9th July 2013, 06:47 PM
It's funny you posted this as mine does the exact same thing.

I force water into the pump by lifting the water container up high and tap the pump a bit and it seems to fire up and work.

I'll keep an eye on this thread too!!!

AB
9th July 2013, 08:02 PM
http://www.kellyscamping.com.au/p/5776754/coleman-hot-water-on-demand-spare-parts-.html

Link above for the pump mate...

Here is a thread on another website about someone with similar issues and how they replaced fuse.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=27094.msg420218#msg420218
Except you said it works whilst hose plugged in so may not be the issue anyway.

jack
9th July 2013, 08:13 PM
I force water into the pump by lifting the water container up high and tap the pump a bit and it seems to fire up and work.
Thanks Andy,
I'll try that tomorrow, to cold outside now - must be -4C already.

AB
9th July 2013, 08:26 PM
Here's a good video to watch too on the impeller for another issue that may arise...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z-3m4Ljwiw

threedogs
10th July 2013, 01:33 PM
That vid looks exactly the same as a Junkers HWS I used to service in most housing commission places.

threedogs
10th July 2013, 01:39 PM
You need to understand how they work, IMO they work like an instantaneous HWS. It needs water pressure to open the "gas part"
Only saying that from looking at the Vid AB put up. Putting in hose it worked so thinking you're on the right track. Seem strange a part has failed.
Brainstorming like this will get to the bottom of it.

jack
10th July 2013, 02:19 PM
OK update, the impeller in the pump ceased/stuck so I sprayed some WD40 in there left it a few minutes then hit it with 12V and that kicked it loose (it's a 6V system).
Now working and just getting the WD40 out of the system.

Thanks for your replies.

MEGOMONSTER
10th July 2013, 06:27 PM
OK update, the impeller in the pump ceased/stuck so I sprayed some WD40 in there left it a few minutes then hit it with 12V and that kicked it loose (it's a 6V system).
Now working and just getting the WD40 out of the system.

Thanks for your replies.

Good work, glad it wasn't f....ed.

jack
12th July 2013, 10:32 PM
Anaconda has these on special at the moment $249 and that includes the carry bag, shower attachment and bladder.
That's cheap, most places are $399 for the unit alone, bag $50, shower $20