PDA

View Full Version : manual to auto swap

BLKWDW
7th July 2013, 02:33 PM
Thinking of selling or swapping my manual gearbox from my td42 patrol for an auto. How strong and good are the auto's? Biggest reason for the thought is having now got a bench seat in the front changing gears with my eldest daughter there is annoying can be done but annoying and having to have her legs squashed to one side aint the best for her either. Having the auto means she can hav legs either side of the tunnel and be comfortable.

Biggest concern i have is the fuel economy. How much worse will it be if at all.

nissannewby
7th July 2013, 11:56 PM
The autos are pretty tough and can be strengthened further. I would grab a reco one or atleast rebuild one before fitting it. I think you may need to add a TPS as well to the fuel pump (not 100% on this). You will need a flex plate for a TD you can get them custom made or get them through Nissan.

I wouldn't expect fuel economy to change to much. My father and I drove his factory auto TD42 back from Adelaide to Brisbane and it used between 11-12/100. It has a very mild turbo setup on it which im hoping to play with one day :)

Wizard52
17th July 2013, 12:56 PM
Article (or add) in 4X4A mag today about replacing manual with auto for 4.2D's.
Perhaps when I'm old and useless (more than usual) I'll consider this change instead of upgrading to new vehicle.