PDA

View Full Version : wire rope preventative maintenance.

mudnut
6th July 2013, 07:53 PM
G,day, all. I have tried the search function, but haven't struck pay dirt on the subject. Is it advisable to use water repellent sprays, such as CRC, or wd40, on the cable? Or does it rot out the wire.

NP99
6th July 2013, 10:11 PM
This might help:

http://www.fuchs.com.au/categories.asp?cID=25&c=63940

mudnut
6th July 2013, 10:38 PM
Ok, what do most of you blokes use?

megatexture
7th July 2013, 09:07 AM
Best way is to remove it from the winch put on some rope then place the wire in the back shed so it won't get kinked/frayed:smiley_thumbs_up:

mudnut
7th July 2013, 09:54 AM
Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm sold on dyneema, but that and the sheath to stop the brake melting it is way down the list of mods needed. So I'm stuck with the wire for the moment.:(

threedogs
7th July 2013, 12:32 PM
I would think in the old days , guys would clean with a brush and some diesel. Pat dry then spray CRC or Lanotec to prevent rust.
You also don't want to attract dirt, your local sling/shackle shop may sell SWR cleaner, as MT suggests remove it, Dyneema is now
$179 free post for 40mtrs of 10mm. Less weight on front end has to be good.

GQ TANK
7th July 2013, 03:19 PM
The most important maintenance for wire rope is to ensue that once you have used it - you run it and put it back onto the winch correctly layered with no cross overs. If you winch and the rope is laying on a vcross over it can kink the rope.

I spray my wire ropr with onox once in a while

threedogs
7th July 2013, 03:26 PM
Plus always wear leather glove when ever handling SWR,
be very wary of broken wires they do hurt.

Kinks are a weak point if not too far from end have new hook or eyelet swaged on,
throwing damaged part away. Respool under tension With the last 10 ft or so quickly
criss crossed over tightly spooled SWR, Be careful respooling with gloves too as winch
will grab gloves and feed your fingers in, stand back 4ft to give yourself some room

menace 2
7th July 2013, 05:18 PM
there is proper ligued type grease that sticks for SWR..but it makes for a messy affair if you have to handle it

Rocol

First Patrol
2nd October 2013, 03:42 PM
We use a wire rope lubricant on our cranes which does not attract dust lubricates etc. if it's recommended on crane winches i would use it on my 4x4 winch I'll get brand name soon mate

Stand by