PDA

View Full Version : Drain plug diameter?

Cuppa
9th July 2013, 02:03 PM
Does anyone know what diameter the engine oil drain plug is on a TD42i?
I want to make sure I have a spare washer for it before undoing it.

Thanks
Cuppa

threedogs
9th July 2013, 04:35 PM
No reference in my manual Mate it just says "remove"
I'd guess saying head is 19mm so washer would be 15mm.
but that's a guess and of no good

Cuppa
11th July 2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks for looking TD.

According to the the reference book the chap in Autobarn looked at all GQ's & GU's, irrespective of motor are the same. 12mm. My oil is draining as I type. Checked & yep, it's 12mm, which is good, 'cos that's the size I bought. I know most folk use the same washer over & over, I do too, but I got caught once with our bus. did an oil change at the showgrounds at Finch Hatton, & had the washer leak. Local hardware store couldn't help, & it was just lucky that a customer there at the time was driving a mobile maintenance truck from a mine somewhere & had a washer to suit. Now I carry a spare.

Oh & the head on the bolt is 14mm. Whether that's common to all motors or not I don't know.

Cuppa

MudRunnerTD
11th July 2013, 04:43 PM
Believe it or not! i have a TD42 in the GQ and a TD42Ti in the GUIV. I bought a bag of those crush washers a few years ago for the GQ from Nissan. I went to fit a new one to the GUIV a few changes ago just because i had them and It DID NOT FIT. i was surprised. Thats why i did not comment earlier mate, i could not remember which was which. From memory they were slightly too small for the GU.

Go Figure

BigRAWesty
11th July 2013, 06:30 PM
I've always used the oil proof fabric washers. And replace every time.

trying to use MC crappa

Cuppa
11th July 2013, 08:56 PM
Believe it or not! i have a TD42 in the GQ and a TD42Ti in the GUIV. I bought a bag of those crush washers a few years ago for the GQ from Nissan. I went to fit a new one to the GUIV a few changes ago just because i had them and It DID NOT FIT. i was surprised. Thats why i did not comment earlier mate, i could not remember which was which. From memory they were slightly too small for the GU.

Go Figure

That is odd.
The old (copper) washer on mine was a fairly tight fit & needed to be screwed off the bolt holding the washer with pliers & turning the bolt with a spanner. The new, also copper, washer slips down over the bolt easily.

Cuppa