PDA

View Full Version : Vic roads and 6.5 engine change

Ian2011
8th July 2013, 04:27 PM
Has anyone out there had any issues with Vic roads when trying to get their engine number changed for registration purposes, seems they don't recognise any paperwork issued by that mob that change engines in WA. Been told I need a VASS certificate and the whole vehicle inspected by some engineer at an unknown cost. PS, anyone know a inspector in Wodonga

threedogs
8th July 2013, 04:38 PM
your local RTA branch should know of engineers in your area, he'll need to inspect your 4x4 and then certify for any work done.
ring first cause you may be in for a shock. prices of $4-5k not out of the question, let me know via PM if you get stuck.
I take it you got no paperwork from Brunswick.

Ian2011
8th July 2013, 04:58 PM
Only a blanket letter from the WA government that says the modification is allowed, apparently the closest engineer to me is in Towong, 80klm away and I don't he wants to look at it, we had a heated discussion after he said he needed to inspect all other modifications as well, and said my 2 in lift required an engineering cert as well. I did hear about the 5-6000 cost, seems ridiculous for someone to do an inspection. Not sure how you can help me out but any help is appreciated.

MudRunnerTD
8th July 2013, 05:10 PM
Be prepare to drive to Melbourne, it could save you a HEAP OF CASH!

Give Brett a call at 4x4Obsession in Melton mate or John Bider at Biders in Cranbourne. Either will point you straight and be able to handle your Engineering.

Good luck.

Ian2011
8th July 2013, 05:45 PM
Just so happens I am going to Melb in a few weeks, this might just work out, thanks for your help Mudrunner

FNQGU
9th July 2013, 07:23 PM
Ian, this isn't much help as I am in Qld, but the process was straight forward here. It was inspected and approved, along with the long range fuel tanks, for around $200. Brunswick should be able to refer you to an engineer in Vic who handles their conversions regularly. I would suggest you check with them first. 5-6 grand seems way out for a vehicle inspection!

Ian2011
9th July 2013, 10:16 PM
been on phone to brunswicks today ben, still waiting for them to supply that preferred engineer

FNQGU
17th August 2013, 08:49 PM
Not good mate. Did you get this resolved?

Ian2011
18th August 2013, 05:02 PM
Yes, all sorted now. Got that nice blue plate and Vicroads are happy. Now I can put back all the barwork I had to take off to get the car down to a respectable weight, back on.

Irish
29th December 2013, 12:49 PM
Who did you end up getting to engineer it mate?

Ian2011
29th December 2013, 03:52 PM
A bloke named Archie Robertson. I can give more details if you require

Irish
29th December 2013, 03:55 PM
That would be cool mate, how much did you get stung for(if you dont mind me asking)?

threedogs
29th December 2013, 04:02 PM
The other guy in Towong was trying to stitch you as a 2" lift doesn't require engineering.
Thinking $800 would be more ball park, Cuppa was $1500 I think for GMV upgrade, not sure if
pricing is set across the board or they charge what they like. They take in things like travel etc

Ian2011
29th December 2013, 04:20 PM
That's what I was trying to tell him but we ended up in a slinging match over who was most qualified to answer the question, apparently as a mechanic I don't know s#$t.

Irish, his phone number is 03 9729 9776 or Mob 0408 373 536 and he is located at 15 Edelmaire st, he has a workshop there at the back of some other buildings and does inspect a lot of sweet looking mustangs . The cost was 880 for the inspection, but had to get additional heat guard around the brake pipes on the right hand side plus labour which cost a little more. They will check the car for full roadworthiness so try to solve any other issues prior to going and seeing them. I didn't have a GVM upgrade but wish I had.

janderson
29th December 2013, 05:28 PM
The other guy in Towong was trying to stitch you as a 2" lift doesn't require engineering.
Thinking $800 would be more ball park, Cuppa was $1500 I think for GMV upgrade, not sure if
pricing is set across the board or they charge what they like. They take in things like travel etc

I paid $800 for mine

Irish
29th December 2013, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the info Ian, much appreciated.

Ian2011
30th December 2013, 09:39 AM
No worries Irish, good luck