PDA

View Full Version : Rear barn door light, I LIKE IT.......

WogsRus
8th July 2013, 10:27 PM
Ok so i figured i would install a rear barn door light to help me see in the dark when unpacking the truck and as i will be building a rear door shelf, this will do just nice.

The light is from whit worth marine, cost $34 all up.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=49498&intAbsolutePage=1&LinkedItem=49499&search123=led%20light

I ran the wiring concealed along the factory loom and connected it to the factory interior lighting, it does not however switch off with the door lights, which was my fault as i did not run a separate circuit negative. Never mind the light has an inbuilt switch.

It gives out plenty of light, can swivel around and matches the car paint too. It draws buga all power so even off the normal battery will go for ever

What you all think?

P4trol
8th July 2013, 10:33 PM
Can you dim it or make it yellow?

White is great to see by, but attracts the insects. If you can dim it or have it yellow, it attracts less insects.

WogsRus
8th July 2013, 11:28 PM
Nope but here in tas the night life is not as prolific as on the big island. I can easally make it dimable.

P4trol
9th July 2013, 06:31 AM
Fair call.

threedogs
9th July 2013, 07:31 AM
Yeah I like well built, Whitworth do some great stuff not just Marine.
You could always put some yellow celephane under lens cover if insects
get too annoying.

How did you fix it double sided tape or screws???

WogsRus
9th July 2013, 08:49 AM
It screwed in and locktighted just so that it does not fall out. Didn't think about the celephane good idea

GQ TANK
17th July 2013, 12:08 AM
When we done healys truck we run a strip of the led light in the same place and mounted a switch in the reverse light cover at the top of the door - worked a treat. We run a separate power lead.

I have used a siamllr mod, but use the demister light with a couple of switch's. One for a rear work light nd one for the internal light.

I have to turn on the demister at the front to activate the rear lights

TheFlyingBadger
17th July 2013, 02:02 AM
that's good. like it...

oncedisturbed
17th July 2013, 02:13 AM
looks good. had a gander at the webpage, they appear to have some pretty good prices of their gear

mopper
22nd July 2013, 07:22 PM
good idea mate , must do it myself Thank you

mortn
6th August 2013, 07:58 PM
Led strips? Anyone done that to the ceiling?

ocbgavin
25th November 2014, 08:46 PM
Looking to do that on the weekend, will post some pics

4bye4
25th November 2014, 10:27 PM
Good idea. May try to do something similar.