PDA

View Full Version : Extended shackles

Ferret
6th July 2013, 09:49 PM
Hey everyone just wondering if I could get a pair off land cruiser bj73 extended shackles to fit on my mk patrol what's the chances off this happening ?

GQ TANK
7th July 2013, 06:11 PM
I dont know the bj73 shackles.

You can get ones made for the mk / mq patrol - look for some that are designed to prevent spring inversion.

Ferret
9th July 2013, 02:55 AM
yea atm i have a situation were the front end has sagged atleast 50mm very noticable nd ugly lol dont no what to do ,,,, extended shackles may take the nose dive to a next level ,,,,,,

threedogs
9th July 2013, 07:35 AM
Give Snake Racing a buzz they do 2" extended.
remember if you only do rear you lift 1" if you do
front and rear you get 2" lift all around. Very well built BTW
I fitted them on the rear of my Troopy

Ferret
10th July 2013, 03:38 AM
what do you mean just rear do people only lift the rear not the front ........

threedogs
10th July 2013, 07:36 AM
My Troopy sat nose up due to lighter V8 chev, so fitted 2" extended in the rear to level how it looked.
Ideally I'd like a down hill slightly look but level worked out ok. Anti inversion BTW

Ferret
12th July 2013, 03:18 AM
Yea same prob as you mate only the other way around I sit nose down yukkkkk thanks for the advice anyway is there anyway off getting that nose up a trick or 2

GQ TANK
12th July 2013, 09:41 PM
If I remember the snake racing shackles are designed to prevent inversion

Other option is to get the spings reset - done this on a 85 hilux years ago. -I dont know if broklen springs still do them

get an extra leaf or to and

Ferret
14th July 2013, 02:22 AM
thanks boys

Crankshaft
23rd September 2013, 06:03 PM
I turned up a little gem of information...
Extended shackles are those that are CUT and made longer. I have seen a pair for sale on ebay, Not legal and in that case crappy work and should have been illegal.
but longer shackles are not prohibited.. So if you make longer shackles they are not extended.

edsnm
18th January 2014, 02:22 AM
I've seen some extended shackles on a friends TLC, and them have always make me feel nervous. I just dont trust in bolts suporting the whole car weight

Frosty MK
18th July 2015, 12:47 AM
I was just wondering a very newbie question, but aren't extended shackles illegel?

MudRunnerTD
18th July 2015, 12:55 AM
I was just wondering a very newbie question, but aren't extended shackles illegel?

Yes I believe so. So is a 3" lift. And 35" tyres.

james008
21st July 2015, 07:17 AM
They certainly are. I'm not even sure you could get them engineered.
If you paint them black and don't draw any unwanted attention to yourself then I don't think they would cause an issue.

Edit: I was referring to aftermarket extended shackles above.
You should never, ever run shackles that have been cut and welded to extend them.