PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing problem

Ferret
7th July 2013, 09:02 AM
Hey guys I was looking to see what I need due to differential oil getting into my wheel bearing what kit will I need to stop this from happening I have no idea on what I should be purchasing .... Do I get a wheel bearing kit will this have the gasket and all that stuff to stop that problem or does it fall into the swivel hub kit I don't have a clue on the differences as you can tell I probably not even making sense I'm that unsure off lol thanks guys all the help will be good .......

megatexture
7th July 2013, 10:23 AM
I think its the bearing kit but not 100% I'm sure someone will confirm however if funds permit.. Couldn't Hirt to do the swivel hub while your at it and replace diff oil at the same time while its apart.

threedogs
7th July 2013, 10:32 AM
X 2 with MT why not give the entire front end a birthday with new bearings, seals and fluids

Ferret
9th July 2013, 02:51 AM
i was thinking so to may aswell have a double bday with it thanks

GQ TANK
12th July 2013, 09:37 PM
You have more then 1 seal leaking.

The axle seal behind the cv - must be leaking to let diff oil into the cv. -

The grease seal in front of the cv

And the rear wheel bearing grease seal.

How long have you had the problem - is the cv noisy when in 4wd?. Do you have wheel wobbles?

Depending on how long the oil has been present - you might be looking at a wheel bearing kit, a king bearing kit and a CV. - ouch

To test -

CV - noisy in 4wd - clicking noise
Wheel bearing noise

jack the front wheel - grub the tyre at 12 - 6 puch backwards and forwards - movement - suspect king bearings - (can also be wheel bearing). Now hold the try at 3 & 9 push backwards and forwards - movement - loose or staffed wheel bearings.

NP99
12th July 2013, 11:41 PM
Buy the combined king and wheel bearing kit, it's cheaper!

GQ TANK
13th July 2013, 10:41 PM
I got mine from bursons as I could return what I did not use

MudRunnerTD
13th July 2013, 10:53 PM
Swivel hub rebuild kit combined with a Wheel Bearing kit will have a complete front end rebuild. All seals and all bearings.

Terrain Tamer are a good brand. Replace the lot if your getting busy. Don't fit half the kit! Fit it all.

MudRunnerTD
13th July 2013, 11:04 PM
This is a bargain though and includes the swivel hub kit and the wheel bearings. You will require Grease and Rags and about 10 hours

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Patrol-GQ-GR-Y60-Swivel-Hub-With-Quality-Japanese-Wheel-Bearings-Kit-/360683727586?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53fa6ceae2&_uhb=1

Ferret
14th July 2013, 02:27 AM
yeh no cv noises pretty smooth in 4 wheel but defently wheel bearings are gone and id say those knuckle bearings are cactus lol muddrunner i was looking at that kit i think thats the option i guess for this old thanks guys learn somthing new everyday much appreciated

GQ TANK
14th July 2013, 10:47 PM
You will require Grease and Rags and about 10 hours

I use toilet paper - roll per side

Took me around 4 hours per side - including a beer or 2

yep - you will need grease and a few tools.

Ferret
20th July 2013, 05:59 PM
Lmaoooo yea not a Problem I think this ones gonna be for the local mechanic lol

lhurley
20th July 2013, 07:09 PM
Just get a quote first. It would not be a cheap exercise thats for sure. I would be thinking somewhere around the $1k mark

Blownlc
20th July 2013, 08:26 PM
I bought my swivel hub rebuilt kit from patrolapart for $185. It's actually a pretty simple process to change everything.

When you pull each component out, lay it on a piece of board in the same way and order that it came out.
Clean as you go on the dismantle. And grease as you go on the reinstatement.
It is a little time consuming, but very rewarding when you realise how much money you have saved yourself!

It's not as hard as sounds. Good luck.

LESS YAP YAP, MORE TAP TAP!!

Ferret
5th August 2013, 12:26 AM
Yea I'm done the mechanic wanted 500 for the instal not chance I was gonna pay that so I went ahead and done it all my self took longer then I thought I'm left with 2 seals and I was just gonna ask is there 2 seals inside the diff am I gonna gonna have to pull those axles out again and then drop the diff centre to get them 2 seals ... Cause it's not like other I have Seen the axle seals suppose to be at the end off the housing don't if that make sence.... Unsure were to find the axle deal thanks boys

Ferret
5th August 2013, 12:34 AM
And a quick question... Instead off the old locking nuts for the bearings I was hearing that maybe a set of gu lock nuts just love the design not a chance in the world for them buggers to come loose any done this or no if they are same thread size to mk .... Thanks again

mudski
5th August 2013, 06:11 PM
If the seals are small, about a 50c piece size they will axle seals. Located just behind the hub. Axles need to be removed of course but not the centre. If you have already filled the diff up with oil and there is no leaks. Leave it.

Ferret
5th August 2013, 07:14 PM
No seal in there it's weird confused shatterd I can't upload pics on here due to using this forum via phone ....

mudski
5th August 2013, 08:52 PM
Just so others can see. Here is the seal in question
Goddammmmmit!!! Bloody motorcraputre! Hang on.
-----------------
I tapped that app

Worst App ever!!! Anyhow, this is what the seal looks like from the pic I was trying to upload from my phone but MC is too dumb to let me.

Ermagerd! Now I have apparently exceeded my upload quota here!!!!
see this bloody link.
http://www.quicksales.com.au/ad/front-axle-seal-nissan-patrol-g60/4793298

Ferret
6th August 2013, 01:57 AM
I'm all done just finished in late thanks to use all for the help and effort use put in I got em done and they were hiding ... The diff centre come out and they were right there .... Thanks mudski for letting me brake your balls cheers

mudski
7th August 2013, 10:28 AM
Lol no probs at all mate. I did these seals around 15 years ago when I had an MK shorty. But couldn't remember where they went until you found it and pointed it out to me as from GQ onwards they put the axle seals at the end of the axle tubes...

Ferret
7th August 2013, 03:44 PM
Yea it's s pretty prick off a spot I reckon hard to get too ...

Cabzii
4th September 2013, 12:54 PM
I Recently bought an MQ SWB with the have the same issue. great info thanks!