PDA

View Full Version : My GQ ute

Ben-e-boy
2nd January 2011, 02:26 PM
Hi everyone

Here is a few pics of my ute. It's a 96 GQ coil cab with a turboed TD42 Full 3' exhaust 2' lift long range lanks (220L) recaro seats custom (unfinished) center console

I made the centre console out of expander foam. it still needs to be resin coated. I took the seats out and lined the floor with blact plastic made a crude mould out of cardcoard and poured the foam in, then shaped it.

Hope you like it.More pics coming soon

Cheers
Ben

YNOT
2nd January 2011, 02:34 PM
Nice work Ben.
Leather Recaro seats, you'd never want to get out of the car!

Tony

Ben-e-boy
2nd January 2011, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=YNOT;27362]Nice work Ben.
Thanks

Leather Recaro seats, you'd never want to get out of the car!

In hot weather you do. lol

patch697
2nd January 2011, 03:02 PM
Nice one Ben, Im not into Utes myself but I do admirer them all the same.

AB
2nd January 2011, 03:02 PM
Love the console mate, let us know how you go with that!

Love the utes!

NissanGQ4.2
2nd January 2011, 03:09 PM
the console looks like a painful job 2 do, but I do love the idea of using expander foam, what a top idea, I would never of though of that 1.

DX grunt
2nd January 2011, 03:18 PM

Don't worrry about what some people think, Ben (lol).

I eat, sleep and breathe utes. GQ's and GU's. A Nissan ute is a Nissan ute :animierte-smilies-t :Yahoo!::toot::049::animierte-smilies-t.

I'm still waiting - and I emphasise, STILL WAITING, for Admin to consider our request for a ute section on this Forum. LOL

I must emphasise that I am not trying to cause a rebellion in the ranks, or make waves,
but come on man, how can you go past a GQtey or a GUtey, without going
:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:. ???? lololololololol

Ben-e-boy
2nd January 2011, 04:08 PM
the console looks like a painful job 2 do, but I do love the idea of using expander foam, what a top idea, I would never of though of that 1.

The most painful part is the hot glue lol But I'm thinking of trying again I'll do a thin pour over the transmission tunnel to get the shape then pour flat panels and build it like something from ikea instead of 2 big pours, it left a air gap and you can see in the last photo where it broke away

AB
2nd January 2011, 04:33 PM
Don't worrry about what some people think, Ben (lol).

I eat, sleep and breathe utes. GQ's and GU's. A Nissan ute is a Nissan ute :animierte-smilies-t :Yahoo!::toot::049::animierte-smilies-t.

I'm still waiting - and I emphasise, STILL WAITING, for Admin to consider our request for a ute section on this Forum. LOL

I must emphasise that I am not trying to cause a rebellion in the ranks, or make waves,
but come on man, how can you go past a GQtey or a GUtey, without going
:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:. ???? lololololololol

There you go Rossco, new forum created...lol....Now, give me a break, I'm still suffering from 2010...lol

wildgu6
2nd January 2011, 06:32 PM

I'll back you on that one Paul, Not into utes but will give credit where due.

Love the pics Ben, and love the inavative idea used for the console, cant wait to see finnished product.
Even think I got my 6x9s sorted now.
Well done buddy

Cheers Pete

Finly Owner
3rd January 2011, 11:49 PM
Try and try again Ben

Clunk
4th January 2011, 12:02 AM
Nice one Ben, looks good

Ben-e-boy
5th January 2011, 07:17 PM
Try and try again Ben

Yeah,its at the bottom of the list at the moment, it works I can fill it with junk lol. My suspension is priority 1 all I have to do is get my long arm kit, upper adjustables, front shocks, and build the new shock hoops to accommodate my 17inch travel shocks (I'm a flex addict). oh plus install it

Ben-e-boy
5th January 2011, 07:18 PM
Nice one Ben, looks good

Thanks.
stay tuned over the coming moths for more pics.

AB
24th January 2011, 09:08 PM
What a crack up, look at the flex on that thing...lol

Look forward to seeing the build up mate, your certainly on a mission so make sure you do a before and after shot too that would be great!

Cheers!

DX grunt
30th January 2011, 08:40 PM
Nice pics. Excuse my ignorance, but what's the last pic of?

YNOT
30th January 2011, 09:45 PM
^^^^^^what he said.

Tony

Edit; OK I've been looking at that last pic for a while and I think it might be a pic of the back edge of the RHF wheel arch showing where a crack has been welded up.
Am I close?

Ben-e-boy
31st January 2011, 10:49 AM
Close tony it is on the left hand side. Its My quite messy verticle up weld for the lower control arm bracket The white part on the left of the pic is the rear corner of the cab.

Ben-e-boy
2nd February 2011, 06:44 PM
What a crack up, look at the flex on that thing...lol

Look forward to seeing the build up mate, your certainly on a mission so make sure you do a before and after shot too that would be great!

Cheers!

Sorry AB I sorted through the old photos and I cant find a pic on level ground. I have a serious flex addiction and every pic is flexxed, pointing to the sky or to the ground. But here is a pic of the day I bought her home

Ben-e-boy
23rd February 2011, 06:32 PM
Here is the official before shot

Benny

AB
23rd February 2011, 08:58 PM
Very clean mate!!!

Ben-e-boy
24th February 2011, 06:09 PM
Very clean mate!!!

Thanks
When I bought it, it hadnt done any serious offroad work, no scratches on the chassis or any thing..... now I own it..

growler2058
24th February 2011, 10:08 PM
Yep got a soft spot for utes. Nice one mate

Ben-e-boy
19th March 2011, 07:38 PM
Here is a few pics of the reason why I missed out on the cruiser park weekend. I found that both my drive shafts are hitting crossmembers under flex. I made a start on the gearbox crossmember today but I need to bend up another piece of steel and get the welder. For those of you with 4 inches of lift or more and you havnt checked it might be a good idea to.
The top photo is of the front driveshaft. you can see the clean ring where its fouling.
The photo below is the rear shaft. you cant see it but there is about 8-10mm of clearence at ride height, but its only just touching when flexed which s#!ts me coz I just wanna go 4B'n!!!
Cheers
Benny

YNOT
19th March 2011, 07:55 PM
The rear driveshaft is easy to fix, just swap it end for end so the smaller diameter part is at the front.

Tony

Ben-e-boy
19th March 2011, 08:25 PM
The rear driveshaft is easy to fix, just swap it end for end so the smaller diameter part is at the front.

Tony

yeah I was thinking that, but the big shocks arnt in yet there may still hit. The big shocks are about 300mm longer than the ones in there at the moment. dont get me wrong I hope they clear

Dhuck
19th March 2011, 08:37 PM
you comin for a play out at beerburrum?

Ben-e-boy
19th March 2011, 08:49 PM
you comin for a play out at beerburrum?

I'd like to but its a maybe. its next weekend isnt it?

Bigrig
19th March 2011, 10:36 PM
I'd like to but its a maybe. its next weekend isnt it?

Yeah mate - Sunday 27th

Ben-e-boy
28th March 2011, 02:02 PM
After the Beerburrum trip and being let down by my 31 inch A/Ts I have already ordered my Maxxis Trepadores and 15 x 10 rim with a negative 44 offset. to be installed next satrday.

I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dhuck.. you may have reduction gears and lockers. But I will have new tyres and flex from arsehole to breakfast

I challenge you to a dual!!!

Dhuck
28th March 2011, 02:13 PM
After the Beerburrum trip and being let down by my 31 inch A/Ts I have already ordered my Maxxis Trepadores and 15 x 10 rim with a negative 44 offset. to be installed next satrday.

I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dhuck.. you may have reduction gears and lockers. But I will have new tyres and flex from arsehole to breakfast

I challenge you to a dual!!!

Your on buddy. This will be fun.

Ben-e-boy
28th March 2011, 02:30 PM
Nothing like healthy competition

Ben-e-boy
4th April 2011, 05:16 PM
Hi everyone

I picked up some 35 inch Maxxis Trepadores on a 15x10 inch rim with a -44 offset. The 2 major issues are that it rubs on the front guard and one of those 4 way wheels braces cant go in far enough to cover the wheel nut...lol
I think she looks the part now.

Here is couple of pics

Cheers
Benny

AB
4th April 2011, 05:17 PM
It looks pretty knarly though Benny...lol....Looks great!

growler2058
4th April 2011, 05:39 PM
Very very coool

DX grunt
4th April 2011, 06:00 PM
Luvely, luvely, luvely.

Ben-e-boy
4th April 2011, 07:00 PM
Cheers guys

They were originally going to be white rims but they had none in stock.. I think it turned out for the better though

Bigrig
4th April 2011, 09:18 PM
Found it!! Awesome!! Can't wait to get it out again! How much did they toughen it up!!!

growler2058
4th April 2011, 09:31 PM
Cheers guys

They were originally going to be white rims but they had none in stock.. I think it turned out for the better though

Yep I went white but lookin at urs mate that's the crack out with the paint for me

Ted
5th April 2011, 12:08 AM
Sick wheels mate, like the black!

Ben-e-boy
5th April 2011, 06:54 PM
Cheers guys

I'm going to test them out thursday arvo at a quarry out the back of maryborough i'll post up some pics

Bigrig
5th April 2011, 06:56 PM
Cheers guys

I'm going to test them out thursday arvo at a quarry out the back of maryborough i'll post up some pics

Good stuff!!

Ben-e-boy
5th April 2011, 09:17 PM
Here is the first flex-up with the new tyres

growler2058
5th April 2011, 09:19 PM
Oh cool mate

AB
5th April 2011, 09:21 PM
Very cool mate, lookin the goods!...We need a dedicated forklift for the forum me thinks...lol

Bigrig
5th April 2011, 09:23 PM
Here is the first flex-up with the new tyres

Outstanding champion!!!!!!

Clunk
5th April 2011, 11:39 PM
those new wheels look bloomin fanforkincatsic mate, great stuff

DX grunt
5th April 2011, 11:41 PM
Nice one.

Take care with them.

Ross

Ben-e-boy
7th April 2011, 09:44 PM
Cheers guys

Here is a few pics of the first run with new tyres at a quarry near maryborough

Clunk
8th April 2011, 07:15 PM
Great pics mate, still can't get over that flex

Ben-e-boy
10th April 2011, 03:18 PM
Cheers guys.

I'm starting to have second thoughts about putting the big shocks in the rear. i'm pretty happy with at the moment

Ben-e-boy
1st May 2011, 11:25 AM
I got my front lockrite and my rear diff shim in the mail this week........................ OHH YEEEAAAHHH LCMP is gunna be awsome

NO MORE OPEN WHEELING FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigrig
1st May 2011, 12:05 PM
I got my front lockrite and my rear diff shim in the mail this week........................ OHH YEEEAAAHHH LCMP is gunna be awsome

NO MORE OPEN WHEELING FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Outstanding!!!!!! With that flex it'll be unstoppable!!!

nowoolies
1st May 2011, 12:13 PM
unreal flex mate more piccies required though

Ben-e-boy
1st May 2011, 01:00 PM
unreal flex mate more piccies required though

there will be more pics wait till LCMP

Ben-e-boy
5th May 2011, 05:46 PM
TheLock-rite goes in next thursday........... EXCELLENT ITS ALL COMING TO PLAN

Bigrig
5th May 2011, 05:55 PM
TheLock-rite goes in next thursday........... EXCELLENT ITS ALL COMING TO PLAN

Oh Yeah!!!!!!! Top stuff old mate - bring on Landcruiser!!!!!

Ben-e-boy
5th May 2011, 08:01 PM
- bring on Landcruiser!!!!!

dam straight

Ben-e-boy
12th May 2011, 08:54 PM
I was bored.... I think it sounds tuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw-oV4EJbbc

growler2058
12th May 2011, 08:57 PM
HAHAHAHAHA nice one mate bit of a shaker

Ben-e-boy
27th July 2011, 03:37 PM
Hi Everyone

I bought new shocks yeasterday. The old ones were offroad boss 425mm compressed length and 732mm extended length (12 inch travel shocks).
I have stepped up a size on the rear to 444mm compressed length and 770mm extended length (13 in travel) and I only need to lower the bump stop 25 mm giving me a total of 95mm reduction in up travel ( I have already raised the stop on the diff 70mm)
On the front I have stepped down a size to 404mm compressed length and 690mm 11 in travel) extended length as I wasnt maxxing out the 732's under flex.
on the way home yesterday I stopped of at superior engineering to use the travel ramp I can get 970mm high (which is higher than a 44 gallon drum).
Here is the final flex shot on the 732's and a couple of shots of the shocks. The rear shocks are taller than a 35 in tyre

growler2058
27th July 2011, 05:16 PM
That's effen awesome mate sH1t hot!!

Ben-e-boy
27th July 2011, 06:16 PM
Cheers growlers Its getting there slowly

MC97GQ
27th July 2011, 06:35 PM
Hey Ben,

How'd you go with the new centre console, did you get that sorted yet.

I want to see it with stubbies installed.(Please note I do encourage responsible consumption of alcohol)

Seriously though love the ute. What a truck

Mark

Ben-e-boy
27th July 2011, 06:58 PM
Hey Ben,

How'd you go with the new centre console, did you get that sorted yet.

I want to see it with stubbies installed.(Please note I do encourage responsible consumption of alcohol)

Seriously though love the ute. What a truck

Mark

Haha nah thats still unfinished well near enough is good enough atm
Cheers
Benny

Ben-e-boy
28th July 2011, 05:25 PM
Hi

well I put the new shocks in today. I couldnt resist going out to flex it up. I have found a few issues though.
1. the rear is twisting that much now that the bump stops dont actually touch. they miss each other and it ends up bottoming out the shock.
2. I am completly detatching the spring now so I need drop out cones
3. I am off to a silver mine in texas tomorrow and its gunna be hectic to try and fit in all the mods and routine maintenance before scienic rim.
oh well thats offroading for ya......LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a few more pics
Cheers
Benny

Dhuck
28th July 2011, 10:13 PM
Your a mad man Benny

Bigrig
28th July 2011, 10:17 PM
Hi

well I put the new shocks in today. I couldnt resist going out to flex it up. I have found a few issues though.
1. the rear is twisting that much now that the bump stops dont actually touch. they miss each other and it ends up bottoming out the shock.
2. I am completly detatching the spring now so I need drop out cones
3. I am off to a silver mine in texas tomorrow and its gunna be hectic to try and fit in all the mods and routine maintenance before scienic rim.
oh well thats offroading for ya......LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a few more pics
Cheers
Benny

Outstanding ... bring on Scenic!!! Dhuck and I were just talking about it ... can't wait to unleash the fury!!!

Clunk
29th July 2011, 02:31 AM
Your a mad man Benny

surely thats not a strong enough term to use Dhuck??????? lol

crazy crazy flex mate..... love it lol

Ben-e-boy
4th August 2011, 07:41 PM
Cheers guys

Finly Owner
4th August 2011, 09:46 PM
Benny, how much more flex do you need, hahahahahah

Tim

Ben-e-boy
9th August 2011, 09:45 PM
Benny, how much more flex do you need, hahahahahah

Tim

totally addicted to flex lol

frenzy
9th August 2011, 09:55 PM
Bloody Nora! That's some massive flex you've got there. I won't be trying to follow you anywhere at Scenic Rim! LOL!

Ben-e-boy
20th August 2011, 10:16 PM
hi guys

I'm on a bit of a spending spree at the moment Ive bought some spot lights, some rock lights, new head lights, a power steering cooler kit, come monday I will order my 85% reduction gears which I cannot WAIT to get. bring on the crawl

the spotties are 180mm roo lights and the rock lights are the crappiest cheapest smallest halogen light I could find $24.99 a pair and thats not on special haha

I installed the new spotties and rock lights today I havnt wired the rock lights yet as I dont have any cable so I just dummy wired them with house wire to test as you can see in the photos lol
I have some old cheap arse spotties I got of ebay years ago they are going on the head stock of the tray facing out and backwards plus the old cat flood light that will be wired into the revearse circuit
This is all for the night runs so I can see the whole way around the ute

here is a few pics of the spotties and rock lights. the ute has just had a wash too so she is looking super sexy

Ben-e-boy
24th September 2011, 08:03 PM
well well I have been busy today.
I finally have had a chance to work on the ute I have fixed my cv, given it a full service,a wash and finished wiring my rock lights.

I was goin to put my old spotties on the headstock but I didnt like it so I drilled holes in the tray chassis and mounted just behing the rear mudguard. now the whole ute is going to be well lit up on the night runs

Cheers
Benny

Clunk
24th September 2011, 08:07 PM
NIce one Benny looks good mate, gonna put any in the front wheel arches ?

Ben-e-boy
24th September 2011, 08:54 PM
Im thinkin about it acually I have another spare switch

Bigrig
24th September 2011, 08:55 PM
Just need the disco ball now and you'll be set!!!! lmao

Look forward to seeing it lit up in all it's glory!!

growler2058
29th September 2011, 06:53 PM
Cool lights on m y to do list but for now gotta put up with the dolphin torches hahahahhaha

Ben-e-boy
29th September 2011, 07:00 PM
Cool lights on m y to do list but for now gotta put up with the dolphin torches hahahahhaha

ha I wish my old ones were as good as them.. I had to do a big water crossing during the floods and the previous owner swapped the lights for semi sealed. It was a week till I realized the were half full of water and all ther chrome had started to flake away from the reflector ther were as useful as a chocolate teapot i tell ya.

I got mine from autobahn. they are the same as bigrigs

growler2058
29th September 2011, 07:25 PM
ha I wish my old ones were as good as them.. I had to do a big water crossing during the floods and the previous owner swapped the lights for semi sealed. It was a week till I realized the were half full of water and all ther chrome had started to flake away from the reflector ther were as useful as a chocolate teapot i tell ya.

I got mine from autobahn. they are the same as bigrigs

Ok so its a complete headlamp unit? Not just bulbs? any other mods needed to the loom? and million $ Q how much got me a birthday comin up soon could put a wish (beg) list together hahahahhaha

Ben-e-boy
29th September 2011, 08:03 PM
Ok so its a complete headlamp unit? Not just bulbs? any other mods needed to the loom? and million $ Q how much got me a birthday comin up soon could put a wish (beg) list together hahahahhaha

righto the lamp units are 52 each and the bulbs themselves were 76

growler2058
29th September 2011, 09:02 PM
Cheers i'll start my begging :-)

macca86
30th September 2011, 08:38 PM
They are not dents bumps and scratches they are character, personality and style. No point in owning a rig unless you get it out there and your pics say you do nice one hope the cv and that are all good for the springs! I had a cruiser crash sideways into my bullbar on it's first trip with me caved his door a bit and just scratched some paint off my bar and I gave him an earfull!

Ben-e-boy
30th September 2011, 10:16 PM
dam straight.............. yeah the cv is ok it in and it driving... tomorrow Im going on the king's bore track to the teewah pub and back to double island point should be a good day

macca86
3rd October 2011, 08:38 PM
dam straight.............. yeah the cv is ok it in and it driving... tomorrow Im going on the king's bore track to the teewah pub and back to double island point should be a good day

nice one have fun some nice hard hill climbs off the main track there too

jdavy5
6th October 2011, 11:52 PM
Nice ute looks sick:)

GQU73
14th March 2012, 11:30 AM
Tidy ute mate, met you out at glasshouse last sunday, should organise a trip out there again, be interesting to see how different our suspension setups are being that the rest of our utes are exactly the same haha, no better way then to test em out on big red aye haha.

nissannewby
14th March 2012, 02:17 PM
awesome ute mate are the long arm kits worth the coin? i am looking at a set for my ute. So whens the new tray coming :P? love the ute. I own 2 a 99 GQ and a 04 GU both with 4.2 turbo diesels in them. keep up the good work we should get a gq ute forum going haha

Ben-e-boy
14th March 2012, 02:39 PM
Tidy ute mate, met you out at glasshouse last sunday, should organise a trip out there again, be interesting to see how different our suspension setups are being that the rest of our utes are exactly the same haha, no better way then to test em out on big red aye haha..

yeah mate no worries, I work week on/week off give it a month, 6 weeks and we'll go again

Ben-e-boy
14th March 2012, 02:42 PM
awesome ute mate are the long arm kits worth the coin? i am looking at a set for my ute. So whens the new tray coming :P? love the ute. I own 2 a 99 GQ and a 04 GU both with 4.2 turbo diesels in them. keep up the good work we should get a gq ute forum going haha,

I reckon they are worth it, not trying to brag but the ute has shown up a few rigs and surprised a lot of people and I put it down to the long arm kit and the trepadores

Bigrig
14th March 2012, 05:02 PM
its settles then one weekend we will have a gq ute-a-thon all hard core no chicken tracks.

I'll be there to see that one!!!! Would be insane!!!

GQUTERUS
14th March 2012, 05:13 PM
How hardcore are we talking? Like the Full powerline track at Glasshouse, or widow maker haha

Love the ute Benny, When i rocked up last weekend i was very jealous. I sat there just looking and looking at all the goodies you've worked hard for. Great work dude.

nissannewby
14th March 2012, 05:24 PM
the whole lot maybe even make our own.

Tweakedoffroad
14th March 2012, 05:45 PM
Great looking rig mate
Hope you guys get plenty of pics and videos when this happens

GQU73
14th March 2012, 08:05 PM
Sh!t yeah sounds good don't think I'll be doing widow maker haha but I'll give just about everything else a crack