PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Mechanic - Expressions of Interest :)

nissannewby
8th July 2013, 10:07 PM
Hi everyone.

This reared its head in another thread. Basically I do like the idea of travelling to help out and doing what I like to do. However I still need it to be profitable.

So put it out there guys, if a service like this was available would anyone use?

Thanks for all the input guys and thanks for all the appreciation.

Cheers.

jack
8th July 2013, 10:26 PM
In a heartbeat mate. Nothing needs doing now but after seeing you in action on Healys ride and from the wrap Jas and RLI give you I'd trust you.
Good luck and hope it works out.

Clunk
8th July 2013, 10:47 PM
I'm sure folk would mate, and if you lived over this way, I'd be wanting your services to go over my GQ with a fine tooth comb. Unfortunately I can't yet afford your airfare ;)

Time for a Motorculture updated app surely, seeing as this version is still substandard!!!!????

NissanGQ4.2
8th July 2013, 10:50 PM
I would certainly use you if you were in Sydney

Good luck with it

mudnut
8th July 2013, 11:21 PM
Is it possible to get a contract for the RACQ roadside assist?

nissannewby
8th July 2013, 11:29 PM
Is it possible to get a contract for the RACQ roadside assist?

That's not really the sort of thing I'm looking at, due to the fact I would be travelling all over eastern Australia it will need to be planned work. Things like accessories, turbo fit ups and tuning, mechanical work, servicing (major and minor) and even the bigger jobs if they were to come up (clutch, diffs, engines etc)

mudnut
8th July 2013, 11:43 PM
To bad, mate, because the young local bloke that turned up to get me going broke more than he fixed. :(

nissannewby
8th July 2013, 11:46 PM
To bad, mate, because the young local bloke that turned up to get me going broke more than he fixed. :(

I mean if Im in the area its not out of the question but it will be hard in some instances.

megatexture
9th July 2013, 01:10 AM
Rates depending I'd be keen mate. But not being my daily driver, won't be in need of a service very regular.
You may be slow to start but you just need to get a client base and word of mouth happening

ozzyboy
9th July 2013, 04:10 AM
know much about 12 volt mate? will be looking for a set up for the gq / camper soonish

ozz

Ben-e-boy
9th July 2013, 06:36 AM
Dont skimp on the hourly rate. Diesel fittes arnt cheap

Winnie
9th July 2013, 06:41 AM
I need a few minor things done at the moment but because I live in the sticks you'd have to charge me an absolute shitload to be able to make a profit.

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

lhurley
9th July 2013, 07:07 AM
I would say there is a market there. There isn't really anything else similar. You have the big players, arb/tjm, but nothing for the average Joe who can't afford a big brand name product. I would be starting some what local, eg only a couple hours either side, then get your name out, once there is a demand then go interstate. Just my 2c

threedogs
9th July 2013, 07:24 AM
Apollofish said it in his post , trust, plus how many out there have history from new and
only get their Patrol serviced by one guy, not the apprentice, no offence to apprentices.
Very hard to find a trust worthy mechanic as well, You may need to limit what you do to services,
brakes and front ends. As gearbox rebuilds may have to be tackled differently, as long as you manage your time
you should be fine, word of mouth is a great gift. Good luck time is now yours

Bloodyaussie
9th July 2013, 08:25 AM
Rates depending I'd be keen mate. But not being my daily driver, won't be in need of a service very regular.
You may be slow to start but you just need to get a client base and word of mouth happening

It may also be viable to travel to Sydney at first with a few days work lined up or other states until you can build up a decent client base...

It took me a couple of years to move most of my work from Toorak to over my way.. I kept the good jobs over there and only go over mostly on Monday and Tuesdays and then the rest of the time I am nearer to home.

Even down here where we really appreciate a good mechanic you could work for a week make some decent money then head back??

You know you are always welcome to sleep at Rossco's and eat Fruit loops... ha ha!!! Think about it sweat cakes!!!

Sir Roofy
9th July 2013, 11:59 AM
What a great idea mat id use your service for sure,but remember once it takes off
you wont be home much like tony
what if you set up work shop days like healys,see what they want done,you might be in one place for a couple of days to a week
wont be long and you,ll be the flying machanic

Cuppa
9th July 2013, 08:08 PM
If I were in the position of needing to pay a local workshop to do some work, with the alternative being able to have you do it, you would be my choice on the proviso that it was work that could wait until you could do it. If I had a local workshop with whom I had a good trusting relationship that might be different.

I would love for you to be able to make a living from something you love doing, it's everyone's dream, but to an extent I'm going to play devils advocate......

I'm not saying it would be a problem, but it is not uncommon for friendships to be placed under pressure when money is involved - you should bear this in mind when deciding what to do.

It's hard to know whether you should be adventurous or cautious Mat. There is no doubting that you have already established a very positive reputation on the forum, but whether that would translate into providing you with a living wage or better remains up in the air. If you can do it without needing to invest too much upfront, I'd reckon you could certainly get a fair bit of work, but a job here & a job there is not the same as a job every day. I guess it depends what sort of expectations you might hold. That all said, there is also the possibility that as word of mouth spreads you would get more & more work, but there are no guarantees.

Fwiw, someone with your skills, & prepared to travel would get plenty of work in outback towns & stations. Many towns just can't get skilled workers & I don't doubt for a moment that if you were there face to face, that one job would quickly lead to another & your problem would soon become being able to leave town! I don't know your family commitments, but if you are free to travel maybe a combination of outback & forum work could be worthwhile, at least to start with???

If you can see yourself as a teacher, something similar to what Roofy has suggested could possibly prove popular. Pre-arranged workshops, with limited numbers to teach folks how to do stuff to their vehicles. Suss out what is wanted by forum members, & then do a 'tour'. Smaller numbers make it more worthwhile for those attending, but attendance fees would have to be higher. Research needed to get the balance right.

I suspect a mix of different approaches could be a good way to go.

Cuppa

nissannewby
9th July 2013, 10:02 PM
know much about 12 volt mate? will be looking for a set up for the gq / camper soonish

ozz

Yes mate. Know 12 and 24v well, maybe not quite like yendor but I do all the wiring on all my cars myself.

nissannewby
9th July 2013, 10:07 PM
I would say there is a market there. There isn't really anything else similar. You have the big players, arb/tjm, but nothing for the average Joe who can't afford a big brand name product. I would be starting some what local, eg only a couple hours either side, then get your name out, once there is a demand then go interstate. Just my 2c

It may also be viable to travel to Sydney at first with a few days work lined up or other states until you can build up a decent client base...

It took me a couple of years to move most of my work from Toorak to over my way.. I kept the good jobs over there and only go over mostly on Monday and Tuesdays and then the rest of the time I am nearer to home.

Even down here where we really appreciate a good mechanic you could work for a week make some decent money then head back??

You know you are always welcome to sleep at Rossco's and eat Fruit loops... ha ha!!! Think about it sweat cakes!!!

This is the way I'm thinking. If I can spend a few days, a week etc at a given location and try and plan the work like that. Kinda have like month cycles as such for eg 1 week in bris, 1 in syd, 1 in melb etc.

Lonicus
9th July 2013, 10:13 PM
Would that be your long term plan mate, or do you see yourself wanting to be based closer to home on a permanent basis?

Just thinking that if you spread yourself too thin and can only get back to each location every three or four weeks people may not be able to wait, or time their services/repairs to coincide with your visits. In the long run you might find a lack of repeat business, not due to workmanship but availability.

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

nissannewby
9th July 2013, 10:21 PM
Guys this is awesome feed back, exactly what I'm looking for. This is a big decision to make. I have a vehicle and I have a lot of tools so am basically right in that department.

Lonicus very good point, I think organisation wise this will vary on what people want and when, like if I'm in vic and don't get any calls for any other work somewhere else I could stay and take on other jobs. Also as with many businesses these days sometimes I may get very busy, but what I'm wanting to try and do (from experience) is keep the customer in the loop, so if its gonna be 2 weeks before I get to them then that's what they will get told.

NP99
10th July 2013, 12:00 AM
We have to do the snorkel mate before you get to popular!

89gqpatrol4x4
10th July 2013, 05:40 PM
Still keen for that turbo after I'm married in late august, so that's a definite job, plus a few other jobs that have had to wait until after the big day.

Bloodyaussie
10th July 2013, 05:53 PM
I just want a cuddle.......!!!

growler2058
10th July 2013, 06:32 PM
I just want a cuddle.......!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

MEGOMONSTER
10th July 2013, 07:07 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Back on topic please. This is a serious thread. I'll report you, if your not careful.
Just cos your on holidays, doesn't mean we give you any Leeway.

NP99
11th July 2013, 02:34 AM
Why about a mobile service in the SE Qld region like lube mobile?

Bloodyaussie
11th July 2013, 08:15 AM
Could you also put your details out there to all the diesel places as a contractor when they might be under the pump or a man down??

NissanGQ4.2
11th July 2013, 06:28 PM
Have renamed and moved this thread into the employment section

Cheers

Toddie

AB
11th July 2013, 06:55 PM
Without putting a damper on things please do not say you will use Matty's services if you do not intend on using his services. Not that anyone has done this already, just for the future of this thread that's all.

If you post here saying you would use him if he will be in your area than please understand he will be relying on your post to plan and organise his route and work based on these replies over the next few weeks/months/years.

megatexture
11th July 2013, 07:17 PM
Without putting a damper on things please do not say you will use Matty's services if you do not intend on using his services. Not that anyone has done this already, just for the future of this thread that's all.

If you post here saying you would use him if he will be in your area than please understand he will be relying on your post to plan and organise his route and work based on these replies over the next few weeks/months/years.

Yea that's why I mentioned its not my daily and services will be far between (09 with 60,000 on the clock) but good point to make there ab.

AB
11th July 2013, 07:19 PM
Yeah man, nothing to do with anyone's posts but we have shiploads of visitors these days and a lot of people may say yeah yeah yeah once he puts up the official thread and Matty organises everything, flies down to another state and 80% of the people pull out thats all. I would hate to see that!

BigRAWesty
11th July 2013, 07:26 PM
Yeah man, nothing to do with anyone's posts but we have shiploads of visitors these days and a lot of people may say yeah yeah yeah once he puts up the official thread and Matty organises everything, flies down to another state and 80% of the people pull out thats all. I would hate to see that!

Bloody oath. That's why I haven't. As much as I'd love to get Matt down here I just can't afford it.
Who knows, a few months can change a lot..

Not to make you sound like a desperate corner worker... ;) but have you out this up else were? Maybe like a t.. like a toy.. a to.. a forum for those wanna be 4x4's.. :D it would generate more work i would think...

trying to use MC crappa

AB
11th July 2013, 07:33 PM
If I was Matt I would start an official thread here once numbers are established. Do the first run (even if just local)....You QLD blokes should think about this thread if you are in need of a service soon or fix up to get the ball rolling.

I would then get members to report back here in the official thread (no banter in that official thread) about how great he is and how he found solutions to problems that other mechanics couldn't find (or whatever), etc and then use that thread to link to when visiting other forums as a referral base system to kick off other models of 4wd's, etc....Bobs your aunty, build a mammoth network of mobile mechanics for 4wd owners.

I would stick with 4wd forums for now as an exclusive mobile mechanic who knows 4wd's inside and out and knows how these cars can be treated and what potential things go wrong or get worn when offroad, etc.

Worlds your oyster Matty, could be a winner mate!!!

NP99
11th July 2013, 09:04 PM
I recommend Mat without hesitation. He has worked on my vehicle until he was happy with the finished product and was more than willing to share knowledge. If you get the chance to have Mat do work for you, you won't be disappointed.

Punderhead
11th July 2013, 10:51 PM
Can't say I have any jobs that I need doing ATM, but good luck with your endeavour matt.

Cheers

DX grunt
12th July 2013, 12:42 AM
Matt for PM. lol.

Seriously, all the best with your new endeavour. There must be government grants available and govt people to help you set up a business - for free?

Take care over there.

Rossco

89gqpatrol4x4
12th July 2013, 06:18 PM
if this is a goer and I hope it is then I'm a definite for his services!

taslucas
12th July 2013, 06:26 PM
How much work do I have to line up to get your rrrs to Tassie?

FanTapstic!

nissannewby
12th July 2013, 08:38 PM
How much work do I have to line up to get your rrrs to Tassie?

FanTapstic!

I would say a weekends worth.

liveyk7
12th July 2013, 10:36 PM
Mate i would definitely use your services. and also man would even pay to get you down here to give me some lessons on basic stuff that i can do myself to the troll.. say a 2 day DIY course or something.. ;)
I having been trying to figure out how to clean the MAF sensor now for about 2 hours with no luck..lol

liveyk7
12th July 2013, 10:39 PM
Matey, You could also do 4WD workshops etc for travellers who are planning to travel a lot ie Cape York trips. Cheaper checkups than going to a mechanic if they come in a group etc. Checklists etc.. Just thinking outside the box.. Might sound stupido!

TPC
13th July 2013, 02:06 AM
I know SA is too far for you but if you had a reason to come here I would have a few things on my car to do.

nissannewby
13th July 2013, 09:52 AM
If I was Matt I would start an official thread here once numbers are established. Do the first run (even if just local)....You QLD blokes should think about this thread if you are in need of a service soon or fix up to get the ball rolling.

I would then get members to report back here in the official thread (no banter in that official thread) about how great he is and how he found solutions to problems that other mechanics couldn't find (or whatever), etc and then use that thread to link to when visiting other forums as a referral base system to kick off other models of 4wd's, etc....Bobs your aunty, build a mammoth network of mobile mechanics for 4wd owners.

I would stick with 4wd forums for now as an exclusive mobile mechanic who knows 4wd's inside and out and knows how these cars can be treated and what potential things go wrong or get worn when offroad, etc.

Worlds your oyster Matty, could be a winner mate!!!

Yeah that's why this is an EOI thread. There is still a lot to organise if I go down this path. I will probably have to get an ABN to keep tax in check and be able to claim all I can. Also need to try and get the ute setup so that I can sleep and work out of it. Its not something that's gonna happen soon. Once a bit of researching and costing is done I can then make my decision from there.

There is a slight possibility I could do a small run if I don't have any work by the 2 weekend of august.